This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By woolly bugger

84 and stormy.

The heavy weather was supposed to hit later in the afternoon, but after gearing up, I heard the booming of thunder over the ridge. A quick look at the radar looked ominous, and I decided not to walk across the field with the approaching thunderstorm. I thought it would blow over in a half hour, but every time I checked it was growing in size and intensity and another cell popped up over the Plan B location. I started out three times, only to retreat to the shelter of the car. Finally, I called it a day and headed into town for some lunch and check out the third option for fishing. By the time I finished eating the weather had cleared and I headed back to the starting location.

The air was thick with tension and humidity, the potential for another violent storm was still present. I donned my waders and the effin zipper got stuck and then came apart. Damn it! I guess I won’t be wading into any of the deep spots today!

The fog was incredibly thick reducing visibility to about twenty feet on the surface.

There were only a smattering of bugs coming off and fewer fish rising, combined with the fog, nymphing was the only reasonable choice.

The weather was still unsettled and there was some clear sky above, but it started to rain. Just a light rain, no need to put the rain jacket on yet…

And I fished on, the rain let up a bit and promised to stop. My grandmother would say, “The Devil is beating his wife” when it rained with a sunny sky. Then it started to pour down and I put my jacket on over my soaked shirt and I drank a beer while waiting for it to pass.

A few more fish were caught, before the skies darkened again and thunder approached, prompting me to end the day a bit early, but I got my fix of tugs for the day.

By woolly bugger
another day, another trip to the river.

temps 90+ degrees, with humidity extremely high too.

there were four vehicles parked in the lot, one was doug's, two were TU members, and the fourth had out of state plates. I stickered most of them. As I was gearing up the TU contingency came out across the field, having finished up their day. Three women and a man, and all reported catching fish. They asked if I would take a group photo, which I did for them. Then I marched across the field, working up a good sweat on the way. When I reached the water, I popped a beer open and waded out into a deep run to cool off.

There didn't appear to be any bug activity on the surface, so I went dark. Hooked a nice fish but it tangled in the weeds, and I broke it off as it was a tricky situation.

I worked some marginal water and caught several punes. Dougfish was downlow and had a couple of hookups too.

I saw a fish rise frequently and when Doug came up, I told him to catch it as I watched. (Insert long video of Doug casting and not catching)

We drank a beer.

Doug tried his emergers and I flailed away at an impossible fish.

I moved up and cast to rising fish in another run. A number rose to the fly, and 6 took it, 4 unbuttoned, one came to hand, and the other broke off. After losing a fly to the shrubbery I headed back down and joined Doug as we consumed our last beers before hiking out.

When I got back to the lot, I discovered that two of the BRFFF stickers had been stuck under my windshield!

smoked from the western forest fires is making for some spectacular sunsets

By woolly bugger

With nothing better to do as a thunderstorm approached home, I took off to the river where the skies were clear.

Lately I've been checking the lower lot to gauge the plastic hatch and it appeared to be in full swing.

It was mid-afternoon, a bit too late to make the trek down the tracks, so I headed to the closer water across the field.

Despite a good number of cedar waxwings perching on overhanging branches while waiting for bugs to hatch and swiftly taking off to snatch them with an astonishing swiftness and precision, the surface of the water was unbroken by rising fish. I quickly nymphed up a couple of brown trout with feisty fight and stunning pulchritude.

The susurrus of the river was broking by the shouts of kayakers as they banged their way down through the water. There were at least ten in this first pack to float through. Time to grab a beer.

I was hoping that sulfurs would pop off and the fish would rise as they had done yesterday on the lower reach of the river. I struggled to entice the sporadic risers to take my fly, the one that had worked well last evening. I was met with refusals with every fly I tried, and I exhausted the offerings in my box.

I managed to get this diminutive guy to take a twitched puff daddy.

More kayakers and canoes barreled through, and a Hooligan floated past late in the day.

A scarce few more fish came to hand before the fog rolled in and the sun began to set.

By woolly bugger

80 degrees, partly cloudy

Leaky waders…

With my G3 pants on their way to Simms, I had been using my very old Simms Guide Pants which leak pretty bad and after using them several days in a row they are still very wet on the inside, so I went to the wader bin and pulled out a pair of Dan Bailey chesties because they are light weight, I knew they leaked, but didn’t know how bad. I had forgotten that they don’t have built in gravel guards.
simms.jpeg
simms.jpeg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 420 times
I chose the ground deliver for $24, 3 day would have been $40 something, 2 day was over a hundred, by this point i stopped listening to the choices and said, the cheapest rate would suffice.

When I arrived at the lot Dougfish was yammering with another retired angler from the Roanoke area. I geared up and we headed on down the tracks. At the end of the curve, I realized that I had left a box of flies on the front seat along with the TG camera. I berated myself but didn’t turn back, I would make do with what I had.

It was a cooler day, but still hot enough to cool off in the deep run. I immediately noticed the many leaks in the legs and questioned my choice of waders. I went upstream and while fishing a deep run, a stream of cold water shot a stabbing pain into my left testicle and I had to retreat to shallower water. I fished on for an hour distracted by the chilly water that was now sloshing around my feet, and I was chilled from being wet from my toes up to my waist combined with the discomfort of pebbles in my boot. I went back down to grab a beer while I removed the gravel from my boots and emptied my waders.

There were some risers now and I went after them. I was refused, and suffered long distance releases, but caught a handful of fish before the hatch shut down like clockwork at 7:30. I dumped my waders again before the hike out.

so, I'm going to toss the Dan Bailey's and I've trashed two old pair of boots too...

By woolly bugger

77-84 degrees, cloudy uv 4

Damn Dams…

I retrieved another pair of waders from the bin. Zippered Redington’s, they leak, but not as bad as the now discarded Daan Baileys. I had spent some time trying to repair the Redington’s but never could find the leaks I almost sent them back for repair.

I checked the gauge in the morning, didn’t realize that they cut the flow by 2/3 and the river became a creek at the water dropped almost a foot.

I hiked in about a mile, not knowing what to expect. The low clear water looked barren, few bugs, no risers. I sung soft hackels, got a few grabs. It was slow. A pair of fly fishing kaykers banged and dragged through -- Spied some critters.

Took advantage of the low water to explore downstream a bit. Caught a pune on the soft hackle. Got couple more grabs. Did I say it was slow?

Back up to the pool, oh what’s that? A rise? And another one? Wow! The hatch must be at peak! #16 comparadun. First cast a little short. Second cast in the lane! Bam! I caught a fish on the surface, I’m done!

Three hours behind the wheel, mile hike in and out, two fish to hand… I’ll be back when they open up the spigot again.

By woolly bugger

Hazy and hot.
Gas $2.95

I was gearing up in the empty lot when Dougfish pulled up. We hiked in and it felt like the hottest day so far. When we reached the river, I immediately waded into the deep water to cool off. I wasn’t feeling great as I was having an internal conversation with my stomach. We drank beer and Dougfish headed down and I went up to the top of the run. I wasn’t fishing especially well, unable to focus on the water. Soon I was making a mad dash to the shore and climbing the bank to find a suitable spot to take care of business.

After recovering from that explosive decompression, I headed back up to a deep hole. Kayakers were coming down and I noted that there was a good channel behind me, so I wasn’t too worried about them. They came on down and made no effort to avoid me and passed five feet in front me while asking “how’s the fishing?” “Dude,” I exclaimed as he floated by.

I snagged and broke off, so I sat down in the middle of the river on a rock and retied. These mayflies popped up next to me and I spent some time photographing them before they took off.

Isonychia

After catching a few fish, I went back down to pool and noticed several fish rising to unseen bugs. The only thing I could see were size 22 bwos. I was rigged up with a #14 sulfur and there were a few of them around, so I tried to entice these trout with that fly. The hit it, they looked at it, they bumped it, they turned away but they didn’t take it. I had nine refusals before finally hooking one.

Enough of that! I changed flies a couple of times and found a #20 loopwing bwo emerger that fooled a few fish.

Dough was downstream working the picky punes in the slack water and after catching a half dozen I grabbed a beer and watched as dougfish tried his luck with dries and swinging soft hackles.

By woolly bugger

August 5/7 days so far…

Fishing is all about potential, patterns, and patience. I thought that since the yesterday's BWO hatch was strong I would go pursue the picky punes once again. I was armed with few new emeger patters. I was on the water a little after four and watched for risers as I drank my cool off beverage. Not much was happening on the surface, but a few birds were working, snatching bwos and the occasional sulfur as they became airborne. I was following one sulfur as it floated lazily downstream waiting for a fish to snatch it, there were no takers, but as soon as it lifted off the surface a bird swooped in flared it wings and grabbed the fly. How perfectly adept they are to be able to intercept mayflies. Later I saw a hummingbird feeding on the bwos and perhaps midges as it swooped back and forth across the water. This was the first time I’ve seen one working a trout stream.

I waited and waited for the hatch to gain momentum to entice the fish to rise. I would see a fish rise once and then not again for ten minutes or more. After seeing several different fish take emergers I grabbed the rod and waded up into position. I worked a spot where I had seen a fish earlier. The water was about 3 feet deep dropping off a shelf. The fish was holding at the head, drifting back a foot or two, slowly rising and taking a bug as it emerged. I saw this fish twice in twenty minutes. Cast and mend and watch. Cast and mend and watch over and over. Finally after fifteen or more cast I saw the fish gliding back under the fly and I wondered if it would take it before it would begin to drag.  It rose slowly and took the fly and turned away and I set the hook. It was almost five o’clock, I had been watching and waiting for almost an hour before I caught a fish. The bugs just weren’t coming off as strong as the day before.

I could have nymphed up some more fish, but today I was being a dry fly purist and I waited and waited for a rise to target. I would see one and move into position trying to keep the exact spot in my mind as I waded upstream. It’s peculiar how we remember where we’ve caught fish in the past. I had listened to a story about how birds in the winter remember where they have stashed seeds, and how that is important to their survival on cold mornings. https://kuow.org/stories/chickadees-enl ... staycation

The fog came early and thick today, making it impossible to see my fly on the water more than 25 feet away. I caught a few more fish before quitting at 7. It was just a slow but enjoyable evening on the river.

By woolly bugger

85 and humid... felt like 100, jis sayin.

Gas #2.79

When I got to the lot, one truck was leaving and there were two other vehicles in the lot. I started to rig up the euro, tippet broke, retrieved a spool of 6x and took out my knife to cut it. It was hot and the more I thought about the hike down the rails or across the field I figured I had to come up with a plan B. So, I stashed the euro in the CR-V, all 10.5 feet and drove off.

Anyway, I put in up top and started to euro, but fish started rising in front of me and I switched over to the dry fly rod with a #15 comparadun. A caught a couple, missed a few more and got refused by a few more. Then as quickly as it started it stopped. I could still see bugs on the water, but the fish weren’t looking up. I waited.  Caught a few more but decided to go downstream into a big riffle and see what was up. It was an excellent choice, bugs and fish. A baker’s dozen brown trout came to hand along with a chubby rainbow.

By woolly bugger

86 degrees partly cloudy

What am I going to forget or lose today? That was my thought as I pulled out of the drive today on the way to the river. It was going to be a hot one, so I went up top where the water is deep and cold. I bought my best pair of waders.

I got there a bit earlier than yesterday, and the bug activity appeared to be downstream a way, but after an hour things started popping in the run I was working.

It was a bit of a cat and mouse game for a while, but as more and more bugs came off the fish started feeding with more gusto.

I worked near and far, upstream, and down, left and right. It was pretty solid dry fly action for at least a couple of hours and by that time I was ready to get out of the cold water as my feet began to complain.

Mostly diminutive browns with the occasional beefier bow. Broke off a couple on the 7x and a couple of head shakers unbuttoned themselves. Tug fix satiated for another day.

There was a lot of diddymo suspended in the flow and just about every time I caught a fish it came in with a gob of goo, it required a lot of fly cleaning and drying. This last fish was sipping underneath an overhanging limb about 45 feet across the run.  :Roll Eyes

Finished Countdown 1945 by Chris Wallace on the drive up and started Jim Harrison’s The Ancient Minstrel on the drive home.
By woolly bugger

I was sandwiched between thunderstorm cells when I arrived the river. I was hoping it would pass in about 20 minutes. I donned my waders and walked to the river. Thunder boomed all around and the sky was darkening, I retreated and waited another 30 minutes and then I made my way downstream to the riffle. The fog was thick, and I could hear the fish rising but couldn’t quite see them. A fairly decent hatch was underway, and I worked the rising fish for the next hour. It was epic for that brief time. Caught a bunch, broke off two on the 7x with peppery hooksets. Didymo was terrible, and it took a long time to clean a fly when they became covered with the crud.

By woolly bugger

As soon as I cast the fly I knew I should have retied after pulling it out of the rhodo.. I was stunned that I snagged the fly in the bush on 7x and with a tight line and a tug managed to retrieve the fly and perhaps that led me to think that that knot was strong. But I should have retied, I would have, but the tippet was getting short, so short that I would have to change it out with a longer section, and I’ve been having a bit of trouble tying the 5 to 7x blood know, so I skipped it and cast. The cast was a bit short but just inside the fastest water, it had potential. I saw the fish rise and take the fly, it looked like a good fish, I set the hook and the tipped gave and I lost the fish and fly.

I had driven up to my usual spot, there was a car parked, but it didn’t necessarily look like a fisherman’s car, if you know what I mean. I could have walked down to the river to look downstream before I put on my waders, but I geared up and went down to the river and there I saw not one but two anglers standing in my run. I explored up stream and made some exploratory cast, but nothing was happening on the surface. So, I got back in the car and drove down to a spot that I wanted to check out.

There was a pool with a nice set of rapids and riffles above it. The water pushed to the steep bank on the far side, and I saw a couple of fish rise right next to a half-submerged tree and a couple more under overhanging rhodo. Tough cast for sure. I went for it but after a dozen cast, one or two that were on the money, I decided to check up the top of the riffles where all the bird activity appeared to be concentrated. There were some thunder cells over the ridge, but I didn’t think they were headed my way. The riffle was shallow and fast, and I didn’t see any fish rise.  It started to rain but the storm passed after twenty minutes and after a while I moved back down to the rising fish and picked off a few that were hugging the bank and structure.

After breaking off, I was getting ready to tie on new tippet when Boom, Boom, Boom. The sound of the approaching storms from multiple directions had me headed back up the trail and I called it a day.

By woolly bugger

93 degrees - gas $2.74

The unsettled weather kept me off the water yesterday, I knew there would be more storms today but I went anyway. Listening to Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates on the drive. Rigged the rods in the parking lot and wadered up before driving down to location x since no one else was there on a Saturday afternoon.

Cloudy and foggy and threatening rain it was still early and there weren’t any bugs on the water. I nymphed up a rainbow and then was startled when another angler shouted greetings. Awe fuk, it was a bait fisherman who waded into the bottom of the run where the fish would rise. Scratch that idea.

He added rainbows to his stringer as I caught and released brown trout from the undulating water at the head of the run. When I went to retrieve my other rod, I noticed a dead fish floating away just below the salmon egg tosser. Not sure if he was releasing the deep hooked browns that are in the protected slot or what.

I moved up and caught a handful of punes from the next riffle and then since mr. salmon egg tosser was hogging the dry fly water. I hiked out and drove up to the top and fished the upper riffle. There were only  few bug and even fewer risers, but a caught a couple on the surface before things shut down completely at 5.

More stormy weather forecast for the upcoming week as Fred moves through the state.

Friday Cheer Through Pics

https://i.imgur.com/TOk1F3s.jpg https://i.im[…]

whatcha tying?

Hmmm, maybe a shrimp swap?

The return of Stolen Hours

#97 Filled up on the way to PFF @$3.03, 75 degree[…]

things I a-heared at drake camp

hee hee... imagine excitingly pointing at airplane[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine