This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
thanks for the spring warm up. 32mf degrees.
fuck
[report]So the spring quest continues. Went out with Spicy on a calm Friday morning a few weeks back. We got a few to come up, including some on the hefty side but couldn’t hook up on all but one:

After the 3-hour session, dropped off Tuna at the dock so he can go to work.
My gear buddy wanted in on the action so he got on the boat after Tuna got off. And off we went for round two. While running to our first spot, I got a whiff of burnt electrical parts but thought nothing of it. Fished the spot for a couple of timid swirls then got ready to move to the next spot. Motor is dead.
Opened it up to see this:

Fuck. So now what do we do? Call vessel assist for a tow back to the dock and call it a day? Screw that.
The tide had bottomed out and we’re now slowly drifting with the incoming. We still got plenty of juice on the troll motor batteries so might as well drift with the tide and fish.

Gear buddy was up front and put on a show teasing up some nice stripes on top:

I did what I could from the back of the boat with no love on top so I poached some of the fish he teased up with the trusty old clouser:

And yeah, the boat got splooged:

As luck would have it, my buddy’s friend passed by on his way back to the launch ramp later that afternoon.
Got a nice relaxing slow ride back to the dock:

Turned out that the damage was isolated to a burnt module on the motor so it was an easy fix. Just take off two bolts and connect 6 wires to the harness to install the new module. Even my dumbass can do that. After a couple of successful test runs, it was time to get back at it.

Fast forward to Easter Sunday morning with the wife. Perfect first light outgoing tide. Hopes were high. She said it will be a good outing but I had my doubts after seeing all the boat traffic. First few spots had boats working the water. Found an open flat that looked juicy. Walked the dog and got a swirl. Wife got all excited and started stomping around the boat trying to get the camera out of the bag so she can get some action shots. I kept teasing the fish and got it to come up again. Wife was still making all kinds of racket on the boat stomping around and dropping the camera bag in the process. Fish is gone.
WTF woman? She gave me a half-assed apology and I sulked and pouted for a few minutes.

“That might have been our only chance of getting a fish today. I’m pretty sure you spooked it with all that noise you made. And it was a nice fish. You saw that swirl, right?”
“Don’t worry, you’ll get another chance. I can feel it” Translation: "Quit acting like a bitch, shut the fuck up and just cast."

So I sucked it up and kept chucking. At the top of the next drift, I teased up a fish all the way to the boat. But no commitment.
A few yards further down the drift, this happened:

Damn, we did get another chance. She was right. Again. A lot of fish pumps and kisses. This was my biggest topwater fish so far and she was there to witness the magic. Ended the trip on that high note. Not a bad 2-hour session and we had the rest of the day to celebrate Easter with the kids.

Like a true junkie, all of the days I take off from work in the spring are solely based on favorable weather and tides. Monday was one of those days.

Started the morning with a nice teener striper on a very shallow flat.

No more love on top after that so motored around looking for some subsurface action. They were stacked at this spot:

Not a bad way to spend a day off from work.

I went fishing, really. Smell my fingers:

Cheers:
Image[/report]
schweet
That does not suck, not even a little bit.
whatcha tying?

Mostly Kori spey fly

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Olive Bunny Cormorant https://live.staticfli[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

moving forward again after catching up with the ba[…]

Rock curry

That could be our final destination on the Tour […]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine