Measured Decline - TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ephemeral

Measured Decline - TR

Post by Ephemeral » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:15 am

[report]Friends,
I’ve gone missing, and I am sorry for that…
I moved to the southwest for two things. Trout and Love. For the past twenty years, I call Durango,CO. home. The Animas River is my muse. Much of what I know about flyfishing I learned here.

Metal broke bread with beauty and the southwest was borne by profiteers. I knew the risk.
In 2003, Sunnyside Gold Corp mine stopped treating water that was pouring into a trib to the Animas. In 2006, Red and Bonita mines began to spill, due to a rise in the water table from other mines being plugged. 300 gallons poured into Cement Creek, just outside of Silverton, CO. Then we had drought.

First the caddis went. We had beautiful hatches beginning in mid June. Three species would carry me through September. Their residence on the flow facing rocks is now replaced with a red hued sludge. The stockers die well before they learn to be trout. A few large browns remain.

DOW completed their shocking this spring finding it no longer deserves gold medal status; the signs remain. Fewer than half the biomass necessary to maintain that moniker exists and the lion’s share of that is of recently stocked fish. I walk the banks without a fly rod now.

In June I had a conversation with a weathered angler on the the Firehole. He was from California. He moved to Bozeman some twenty years ago and said it was between Bozeman and Durango but with the mining up in Silverton, he chose Bozeman. He asked about the Animas. I began to tear.

So it is not without consideration or lament I am absent of this place. Strangely, the Drake still provides solace to me. You guys out; still fishing. Still hitting the water. I find comfort in that. I just can’t attend at the moment. I am more at peace, as my water strangles , knowing yours is well and those casts are still being made. Continue on brothers of the Drake. I’ll return once I’ve reconciled.

But still…

…I’ve gotten out in other ways.

eph

[/report]
"Won't you tell me, brave captain why are the wicked, so strong, how can the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on." Tom Waits

flybug.pa.

Re: Measured Decline - TR

Post by flybug.pa. » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:44 am

That is really sad, sorry Emph.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:36 am

Eph I feel bad knowing what happened to your home water. Take some solace knowing that it WILL return. Maybe not in our lifetimes,but there will be folks that move there again for the fishery. While my home state has no fish you are ALWAYS welcome here to pursue the non existent fish. Nice pics by the way.

James

Post by James » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:37 am

So good.

west_jay

Post by west_jay » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:43 am

So good. So tragic.

Welcome back.
I never met anyone named Joel that wasn't a complete knob. – CharlieJenkem

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:07 am

RZ8SJ8.jpg
RZ8SJ8.jpg (144.06 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
dig this. He is with you.

Looks like the love part of the equation is still strong;
and the scenery doesn't suck.
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:20 am

Ej. Good to see / hear of you
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

SouthFork

Post by SouthFork » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:25 am

Sip poured for the river.

Solid TR.
That was one of the finest examples of spiritual guidance I've ever had the good fortune to witness.

CarelessEthiopian

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 am

jhnnythndr wrote:Ej. Good to see / hear of you

^ Ditto.

Been too long since we shared a campfire.
boy in long pants

Lando

Post by Lando » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 am

CarelessEthiopian wrote:
jhnnythndr wrote:Ej. Good to see / hear of you

^ Ditto.

Been too long since we shared a campfire.

^ditto

(Since I'm lazy and it seems like the thing to do)
Last edited by Lando on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:17 am

Tragic. The most visible representation of karma occurs when a river is polluted.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:24 am

the whole thing is badness. dont want to derail this thread. been there.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa