This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Are you fishing still or moving water? Or both? A 6 will work in still, I landed a 9 pound Carp on my 6 Z-Axis last summer with no problem. Moving water tho, you'll want a 7 or 8. TFO's are good rods for the money, I think I have an 8 4-piece sitting around here somewhere. It is however, the only rod I've ever owned that has a nasty habit of launching the top two sections on the forward cast into beautiful Steelhead runs.
By RFA
Bad Fish wrote:It is however, the only rod I've ever owned that has a nasty habit of launching the top two sections on the forward cast into beautiful Steelhead runs.
Shit - you too??? Not a TFO, but I have a 9 wt. Redington SuperSport that does the same thing. I was casting at dawn in Boca Raton in April, waves hitting me in the waist, when "POP"....I looked and saw just the butt section in my hand. I looked down, and nothing...just saltwater and waves at my feet, they had washed the top 3 sections away. The next 30 seconds was a mad scramble of pulling line and running back and forth on the rocks chasing them as they washed around in the current. I went back to the condo and applied a liberal amount of candlewax on the ferrules....went back, and the same F'n thing happened 2 days later...same retard running around chasing parts of his fishing rod.

I called Redington and they said "Did you try putting candlewax on the ferrules?".....shit.
I've been looking at a 7 wt because it seems a bit more versatile but some of the real carpers round these parts have said a 7 wt is too heavy. I'm thinking that with a 7 wt I can fish for bass, steelbows, carp, etc. I just looked at an Albright 7 wt, and for the rod, reel and line they want $200. All new gear.

If I've only got the flow for one heavy rod WTF should I do?
RFA and Badfish,

Candlewax helps. GIving the ferrule a slight (45*+or-) twist as you push the ferrules together helps more. I have a Scott and a TFO that used to come apart every time I fished them, sometimes several times a day. Someone told me about the twist trick and neither one of them have come apart (until I wanted them to) since. If the problem persists either send the rods back for ferrule replacement or tape 'em up with some electrical tape.
Greenback wrote:If I've only got the flow for one heavy rod WTF should I do?
Yeah dude, grab a 7. It's the perfect compromise. It'll be sweet for the Carp in the teens, which most of them seem to be, unless they are those monster grass fed pieces of crap I can never catch. Just don't try to land a 28 pounder in moving water, thy ass will be in thy hand.
must have not read what I posted? ECHO CARBON!!!!!! $169 hard earned dollars!!! Cast great like a Loomis and designed by a Loomis guru . Albrights are a knot as far as I am concerned!
By TX.
I've (or my sports) have broken every rod made.
They all have their pluses and minuses, I've broken more Shimano's Loomis' for no reason than any others...

I know that what I dig is CS and TFO's is second to none. Rajeff makes a badassed rod as well and back it up.
I've heard more warranty horror story's from sports usin' Sages and Shimano's Loomis' and in my experience, Sage was good w/ CS and Shimano's Loomis sucked sweaty balls.

You don't need to dump 7 bills for an acceptable rod these days.
I'd jump on the deal if you've cast one and think it will fit.
After all, it's just a "fishpole".

[EDIT: I'm takin' this to carpspace.]
I have a TFO TiCrX 6wt and it is the rod i pick up if i need to do some stump pulling to keep the carp out of the trees. I also use a Sage smallmouth rod sometimes and that works well on the fish heading for the sticks. Dont put a stupid bend in em and you wont break em.
Echo sent me a rod with the reel seat on backwards. The replacement but section that I got allows the blank to spin in the cork handle.

I've got some TFO's and a few Loomis' as well. They all catch the hall outta a lot of stuff.

Just buy the damn thing. You want it and can afford it, so do it!

TX. wrote:I know that what I dig is CS and TFO's is second to none. Rajeff makes a badassed rod as well and back it up.
I've heard more warranty horror story's from sports usin' Sages and Shimano's Loomis' and in my experience, Sage was good w/ CS and Shimano's Loomis sucked sweaty balls.
TFO does have some very nice CS.
And while I have never really been a fan of loomis (Although I love the original GLX rods) I think the comment about their CS sucking has probably changed since you last dealt with them.

Have you looked at Loomis' CS- Where else can you call the factory and they ship you another replacement rod.

From Loomis' Website
Xpeditor Program Details
A broken rod will never keep you off the water again. With the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service you can get a brand new rod to replace a broken one, delivered to your doorstep in as little as two days. Even if you’re on a trip away from home (anywhere in the U.S.). No questions asked, no waiting around for warranty claims, and it saves you the usual hassle and expense of packaging, insuring and shipping your broken rod. Plus, you avoid any and all fees for rod repair.

Here’s how it works. Contact our Customer Service Department (1-800-GLOOMIS) and request the G.Loomis Xpeditor Service. Let us know whether you have a factory built rod or a custom built rod using a G.Loomis blank. Tell us the model number and rod series. If we no longer offer the model that you broke, we will replace it with what we determine to be the closest comparable model from our current product line. Pending stock availability, we will ship you a current replacement rod or blank (depending on what you broke) via standard ground delivery. Then when you receive your new rod or blank, simply remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod or blank into that same tube and affix the enclosed, pre-paid shipping label on the outside of the tube. Once you hand off the package to your delivery agent, you’re done and back on the water. The cost: $50 for standard ground delivery in the Continental U.S. or $65 for 2-day service in the Continental U.S. or shipments to Alaska/Hawaii. Just charge it with your Master Card or Visa. Demo rods, pushpoles and reels are excluded from this program. It's faster, less expensive and more "user-friendly" than any other option available (except maybe avoiding breakage altogether). If you do not return the broken rod within 30 days of the receipt of your replacement rod, you authorize G. Loomis to charge your credit card for the full manufacturer’s suggested retail price of the replacement rod in addition to the $50 or $65 already paid.

Xpeditor Online!

Not only can you take advantage of our Xpeditor Service by calling our customer service team, you can utilize this service through our website as well! This on-line service is available for current G.Loomis products only. It is very important that you enter the rod model just as you see it in the catalog portion of the web-site. If you are unable to find your model please call customer service at 1-(800)GLOOMIS (or 800-456-6647) and they will be happy to help you.

Please Note: When using this service, if the rod you are receiving as a replacement is out of stock at the time that you place your order, there will be a delay in shipping out your Xpeditor package.
I agree on at least moving up to a 7, though all of my carpin' is in rivers and those western carp seem to run a little smaller than ours- at least from looking at pics. I watched a friend battle one that woulda probably went between 10-15lbs with a 6 for like 15 minutes before he lost it. He never really had any control over that fish, jut kind of had to hold on and hope for it to get tired.

I'll sell you my carp rod for $75, PM if you're interested.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

I'm still lurking around. And the snow is melting[…]

Hah. You don’t get an answer while we&r[…]

If You’re Planning To Come To Montana

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpete[…]

Things That PISS Me Off!

jeff grosso. poor fucker.

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine