Bourbon drinkers

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
B.M. Barrelcooker

Re: Bourbon drinkers

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:06 am

"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:27 pm

I like bourbon as much as I like the other whiskies, but the thing about bourbon is that the variation among them is so much less than that among, say, the Scotch whiskies that I'm sort of amazed it has taken off like this. I will spend a lot more money on a Scotch whisky than a bourbon, not because I like Scotch more but just because often I know it's going to be very different from what I currently have at home so it will round out the collection nicely. When I have spent more on bourbons, I end up thinking "Yeah, that's tasty but not five times more tasty, or different, from what I can get in a square bottle with a black label for $13."

I just wonder if we're going to start seeing some pretty wild versions of "bourbon" - seems the only way the market could support so many distillers all making the same basic spirit.

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Bulleit in my local, is close to $35. Its good, but 4 Roses Single & Evan Single is $28. I guess the diff pays for my Whorvis Super Snap leaders.

A friend from down under brought a Tasmanian Scotch. I suppose it should be granted a proper taste.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:26 pm

My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:26 pm

Bulleit 10 year is REAL FUCKING GOOD

DizzyDean

Post by DizzyDean » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks for the heads up, been enjoying the Bulleit Rye lately when I haven't been drinking the Woodfords. I'll keep an eye out for the 10 year.
my blog from the Sierras

http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com

James

Post by James » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:20 am

SOBF wrote:Bulleit 10 year is REAL FUCKING GOOD
Hell yes.

fatman

Post by fatman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/sty ... justified/

relates: Much like me, after this exchange Raylan proceeds to get his ass kicked...
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

2weight

Post by 2weight » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:01 pm

Ol' Pappy may not survive this one.

nicklenuts

Post by nicklenuts » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:16 pm

James wrote:
SOBF wrote:Bulleit 10 year is REAL FUCKING GOOD
Hell yes.

I can't decide what I like better, Bulleit 10 or the Balvenie 12. Good problem to have

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:23 am

Biggest bourbon myths
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/ ... bon-myths/
I'm not a big drinker, so, is this true?
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

2weight

Post by 2weight » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 am

1. Jack Daniel's is bourbon.
Correct. Jack Daniel's is Tennessee Whiskey. Same basic mash bill but passed through charcoal.
2. All bourbon is made in Kentucky.
Sure, you can make bourbon elsewhere, but why? They're making "good" bourbon in Texas, but you can't tell me that somebody outside of Austin is replicating the natural temperature variations that they get in Kentucky.
3. Older bourbon is better.
Usually, but not always. Older bourbon is *generally* not as alcohol "hot" as a younger variety.
4. You can't add ice and mixers.
I like an Old Fashioned, but I'm not using anything more expensive than Beam to make it.