Bums and beggars - virtual grifters

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ramcatt

Bums and beggars - virtual grifters

Post by Ramcatt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:14 pm

In my snarky distain for everything

What the fuck is up with kickstarter/gofundme/standing on the virtual corner with your hand out?

this week alone i've seen 2

- some hipster chick and dude living in a van who want $20k in handouts to bum around fishing taking pictures
- so dude in a van who wants $30k in handouts to blog/facebook from a van in Oregon

WHAT THE FUCK?
most people coming out with a bachelors wont clear $30k after taxes... and these entitled shithead feel like they are owed it
Get a job... fucking hippies
Get a hustle
Get your hands dirty
EARN IT
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

The Wandering Blues

Re: Bums and beggars - virtual grifters

Post by The Wandering Blues » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:40 pm

I've donated to a few good causes (Jerm's, handicap drift boat, wrestling kids) but yeah, hipsters with their hands out wanting to do shit guys on this board already do way better? www.gofuckme.com...
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm

A gofund for someone with a medical issue I understand. I always wanted to go to Kamchatka and New Zealand perhaps I will go that route since standing on a corner is tough on the feet. And working harder is well.....harder

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 pm

SOBF wrote:A gofund for someone with a medical issue I understand. I always wanted to go to Kamchatka and New Zealand perhaps I will go that route since standing on a corner is tough on the feet. And working harder is well.....harder
With your fantastic photography skills, you can promise to document the trip and send each person who donated a personalized photo book. You can eve grab Joe to be the writer for said piece.

As a thank you I will go with you...thanks
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Oh man I am so with you. And for most things, too, not just fly fishing films. I mean, medical issue or something like Jerms' situation, etc. I can certainly understand. And I can maybe understand if its some product, right, since then as potential backer maybe you could use said product to improve your life (I cant think of any examples, but Im sure there have been an example or two of someone asking for funding for something useful and worthwhile) and giving funding to get it off the ground you are essentially buying the product that you are funding in advance.

But a film? Who in their right mind would give someone money so they could (maybe) eventually watch another person go fishing? Its mind boggling.

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm

From what I gathered on these .... There isn't even a film promised, just loosely suggested
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:42 pm

I think it's a legitimate way to fund things, but I don't know why anyone would fund for anything other than 2 reasons-

a- Good cause, whatever that means to you

2- You're getting something worth the amount your giving. The most effective campaigns I've seen are the those essentially selling you something to fund their idea, which makes sense to me.

If they just want something so they don't have to work, ha.

Rammers- you're getting grumpy way before you're old.

*with all the grammar/punctuation talk lately, I'm very self conscious about the above post. But I've been doing show apps all day so far and just can't muster the concern for an edit.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:45 pm

But I do have to admit the two projects outlined in the original post strike me as lame.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:00 pm

I think a gofund to make a Z Axis cookbook makes more sense than most of that shit.

vaku

Post by vaku » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:51 pm

It's like anything in life, you have to pick thru the shit to find the right ones. And there is a lot of shit out there.

I've helped make a couple of films, one has never been finished or het filmmakers ever heard from, and one, about the photo journalist Chris Hondros, is in the final editing stages.

I've also helped fund a couple of items that i thought were cool. Some sounded better than they turned out and others have been awesome.

The key is, like SLSS said, to get something in return for the money you donate.

I am in the pre pre production stages of a documentary and those things are fucking expensive to produce. I will be looking for corporate sponsorship and I will be turning to kickstarter for some funding. I have a bunch of 'rewards' in mind and some people will love them and some will not think it is worth it. We'll see how it all works out.
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:58 pm

SOBF wrote:I think a gofund to make a Z Axis cookbook makes more sense than most of that shit.
I'm on board for that
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:15 pm

vaku wrote:I will be turning to kickstarter for some funding. I have a bunch of 'rewards' in mind and some people will love them and some will not think it is worth it. We'll see how it all works out.
I have similar plans. I think. Unless a dump truck of money lands on me in the meantime, or my plans change.