This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By ak_powder_monkey
[report]This time when the alarm went off, I actually got out of bed. No coffee, no food, just a quick shower, and scraping the ice off the windshield. The car starts on this day, another good one. I drive out the road, wondering what I would find. Just empty water is what I was expecting, maybe a dolly or two, but this is steelheading. I get to the flow and walk. I find the hole, you know the one, and look. I see nothing. I tie on a conehead Nicholai's Superfantastic Lip Spreading Wooly Bugger, my go to fly in a steelhead situation. The lip spreader is simply a black woolly with chartruse hackle and a bunch of blue flash in the tail. Nicholai designed this color combo for picky kings in clear water, so it follows that it'd catch picky steelhead in little creeks. I walk upstream to the head of the pool. HOLY SHIT thats a fish! This is where I fuck everything up, I just cast. I should have stopped and thought about it, should have studied the hole, should have done a lot of things. At any rate the fish moves, a mouth opens, I set... And watch my hook split the lips of the beast, he freaks, runs downstream. My fly sinks to the bottom of the pool. I keep casting, I saw a smaller fish. I lift the rod, holy cow there's a fish there! Immediately I know what it is, it jumps and runs for a log. My reel is loose I tighten the drag keep him out of the woods. Another jump, a head shake. A run, three jumps. I finally I'm able to lead him into a little pool and take a look. A few pictures and he's off.
Image[/report]
Last edited by ak_powder_monkey on Fri May 28, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By VTNZ
Cool stuff. :cool
By Redchaser
Good job monkey nuts. Now if you can get the girl to part her lips for your wooly bugger you'll be in good shape :cool
By Bobwhite
Way to go... ak_steel_monkey!
By woolly bugger
good chit monkey
By Redchaser
bump worthy
The days are receding ....

thanks for the thread and fam matters message been[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Squirmy worms are the hotness out here. Walk […]

Reads

Glad you're enjoying it Obie. I owe Tom a big th[…]