This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Redchaser
I'm in the midst of a long weekend, I've taken a couple of vacation days for Monday and Tuesday just to fish and chill. This past Thursday my nephew called me up. He's heard me tell fishing stories and knows I have it dialed in pretty well, and wanted to know if and when I could take him fishing. I knew there was a decent tide for late morning this morning for an area that's been holding a lot of fish, and is close so it's an easy trip. I told him to meet me at 9 this morning.

I agreed to take him fishing out of some sense of unclish obligation, but wasn't really looking forward to it. Mike is basically a nice guy, but he's just never gotten his act together. He's 31 years old and always bounced job to job, and always with some story about some angle he was working...all of his explanations always beginning with "I've got a buddy". In essence his plan for success in life rely's more on having the right hook up rather than working hard and bringing something of value to the workplace/market. Since he's between jobs right now, I was somewhat anticipating a day on the water of having to hear about his latest grand scheme. I was also a bit concerned that his idea of fishing may be to get shitfaced in a boat on the water, as he's a bit of a partier. Also, when I told him that I could take him and a friend fishing today, he immediately jumped into "great, I've got a couple of other buddies with boats that can follow us....etc" which I quickly threw a wet blanket on. One, I don't need a bunch of googans running all over the water I like to fish, and two, none of his buddies would know what the hell to do with a push pole and I'd have had to spend half the day getting boats unstuck.

I have to say Mike didn't live down to my expectations today and we had a good time. He showed up with his friend also named Mike, they picked up the tab for gas and ice and were good company in the boat. They were a bit remedial with regard to the fishing, but the fish were schooling and cooperating in spite of high water and much wind, and we were able to put 10 redfish in the boat. They tried the fly rod for a while but with all of the wind, I switched them off to spinning tackle, I caught a few reds on fly from the polling platform. It was a fun short trip and cool to reconnect with my nephew.
IMGP9742.jpg
IMGP9742.jpg (169.74 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Last edited by Redchaser on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By blumpkin
I am the N'er Do Well Uncle...

This is my Nephew #47 plays football, hockey and baseball... Has insane natural talent, but does not let it go to his head at all and works exponentially harder to better himself as an athlete each season. Scored 9 goals last time I was able to watch him play hockey, it was almost embarrassing... Loves to fish, cannot wait to start hunting, does great in school.

Most of my retirement schemes involve this kid making it to the major leagues...

At least I bring my A game every time I get to take him fishing, cannot wait to get him started bow hunting...

You are a good man Redchaser!
You too BM...
Attachments:
#47.jpg
#47.jpg (84.44 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
Here's the end result of the day. Redfish courtboullion, black eyed peas, and spring salad with slices of sauteed chicken liver,
IMGP9748.jpg
IMGP9748.jpg (170.36 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Last edited by Redchaser on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i dunno, that guy in the plaid shirt looks like slim shady to me. :cool

awesome eats too. I had to suffer through fresh caught fried grouper fingers this weekend.
Deerfly,

Your new avitard is about to give herself 2 black eyes.
This morning I got a call that was heartbreaking, but not surprising. At about 2:30am Mike was driving home, crossed the center line and hit another vehicle head on. He didn’t survive. He was 40. No tox report yet but we’re pretty sure we know what it will show. Mike never got over his self destructive habits, and never really got his shit together, but through all of his nonsense he always stayed close to the family. Any time we had a family get together, if he was at all able to he would be there, often having to get a ride because he frequently lost his driving privileges. I think the bosom of the family was the only place he felt grounded. He knew we loved him no matter what. He loved his two kids and spent what time with them he could. I really feel for them, but am greatful that their mom is great and they have a great step dad. I’m rambling now now, be at peace my nephew, your nonc loves you.
By fatman
sorry to hear, Red.

I know folks really hate THE MOVIE, but there's a great line:

"Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true, we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding."

good onya
fatman wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:02 pm sorry to hear, Red.

I know folks really hate THE MOVIE, but there's a great line:

"Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true, we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding."

good onya
Thanks Kevin. That’s perfect.
Sorry for you Ron.

Yes, Kevin, that is perfect. I often think about that line with regards to helping/hurting those close to us.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

I'm still lurking around. And the snow is melting[…]

Hah. You don’t get an answer while we&r[…]

If You’re Planning To Come To Montana

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpete[…]

Things That PISS Me Off!

jeff grosso. poor fucker.

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine