And the record goes to....

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
vaku

And the record goes to....

Post by vaku » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:09 am

Like all records, they are meant to be beaten. Sorry Afton Angler!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fie ... SOC&dom=fb
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

Adams

Re: And the record goes to....

Post by Adams » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:22 am

That is a helluva fish Hawkins got. This outa be an exhibition, not a competition - please, no wagering...

But to Brad's credit, Robert's fly sure looks like a double Beauford.
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Broken by a friend of many up here in musky country, including AA

it's in good hands :Roll Eyes
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Adams

Post by Adams » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 pm

fly-chucker wrote:Broken by a friend of many up here in musky country, including AA

it's in good hands :Roll Eyes
Sure, Roberts a good guy, but I wish they hadn't lied and said it was caught on Mille Lacs. Everyone knows there aren't decent muskys on this side of the Cheddar Curtain. That fish was caught on the Flowage. In Wisconson. Not Minnesota. Louis Spray is rolling over on his grave.

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:40 pm

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Adams

Post by Adams » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm

fly-chucker wrote:
Zactly. Everyone knows Milles Lacs is a walleye fishery.

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Damn. Great fish.
Last edited by MTgrayling on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Adams wrote:
fly-chucker wrote:
Zactly. Everyone knows Milles Lacs is was a walleye fishery.
fixed

TX.

Post by TX. » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:50 pm

Adams wrote: Sure, Roberts a good guy, but I wish they hadn't lied and said it was caught on Mille Lacs. Everyone knows there aren't decent muskys on this side of the Cheddar Curtain. That fish was caught on the Flowage. In Wisconson. Not Minnesota. Louis Spray is rolling over on his grave.
The story goes that Louis Spray loaded his fish up w/ lead....and it was just a picture for field and stream anyway. Nothing official about it.
Congrats to the dude.
BTW Vaku, somebody already posted this on the musky thread.
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

AftonAngler

Post by AftonAngler » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:42 am

That was a great catch! BobbyNacho is a straight up good guy and I'm happy he was the one who broke the record. Dang! What a FISH eh? 57" will stand for a long, long time I imagine...

:cool

Records are made to be broken! Other than that...what good are they?

TX - actually Louis Spray was pretty savvy about the record protocol by the time he entered his 3rd and final fish. That 69# 11oz creature in 1949 was the most witnessed and documented catch ever. He loaded it into his car trunk after having it weighed and witnessed and took it on a several day tour/bender around the territory...

Now, he was a rascal! And lots of rumors surround him and his various exploits and the record catches do come under various levels of scrutiny. Around here we give dead guys some space...let those records lay...why mess with a fellow who goes to his grave so serous about his accomplishments that his tombstone reads "Here lies Louis Spray - Three Record Muskies In His Day"

Rumors are always rampant about record catches! There's plenty of jealousy over stuff like that for whatever reasons. That's part of human nature.

I experienced a great ride of course...but I also had a number of false stories and lots of hate over my catch(s)... I've learned about people. That's why I like dogs so much!;). Haha

Honestly, I go with the story that Louis bought that fish off an Indian guide just as I did!

Roberts catch was remarkable! It was a 3 man effort...his boat mates Ben and Gabe deserve as much credit as he does...and true to Bobby's nature he gives them full kudos. They're awesome anglers and guys I consider true Friends! Gabe and I guided together about a month prior for a gig Bob and Lisa White put together up here on the Chippewa...check out the thread Musky Madness;)

Gabe and I burned some firewood and discussed the very possibility of a new record catch - it was erie when the news hit!!

:cool
doubleA

http://www.MuskyCountryOutfitters.com

"Never date the songwriter if you are the lead singer... And a giant whore." blumpkin

Adams

Post by Adams » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:58 am

AftonAngler wrote: Now, he was a rascal! And lots of rumors surround him and his various exploits and the record catches do come under various levels of scrutiny. Around here we give dead guys some space...let those records lay...why mess with a fellow who goes to his grave so serous about his accomplishments that his tombstone reads "Here lies Louis Spray - Three Record Muskies In His Day"
There are lots of stories about Louie. You might find this one interesting AA. My grandfather was a few years younger than Louie, but fished the flowage a lot back then. Gramps was friends with Johnny Bodenschatz, who owned Big Musky back then. Johnny kept a boat down there below the dam, and they loved to float that stretch for fun. Gramps said Louie spent lots of time fishing Thunderdome. Apparently Louie was always parked on the bank down there drowning suckers.

TX.

Post by TX. » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:50 pm

History is so cool...
Do you ever wonder if you could have fished back in "those days" with what you know?
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle