Bad Reads

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
trouthound

Re: Bad Reads

Post by trouthound » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:31 am

Bobwhite wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:00 pm
mitch aka 2 fish wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:11 am
trout fishing in america.

he went home and killed himself.
the end.

cheers.
Mayonnaise
Never heard of the book, i Just read the wiki page, kind of reminds me of Naked Lunch in its description. I appreciate the cliff note review Mitch, saved me the effort. Id have gotten into it and been pissed it wasn't describing some sweet honey holes all across this land of mine.
The lord chooses the good ones...the bad ones choose the lord

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm

I’m a Richard Brautigan fan, bought a book in Camden Maine (where there are no fish) and was sitting at a bar where I had casually laid the book with the back of the dustjacket facing the bartented. I was carrying on a conversation with my lady and the bartender kept giving me the eye. Finally he spoke and said he was freaked out by my uncanny resemblance to the deceased author of the book.
http://www.brautigan.net/
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm

My guess is that bartender was probably drunk AF. Obviously not a Zepp fan. Looks more like the late John Bonham. Keith, keep dreaming ya olde git!
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Eider wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:44 pm
I'm reading Peter Matthesian's The Snow Leopard. I'm on the fence. I began reading it 10 years ago, but stopped. Recently, I started again. I can't decide if its a good or bad read. I'm still not done with it.
First time I picked up Arctic Dreams, I put it down a hundred pages in. I wasn't ready for it. I've read it three times. It's my bible. (Read that once and was done).

It occurs to me I need to read it again. The last few years have been pretty weird, but I'm pretty sure I'm back in my head again.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

peetso

Post by peetso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 pm

SLSS wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 pm
Eider wrote:
I'm reading Peter Matthesian's The Snow Leopard. I'm on the fence. I began reading it 10 years ago, but stopped. Recently, I started again. I can't decide if its a good or bad read. I'm still not done with it.
First time I picked up Arctic Dreams, I put it down a hundred pages in. I wasn't ready for it. I've read it three times. It's my bible. (Read that once and was done).

It occurs to me I need to read it again. The last few years have been pretty weird, but I'm pretty sure I'm back in my head again.
That's exactly how I feel about the snow leopard, i reread it every few years. Its like a little mental recalibration every time.

Eider, keep going with it and i promise you'll still be on the fence with it at the end, until the next time you read it, it will then seem like you've been giving some kind of magical gift or some shit, honestly.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 pm

peetso wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 pm
SLSS wrote:
Eider wrote:

That's exactly how I feel about the snow leopard, i reread it every few years. Its like a little mental recalibration every time.

Eider, keep going with it and i promise you'll still be on the fence with it at the end, until the next time you read it, it will then seem like you've been giving some kind of magical gift or some shit, honestly.
Yes.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Eider

Post by Eider » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:00 pm

I finished it I read while in the bath (where I am immune to wife and 1-year old and its hot enough to draw a sweat. Sweat is key thought. I had some insights, but I am not ready. I'll wait 10 years and try again.
-JDE

Eider

Post by Eider » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 pm

I'm going to re-read the Earthsea trilogy - Ursula Leguin. I named my god after the beast. Rereading a book is often an enlightening experience. It will remind me why he's such an ass. His name is Ged.

CC Riebeeck

Post by CC Riebeeck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Had Snow Leopard as my operating system...

As for the book...
The exhaustive rhapsodic missives that verge on proselytizing are an irritant.

Flying spaghetti monster by any other name.

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:26 pm

SLSS wrote:
Eider wrote:

I loved Arctic Dreams. When I came across this passage, it really hit me:

"How is one to live a moral and compassionate existence when one is fully aware of the blood, the horror inherent in life, when one finds darkness not only in one’s culture but within oneself? If there is a stage at which an individual life becomes truly adult, it must be when one grasps the irony in its unfolding and accepts responsibility for a life lived in the midst of such paradox. One must live in the middle of contradiction, because if all contradiction were eliminated at once life would collapse. There are simply no answers to some of the great pressing questions. You continue to live them out, making your life a worthy expression of leaning into the light."

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:56 pm

or, lean into the dark.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 pm

T.J. Brayshaw wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:26 pm
SLSS wrote:
Eider wrote:

I loved Arctic Dreams. When I came across this passage, it really hit me:

"How is one to live a moral and compassionate existence when one is fully aware of the blood, the horror inherent in life, when one finds darkness not only in one’s culture but within oneself? If there is a stage at which an individual life becomes truly adult, it must be when one grasps the irony in its unfolding and accepts responsibility for a life lived in the midst of such paradox. One must live in the middle of contradiction, because if all contradiction were eliminated at once life would collapse. There are simply no answers to some of the great pressing questions. You continue to live them out, making your life a worthy expression of leaning into the fire."
Fire.jpg
Fire.jpg (110.99 KiB) Viewed 228 times