This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By FlyFishNut
Last week I turned 40 and realized I may be halfway to the Dirt Nap.

Since I graduated from college I've worked....worked... worked.. and carved out a lucrative territory, but the economy has taken a bite out of things.

So, if I have to start over shouldn't I do it at the coast vs here in RatRaceLand?

Of course the opportunity will not be as lucrative there, but dammit I've been working like a Gov't Mule and chasing awards and affirmation from the establishment. Fck those bastards.

I think it's time to pull up stakes. Pack up the kids, dogs and wife and move to the coast where I can fish a helluva lot more. Downsize, simplify and stop chasing dollars and chase more fishes.

- Not sure why I am sharing this epiphany with you Ass Hags other than the thought that you would understand and I'm sure I'll face a barrage of flack from the Non-Fishing-Nay-Sayers who will discount my decision. (ooh. Nice alliteration if I may say so myself).

FUCK THEM.
By RFA
you only live once. I did it after college, and love that I made the decision. I am thinking of making the move to Florida myself....fuck it, you only live once. Do it.
By Fishlore
Yeah, my wifes family is down there..Thats all i've heard since we got back a couple weeks ago is "Lets move to Florida honey"... This means i take a pay cut but i get to romp in the salt for a while. I'm goin again next week... We should just build a Drake neighborhood down there..
I say do it to it man..Won't be long before i show with a uhaul and little skiff in tow..

:cheer
By Brookwookie
Is an ass hag anything like an ass raptor? Maybe minus the wingspan and talons but with more cigarette smoke and bitching.
By Bad Fish
I've never understood why in the hell people live to work, escpecially for an industry titan that only gives a shit about the bottom line. I live where I do because I fish, work is secondary. It's only money and you can't take it with you. Make the move man! Once you live to fish only then will you truly be living.
By Ty Webb
I moved to Florida full time 21 years ago, I have regretted it exactly 0 days.
Not saying Florida is good for you but if I did it over, I would do it over.

When I turn 50 I might move my family to the Bahamas.
By FlyFishNut
Bad Fish wrote:I've never understood why in the hell people live to work, escpecially for an industry titan that only gives a shit about the bottom line. I live where I do because I fish, work is secondary. It's only money and you can't take it with you. Make the move man! Once you live to fish only then will you truly be living.

Gracias... My skiff is paid fur and I have plenty of tackle. The kids can get student loans just like I did. It builds character.
By flyfishchick
run don't walk.

A few years ago I was dying on the vine at a very very good corporate job. I had the opportunity to work and become friends with Gov Ann Richards who was a wonderful mentor to me during some stressful times. One day I was sitting across from her, at her desk in her office. She was trying to find a copy of a Playboy article where Owen Wilson had mentioned her in an interview. In the midst of her project she re-focused on me and my issues and said, "Pull yourself together and get happy. Life Isn't a dress reherasal."

I promptly resigned and went fishing in montana/idaho for ten days. Never looked back.

She died a year later and I think of her all the time when I wonder what to do next. She was living large til the end.
By Time Flies
Pull the eject cord. Money's not everything. Great if it can buy you trips to cool spots (that's if the wife grants you the hall pass and your vacation time allows), but life's too short to not enjoy the time in between vacations. I'll turn 40 in Sept. Three years ago, I took a position that let me dump my 3 hours of commuting every day so I could work from home. Now I fish (and ski) much more. Maybe the career thing won't be moving along as quickly as before for me, but I'm waaayy happier and wouldn't change a thing.

My 8 year old said to me yesterday, in fact, that she used to forget that she had a dad when I was humping into Boston everyday. That puts things in perspective for me.
By BigCliff
flyfishchick wrote:run don't walk.

A few years ago I was dying on the vine at a very very good corporate job. I had the opportunity to work and become friends with Gov Ann Richards who was a wonderful mentor to me during some stressful times. One day I was sitting across from her, at her desk in her office. She was trying to find a copy of a Playboy article where Owen Wilson had mentioned her in an interview. In the midst of her project she re-focused on me and my issues and said, "Pull yourself together and get happy. Life Isn't a dress reherasal."

I promptly resigned and went fishing in montana/idaho for ten days. Never looked back.

She died a year later and I think of her all the time when I wonder what to do next. She was living large til the end.
"Pull yourself together and get happy. Life Isn't a dress reherasal."

Very cool. You ever get to hang out with Molly Ivins as well?

If so, Perry was awful nice to ya considering.

Clarkman, Thanks for bumping this and keeping Sco[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

EHC Jingler https://live.staticflickr.com/65[…]

I'm a racist cunt :stupid

If You’re Planning To Come To Montana

Sweet! Congrats. Dillon is cool — it&rsqu[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine