Any help in NoCal?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Gremlin

Any help in NoCal?

Post by Gremlin » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:44 pm

I've been here (Bay Area) for 4.5 years now. Hardly touched a rod in 4 years, b/c of .... well, that is another topic.

if anyone has any suggestions for wadable waters in about a 2.5 to 4.5 hour drive on North San Jose, please PM me.

I need some sanity. I literally dream of fishing about every night. Dog I miss CO, and Willi.

for your trouble: Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

can't remember how to embed, sorry.
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

yard4sale

Re: Any help in NoCal?

Post by yard4sale » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 pm

3 hours from north San Jose won’t even get you out of the Bay Area. That’s why I moved to Oregon.

Putah
Lower sac
Lower Yuba

Buy a boat and learn to striper fish the forebay

Surf perch on la selva beach
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

mitch aka 2 fish
Location: a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day.

Post by mitch aka 2 fish » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Gremlin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:44 pm
Hardly touched a rod in 4 years, b/c of .... well, that is another more innerestin' topic.

hey! everyone entitled owns a right opinion, buddy.

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 pm

mitch aka 2 fish wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 pm
Gremlin wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:44 pm
Hardly touched a rod in 4 years, b/c of .... well, that is another more innerestin' topic.

Oh, the stories I could tell.....
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 pm

yard4sale wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Surf perch on la selva beach
Have you done well on the perch? That is something that I am looking to already. I know of a good spot in Marin, but that's about it.

Would love to have perch ceviche....

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Putah just below Lake Berryessa. A good tailwater. And 4.5 hours could get you into the Sierra foothills.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

flashback

Post by flashback » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:41 am

Many years since I lived in the Bay Area, but I used to do a lot of surf casting for stripers on some beaches. What I do remember is using very long surf rods since the sand was very high close by, best guess is now using a double handed rod, with full overhead cast. Not sure if this is still a reality, remember this is the Bay Area.

flytrap

Post by flytrap » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:00 pm

I'm a mile from the convergence of the Yuba and Feather in case you need a base camp. Fishing has been a bit meh, but not the worst. At least there's a flow. Just a warning about the current striper and the coming salmon goons.

flytrap

Post by flytrap » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 pm

I'm a mile from the convergence of the Yuba and Feather in case you need a base camp. Fishing has been a bit meh, but not the worst. At least there's a flow. Just a warning about the current striper and the coming salmon goons.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm

I'd head up around Chico but the google says it 5.5 hours away.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:58 pm

flashback wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:41 am
Many years since I lived in the Bay Area, but I used to do a lot of surf casting for stripers on some beaches. What I do remember is using very long surf rods since the sand was very high close by, best guess is now using a double handed rod, with full overhead cast. Not sure if this is still a reality, remember this is the Bay Area.

Pretty much. The most fun way to fish it is with a 12’ 8-10# rod, a 3/4oz egg weight and a little motor oil grub. If the wind and waves are down a switch rod with mono running line, about 20’ of T25 and any olive or rusty fly you want works well. The edges of the rips will put up numbers of nice fish but they will be right at your feet too. This only works at beaches without structure for obvious reasons.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Lando

Post by Lando » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:53 am

I miss Willi, too.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe