This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Ursus
and should have put some hard-earned cash on it. Here you have the real reason Bush is suddenly concerned about all those illegal immigrants his buddies haven't illegally hired yet: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/washi ... ?th&emc=thWhy the American people have not yet stormed the gates and taken heads is beyond me. Ursus
By creeklover
These people spend our money like it's nothing...That being said, how would you like to solve our immagration woes? Let's hear some ideas.
By fyshnutz
Point 1:Where's the outrage? I won't even elaborate, it just makes my blood pressure go up!n Point 2:I'll never be able to get a decent burrito again.
By Spooled
Simple Creek, start by enforcing the laws that are already on the books and take away the entitlement programs that attract them. Start busting companies that hire illegals and make it hurt from the fines. If a company wants to deduct payrole as an expence, better have pay going to people that you can verify are legal to work in this counrty. If you want a guest worker program, great, but you better damn well limit the numbers and the time span of their work visas. Also make it self funding. Make them pay admin fees and taxes. Give people that apply from out of country a first in line status.
By shutupandfish
The government's track record in the last decade in trying to buy cutting-edge technology to monitor the border — devices like video cameras, sensors and other tools that came at a cost of at least $425 million — is dismal.
This doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence...I am glad they are taking bids (for once).But if high-tech weapons and shock and awe didn't work in Iraq, what makes this admin. think all this widgetry is going to work across a 6,000 mile desert border? Boots on the ground, son, boots on the ground. Pity they are all overseas...
By coolconman
Originally posted by creeklover:n These people spend our money like it's nothing...That being said, how would you like to solve our immagration woes? Let's hear some ideas.
I know some guys that will build the fence for $6/hour and work 12 hr days. As long as you don't tell them what it's for. :p
By WT
Originally posted by creeklover:n These people spend our money like it's nothing...That being said, how would you like to solve our immagration woes? Let's hear some ideas.
That's just it, we don't have an immigration crisis! n WT
By creeklover
ccman,You do realize I was referring to the gubmint when I said "these people". 6/hr....hell I know you could get them cheaper than that.
By creeklover
Originally posted by WT:n
That's just it, we don't have an immigration crisis! n WT
Sorry I mizzspeled immigration. Won't be the first time or the last. Your solution? Waiting....
By FloridaFlyer
"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated, regimented, closed in, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, assessed, evaluated, censored, commanded; all by creatures that have neither the right, nor wisdom, nor virtue... To be governed means that at every move, operation, or transaction one is noted, registered, entered in a census, taxed, stamped, priced, assessed, patented, licensed, authorized, recommended, admonished, prevented, reformed, set right, corrected. Government means to be subjected to tribute, trained, ransomed, exploited, monopolized, extorted, pressured, mystified, robbed; all in the name of public utility & the general good. Then, at the first sign of resistance or word of complaint, one is repressed, fined, despised, vexed, pursued, hustled, beaten up, garroted, imprisoned, shot, machine-gunned, judged, sentenced, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed, & to cap all, ridiculed, mocked, outraged & dishonored. That is government, that is its justice & its morality!" — P-J Proudhon
By Ursus
My solution to the immigration "crisis". Heavy duty enforcement, fines and imprisonment for anyone who hires illegal workers for anything at any time. Now that the government has all our freaking phone numbers and can spy on us anytime, that shouldn't be difficult, or even that costly given the alternative. Guest worker program - I like it conceptually - but it would have to be done well and right now I don't trust my government to find its own ass with both hands, much less run that level of program.Finally, when it comes right down to it, I have not seen one single shred of good evidence that would support we have a real immigration "crisis". I have seen lots of solid evidence though that the American public loves burritos and nice lawns. ... and in terms of keeping our borders safe from terrorists, we need to look north, east and west -not south. I have yet to return from a trip to Canada - and there have been several since 911 -and even been asked for ID - maybe we ought to just start there, eh? And doesn't anyone else get the willy's when you think of the number of [/img]oods" coming into this country via the ports? I am not a paranoid sort, but when I try to wrap my head around that, I get a little freaked.Ursus

<small>[ May 18, 2006, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Ursus ]</small>
Should I fish it?

Nice egg.

Best day of my life TR

had me Bigs dill pickle sunflower seeds Congrats […]

CarpSpace

its a bycatch thing https://hosting.photobucket.c[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

#81 "You shoulda been here yesterday! &qu[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine