A Flatlander's Journey to 10,000 ft.

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ruddy Duck

Re: A Flatlander's Journey to 10,000 ft.

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:59 pm

I can tell you with remarkable accuracy when I will wake in the morning, leave the house, and take a morning shit. The weather, food supply, and routes are predictable. The roads I take are beaten and paved, so it appears I cannot own the journey. Many struggle in life to achieve symptoms of a “rut”, but living them creates an uneasiness. The cure has always been to pole a skiff or paddle a canoe with a fly rod aboard. But when the cure becomes just another symptom, other experiences call; and other experiences always involve fish.

Programmed for stupidity, the opposite of my symptoms involved wilderness trails, uncertainty, and discarding the majority of the safety nets that guard me on a daily basis. It didn’t take a tremendous amount of convincing for Corey to deal with his own symptoms and join me out West. After a year of planning, filling holes in gear lists, and tying flies; I travelled to a town with equal parts cowboys, hipsters, and hippies. I travelled with excitement and nervousness, unsure if the adventure ahead was an ideal cure or a death wish for inexperienced southerners accustomed to life at sea level.

We stepped out of the rental with cleanish shoes and began walking with the enthusiasm of Lloyd Christmas driving to Aspen. The weight of our packs was irrelevant as we steadily gained altitude and experience. Within a few hours we saw a glimpse of what was ahead and were hooked up with large Brook Trout colored up in beautiful hues of purple. Every fisherman wants to catch but is slightly unfulfilled if the catching is too easy. These fish were almost too easy.

Packs a little heavier, we pressed on to the next lake and campsite. “Walk, fish, camp” became the new cycle. Each day our packs grew heavier and the fishing more difficult. The effects of altitude slowly and steadily manifested in our physical wellbeing. Loss of appetite, flu like symptoms, and insomnia went from an annoyance to things that could not be ignored.

Laying in my tent awake at 3:00 am, I waited for inspiration that the mountains and trout were supposed to deliver. Instead, they highlighted an emptiness inside that I brought with me from sea level. The idea of life without safety nets is far different from actually living without them. When faced with the reality that uncertainty is more prevalent than it was days before, I lay awake thinking only of my loved ones back home and the symptoms of the rut I ran from. However, exhausted and ill, the symptoms now represented a life well lived and full of love.

I am eternally grateful for mountains and trout.

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:25 pm

strong work, boys :smile

no tenkaro?
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

421sd

Post by 421sd » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 pm

421sd wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:38 am
Well executed. :cool Getting high is a bit different out there for sure.
And a repeat for Mr. Ruddy. (quoting oneself is the ghey, but what else could I say?).

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:34 am

"The idea of life without safety nets is far different from actually living without them."

pure awesomeness !!!
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:06 am

This is freaking awesome in the vistas and the candid account of a southeasterner hitting the mountains.

When I hit the beartooth range, I will try to stay alive long enough to repay the report.
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

cornholio

Post by cornholio » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:42 am

The good stuff right there :cool
The goldens are on my bucket list. I'm jealous.

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:37 pm

Beautifully written Ruddy, photos really tied the room together. :cool

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am

Very well done gentlemen. I hate to hear that the physical toll lessened your enjoyment, but that shit really makes you know you're alive. Ruddy, I am tryng to learn from you, I want to rock my mid-life crisis as well as you are.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

IRLy

Post by IRLy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Well done and well told. As good as it gets.

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:47 pm

Looks like time well spent :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa