This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Bobwhite
El General...

I just love your avatard... I want to watch it for hours on end.

Maybe it's the bourbon.
By Greenback
Now before you go all apoplectic, I know damn good and well it's not bourbon. Says right there on the bottle that it's Sour Mash. But this is good stuff. Always has been, always will be.
Attachments:
jack_daniels.jpg
jack_daniels.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
By BigCliff
Lenny wrote:Call me stoopid, but Im pretty damn happy with the 24 oz Beam n Ginger I just poured :cool :cool
Help me out here: big fan of both ingredients, but not the combo. What's wrong?

2nd Q: should I give up on finding something better than Knob Creek at its price?
By Mr. Don
Smithhammer wrote:
BigCliff wrote:
2nd Q: should I give up on finding something better than Knob Creek at its price?
Probably. For less than $25, Knob Creek is one of the best, imo.
I agree. The Knob is purty good shit.
By Outcast
Greenback wrote:Now before you go all apoplectic, I know damn good and well it's not bourbon. Says right there on the bottle that it's Sour Mash. But this is good stuff. Always has been, always will be.

Hey greenback, both bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are made from sour mash. The difference is that they don't know how to make a good mash in Tennessee so they have to filter the whiskey through charcoal before they put it in barrels just to make it barely drinkable. I guess if you add enough Coke just about any whiskey is drinkable right? Only straight Kentucky spirits for this kid.
By Veetch
Outcast wrote:
Greenback wrote:Now before you go all apoplectic, I know damn good and well it's not bourbon. Says right there on the bottle that it's Sour Mash. But this is good stuff. Always has been, always will be.

Hey greenback, both bourbon and Tennessee whiskey are made from sour mash. The difference is that they don't know how to make a good mash in Tennessee so they have to filter the whiskey through charcoal before they put it in barrels just to make it barely drinkable. I guess if you add enough Coke just about any whiskey is drinkable right? Only straight Kentucky spirits for this kid.
I thought it was the difference in grain/corn ratio
By Kylemc
Outcast wrote:[ Only straight Kentucky spirits for this kid.
me too..

only 2 good things come out of KY...Likker and I-75
By Outcast
Veetch wrote:
I thought it was the difference in grain/corn ratio

In order to be called "straight bourbon whiskey" by law the distiller must meet some requirements.

1. The mash must be at least 51% corn
2. Cannot come out of the still at more than 160 proof
3. Must be 100% natural. Nothing but water may be added.
4. Must be aged in NEW charred American white oak barrels
5. May not be introduced to the barrel at more than 125 proof
5. Must be aged a minimum of 2 years.
6. Must be made in the United States.

The fundamental difference between bourbon and Tennessee whiskey is the "Lincoln County Process" in which the distiller filters the whiskey through a thick layer of Maple charcoal prior to placing it in barrels and aging. Also, Tennessee whiskey is not subject to the same laws as bourbon ie. mash standards, proof standards, aging standards etc. etc. etc.
By BigCliff
Outcast wrote:
Veetch wrote:
6. Must be made in the United States.

You sure about that? I was informed that to be called Bourbon it had to be made in Kentucky, like Scotch from Scotland and Champagne from that region in Frogland.
By Outcast
Bourbon can be made anywhere in the U.S. and still be called bourbon. Of this I am most certain.
By Greenback
Outcast wrote:The difference is that they don't know how to make a good mash in Tennessee.
Debatable.

Lem's been making purdy good mash for over a century and there are lots of folks who'd agree.

Maybe we should settle this over a bottle.

:cool

E8A1C7C4-2838-4ABE-B460-2620478A53CD.jpeg Maybe[…]

whatcha tying?

That spider is sexy

me water gods likes his frozen ifin mur of it dont[…]

Brood X

Nvm, Googl-Machine told me. Periodical cica[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine