This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Redchaser
rampant wrote:I think the answer would depend on what you want to use the knife for? fishing hunting/skinning or general purpose around camping? Most knives/blades will be better suited to a different application.
I reckon Mitch has one suited for circumcision. :coffee
Rampant, I honestly don't have a specific use in mind, more of just and edc. I really don't need a knife, I've just got some gift certificates and like knives.
By rampant
go for a general purpose pocket knife you will get the most out of it. blade length of around 2", any longer and it gets in the way for day to day use smaller is ok. feel the knife handle that it feels comfortable in your hand and easy to keep clean, not too heavy. blade width at least 3/4 ". when you get it sharpen the blade to a relative wide angle 22-30 degrees, this will minimize the chance of the edge chipping when brutalizing the knife.
Post up your choice.
By Redchaser
I went with the Spyderco Delica 4 with the Hitachi ZDP-189 Steel. Me likey fancy metal.
By rampant
Nice steel for neat work, very hard. not so good for brutalizing, it will take a bit of work to keep sharp.
By Ginseng Sullivan
Stonewood Design Custom Knives

A guy i know from high school has been making these unbeknownst to me for years now. Interesting designs.
By Redchaser
[report]After spending a few days debating myself over which knife to get with Amazon Gift cards received for my birthday, I decided to go with the Spyderco Delica 4. I've never had a Spyderco before and a lot of people are rabid fans so that had me interested, then when I saw the Delica available in ZDP-189 steel hardened to hrc 64.

The knife came in today, it's got the Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon handle in "British Racing Green
1-IMG_1565.JPG
1-IMG_1565.JPG (92.73 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
FRN isn't the most elegant handle material in the world, but serviceable for a knife meant to spend more time in your pocket and in use than in a display case. It's comfortable in the hand, and the knife is very light, which I like. I have a bit of a belly and no butt so my pants are generally trying to fall off of me, as such I hate having anything heavy in my pocket. The knife was made in Seki City Japan. The liner is skeletonized for weight reduction and the knife is well made. The blade lines up centered between the liners when folded and there is zero play in the blade when open. The blade lock feels very solid.

I was surprised that out of the box the knife wasn't as sharp as I expected. It was moderately so, but not as sharp as I usually keep my knives.
1-IMG_1568.JPG
1-IMG_1568.JPG (106.35 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
It certainly didn't warrant pulling out my course stones, but a few passes on my 6000 grit water stone followed by stropping and it's now a sharper knife than most people will ever see or handle. This weekend I may spend some time putting a serious mirror finish on it.
1-IMG_1570.JPG
1-IMG_1570.JPG (50.36 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Because it has such a hard steel that can handle it, down the road, when I've used it enough to need to really re-work the edge, I may re do the bevel to a more acute angle.
1-IMG_1573.JPG
1-IMG_1573.JPG (76.64 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
The only thing close to a complaint I have about it is that the edges of thumb hole for flipping the blade open is uncomfortably sharp. I don't think it will cut my thumb, but it doesn't feel good. I'll pick up some emery cloth tomorrow and east that edge a bit. Overall though, to be able to get a well made knife in this steel for $85 is a heck of a deal.[/report]
By flashback
Spyderco has changed the delica for the good, an old one I have has a clip which is part of the handle, same material, it broke. I use a Lansky sharpener with the hard stone for final honing, then a shaving strop. I think you'll be happy with it.
By LA Fly Guy
Redchaser wrote: The blade lines up centered between the liners when folded and there is zero play in the blade when open. The blade lock feels very solid.

To me, Ron, that is one of the marks of a good knife. El-cheapos rarely do that.

Flashback - I use the Lansky as well. I keep my knives sharp enough that I usually only have to hit it a little bit with the fine diamond stone. I finish up with a piece of leather that i keep in my Lansky case. My hunting buddy says that my knives are "too" sharp. I say that his hands shouldn't be in the way of the blade when it finishes cutting through whatever he's cutting through. I hate dull knives. Side rant - I hate going to someone's house when helping chop meat or veggies and they have cheap dull knives. I am not a blade snob, but I can't stand the $5 knives from Wal-mart.
By jerms
I really want to make a few blades... one of these days I'll get around to trying it. I'm sure it will be an abject failure as I've zero experience in that type of thing.

In the meantime, I'm due for a kitchen set. We are still using the el crappo/as seen on TV set that we got as a wedding gift so many years back. Any suggestions on a replacement set? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I am also not looking to buy junk.
By Redchaser
jerms wrote:I really want to make a few blades... one of these days I'll get around to trying it. I'm sure it will be an abject failure as I've zero experience in that type of thing.

In the meantime, I'm due for a kitchen set. We are still using the el crappo/as seen on TV set that we got as a wedding gift so many years back. Any suggestions on a replacement set? I'm not looking to break the bank, but I am also not looking to buy junk.

Jerms, if you really want to have fun with knives in the kitchen, check out some of the Japanese chef knives, and not "Shun" or Global, but the hand done stuff from some of the smaller makers. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ . While the price per knife can be spendy, you really don't need a huge set, a gyuto, a petty and a deba or honesuki would cover about anything you want to do.

I want to try to make a blade too. I was looking at inexpensive belt grinders/sanders just for that purpose.
By Da Ax

By kish
If you guys are really considering making your own knife, I highly recommend watching a bunch of videos from Walter Sorrells. His youtube channel is full of great information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSGWbOHgjc
come hell or high water tr

Good year SFB. FYI, he's FSB over here, the[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Summer was nice. https://i.imgur.com/2xETTzX.jp[…]

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/12/small-firm-lawye[…]

Ah Mark, Dog rest his soul. All he wanted for th[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine