This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By m.b.
cantfishforshit wrote:
nemo wrote:We will all have plenty of time for blame. But what we need RIGHT FUCKING NOW is an engineer who knows how to fix a blowout preventer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/us/01engineering.html

I will only make three "political" statements. I feel equally as strong about each one.

1) There are an awful lot of people screaming very loudly lately about how badly they want the government out of their lives. Then something like this happens, and they want the government to fix it.

2) Obama cannot call for an increase in offshore drilling one week, then come back a few weeks later and condemn that very industry because something went wrong. You are either serious about reforming energy policy or you aren't.

3) This is NOT like Katrina. Katrina was a natural disaster made much worse by a shitty response. This is a human-caused disaster made worse by an enormously wealthy oil company misleading us all about the scope of the spill and what was being done to contain it. In BOTH instances, the immediate response by our federal government was inadequate.

A) We want the government out of our PRIVATE lives...shit like this, they need to have the ability to deal with.
B) Obama can insist on safety valves/equipment that works
C) I agree

"A) We want the government out of our PRIVATE lives...shit like this, they need to have the ability to deal with."

bingo. why is this concept so hard for so many of you dumbasses to understand?

personally, i don't want the government to fix it, i want BP and Transocean to fix it.

i have to admit, i was pretty surprised the "it's bush's fault" came from Jed. nice one, buddy.
By BigTimber
I'm outraged that you're outraged. It's easy to be outraged. See, I just did it.

First, God be with the families that lost someone in this accident.

Second, The fucking backup to the backup failed. If anyone's got a better idea, let's hear it. It's the freakest of freak accidents and now we've got to deal with it.
Honestly, did you think this shit just comes out of the ground all nice and neat? No, it's a dangerous, dirty fucking business, and I can tell you from experience that BP has the strictest of safety and environmental policies. I'm not defending them (because they are assholes), but I'm pretty sure every precaution had been taken to prevent this. But, it fucking happened, and now we've got to fix it and learn from it.

Third, The best bet to fix it is going to be drilling the well to intersect and plug this one.

Sorry nemo, I can't breathe water or i'd be down there.

Yes, I am dirty oilfield trash. Let the persecution begin.
By Ajax
m.b. wrote:personally, i don't want the government to fix it, i want BP and Transocean to fix it.
Me too. And if they don't remedy the problem at light speed, I want the CEO's thrown into the NOLA drunk tank along with the average Saturday night mix of white-lightning lunatics and crackheads, where they shall remain, bleeding bungs and all, until that well is capped, the mess cleaned up, and the injured parties compensated. I'm all for small government, but until the Mr Bigs in these corporations are raked across the coals, we're going to need Uncle Sam to step in and save what's left. Look at the litany of lies that those cocksuckers at BP have cut loose with already. They give a fat fuck about the reds and canvasbacks in the marshes; it boils down to $$$ for them, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
By woolly bugger
Ajax wrote:
m.b. wrote:personally, i don't want the government to fix it, i want BP and Transocean to fix it.
Me too. And if they don't remedy the problem at light speed, I want the CEO's thrown into the NOLA drunk tank along with the average Saturday night mix of white-lightning lunatics and crackheads, where they shall remain, bleeding bungs and all, until that well is capped, the mess cleaned up, and the injured parties compensated. I'm all for small government, but until the Mr Bigs in these corporations are raked across the coals, we're going to need Uncle Sam to step in and save what's left. Look at the litany of lies that those cocksuckers at BP have cut loose with already. They give a fat fuck about the reds and canvasbacks in the marshes; it boils down to $$$ for them, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.
The federal government has a large rainy day fund on hand to help mitigate the expanding damage on the Gulf Coast, generated by a tax on oil for use in cases like the Deepwater Horizon spill.

Up to $1 billion of the $1.6 billion reserve could be used to compensate for losses from the accident, as much as half of it for what is sometimes a major category of costs: damage to natural resources like fisheries and other wildlife habitats.

Under the law that established the reserve, called the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund, the operators of the offshore rig face no more than $75 million in liability for the damages that might be claimed by individuals, companies or the government, although they are responsible for the cost of containing and cleaning up the spill.
my bold...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/us/02 ... tml?ref=us
By flybug.pa.
there would be alot more people outraged if this woud have /could have happened on ''their" homewater, even if it wouldn't be oil but a man made eco -disaster contaminated fishery etc, chemical spill ,in the Yellowstone , Bristol bay for example.
:coffee
By BigCliff
I was tying salt stuff last night and then had the thought, "why?".

There's a good chance fishing on the entire US Gulf coast is fucked until my 18mo old is in first grade. Guess I'll fish rivers and herd cats soccering pre-schoolers til then.

Came across this first hand account of the initial explosion from a guy fishing for blackfin at the rig- http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6104
By Woolybug25
Ty Webb wrote:
Woolybug25 wrote:I made a post in the politics page that went largely ignored. Unfortunetely, there are many on this board that will make this into a political rant.
Anybody know if the Keys will be effected? I will be there in a couple months.
Have fun in the keys, meanwhile I could be bankrupted by then along with thousands of other gulf coast small business owners. Let's see who politicized what....
My comment wasn't meant to offend any of the conservatives on the board. It was really suppose to be aimed at it not being a political issue at all. I put my thread into the politics board because thats where I knew the topic of conversation would end up. Case in point... the last three pages of this thread.

Stay strong down there dude. I hope things work out for you.
By Ty Webb
I wasn't offended by it, but Jed's was just pathetic.

I heard today they are looking for boaters in Louisiana and the rest of the delta to assist in certain
segments but now that it's a Federal clean-up effort all volunteers must undergo 40 hours of
haz-mat training to be qualified...

so that will be a wasted 2 weeks at minimum while they bid out the opportunity to train volunteers.
By ditchdoc
SOBF wrote:
I think the real responsibility lays at the feet of the companies who make their profits on fossil fuels.
Let's not over simplify this Ditch. My brother's company that he owns makes profits from fossil fuels. He works all over the world and employs a bunch of folks. He has about two more folks than he needs (for the last 2 years) and has kept them on because he can afford to and it it the right thing to do.
Not all folks who make a nickel off petrol are evil. Pretty sure the guys that died in that explosion were making good money.
Definitely not over simplifying this. And I did not say everyone in the fossil fuels industry is to blame. I was writing about this incident and those involved. I do have to say that the men who were killed are dead, no matter how good their wages were, and it's no consolation to their families.
By cantfishforshit
flybug.pa. wrote:there would be alot more people outraged if this woud have /could have happened on ''their" homewater, even if it wouldn't be oil but a man made eco -disaster contaminated fishery etc, chemical spill ,in the Yellowstone , Bristol bay for example.
Very true statement. I tend to be a centerist (both sides fucking hate me), but I will be buying hybrids and electrics from here on out (I will have to drive my current car longer to do it, but it can be done). I can't wait to get out from under fucking OPEC et al.
Last edited by cantfishforshit on Sun May 02, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Eider
I really hope they make BP pay through the nose for this. Failed equipment is absolutely no excuse for screwing up. It's your job. Do it right or pack your bags. Every other industry is like that, we just have a love affair with the oil industry, therefore they are exempt from severe punishment. Thanks Amurica!

I wrote a letter to Obama and the MT senators when he got into office and they were discussing the economic stimulus bill. All 8 pages outlining why and how I think we should go about forming a ecological restoration-based industry, funded by those companies that put our resources at risk the most(e.g., oil companies, mining companies) and our tax dollars (i'd rather pay for that than welfare). The introduction went as follows, and I think hits on why this has happened (although i try to offer a shimmer of hope through that "Change" thing we were promised):

As our country moves through extremely difficult economic times, it has fallen upon the Obama administration to free our ailing businesses and homeowners from the quagmire of financial instability. It has fallen upon this new administration to change the industrial practices of the United States that have too long been entwined in a paradigm of greed, corruption, and single-mindedness. It has fallen on this new administration to lift the spirits of the American people to whom the American Dream has become little more than a broken promise.
That American Dream, as Horatio Alger so skillfully wrote for the masses in Ragged Dick, is to rise up from humble beginnings to become free through moral actions, hard work, and clean living has been burned by corporate greed. Thomas Jefferson’s dream of the freedom of the yeoman farmer seems to have been tilled under by the plows of moral degradation, the desire for immediate gratification, and a loss of connection with the land that stretches from sea to shining sea. The freedom experienced by John Muir while he looked into the blue ice of glaciers hidden in the deep valleys of the Sierra’s has melted under the heat of oil company lobbyists, PETA representatives, and conservative religious groups. The now horribly maimed American Dream has become something that its people cannot possibly appreciate as something of moral, just, and productive substance. The American Citizen now looks at the country around them with confusion. How can a man from Michigan hold his head high when shortsightedness and greed of his superiors has taken away his ability to pay the mortgage? How can a woman hold her head high as her children are nursed by a television because she has to work two jobs to pay the heating bill? How can a country hold together if its people are seen as merely pawns within an industrial machine?
The freedom of the individual to enjoy “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” still exists as a phrase, however, it seems to have taken on a different meaning than the Founding Fathers intended. It seems as though the individual now has the freedom to purchase what he wants and the freedom to ride the train of progress. Progress, in this case, refers to maintaining a positive slope of the human production curve best described by Edward Abbey as a “growth is progress” mentality. The lives of people have been used to fuel national production like the coal thrown into the furnace. Meanwhile, people have been blinded by the increasingly materialistic structure of society and their paternal desire to make a good life for their children. For decades, making a better life for their children was an achievable goal and one that they could be proud of. The past decade, however, has seen that goal become increasing harder to obtain as unemployment rates climbed steadily at home, wars raged abroad, and concerns about the environment echo all over the globe. The train of progress has become obsolete.
A new train for the people must be built and a new track lain. If the United States and its citizen are to come together as Americans, the former must be the goal of the forthcoming economic stimulus package. It cannot simply buy a few new sections of track put in an energy efficient life-fed engine. The picture of the world has gained depth and clarity, and with it government entities must look to more comprehensive courses of action to address both economic and environmental shortcomings inherent in the current system.

Part I: Building the bridge between the economy and the environment
Part II: Restoration as an industry

Alas, no response. I guess it was too long for the short attention span of our political leaders who are fed nice short memos from lobbyists from all sides but the majority. Through their lack of response, in conjunction with what happened in West Virginia and on the Gulf Coast, I guess I have received an answer: "You, the monetarily-deficient, are doomed."

How I love living in a plutocracy! I think I'll create my own world and throw rocks at reality.
By flybug.pa.
THATS WHAT I FIGURED, NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION. NOT IN THE HEADLINES ON COMCAST. AND SAD TO SAY ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF YOU MOTHERS. MAY YOUR RIVER NEVER RUN BLACK .WAKE UP.
whatcha tying?

Mostly Kori spey fly

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Olive Bunny Cormorant https://live.staticfli[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

moving forward again after catching up with the ba[…]

Rock curry

That could be our final destination on the Tour […]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine