This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By woolly bugger
#19 Friday, doesn’t anybody work anymore?
Warmest February day yet, 67, gas $3.29
Pulled into the lot, Bobby, Doug and two other vehicles in the lot, crap, who goes fishing in February? I almost turned around but was afraid that other spots would be crowded too. I decided this would be a beer and photo day, with a little fishing thrown in for good measure.

Looks like something was chowing down on the raccoon.
I tossed streamers in the left hand pool and caught nothing. Then walked down to where dougfish was and ate lunch while watching him flail away.
I euroed the run and caught nothing.
Then it was time for a beer break.
The ospreys were out again.

I fished until o’dark thirty and still caught nothing.
No bugs to speak of, only the occasional winter stone..
By woolly bugger

Gas $3.29 maybe 40 degrees, well below freezing after sunset, partly cloudy and windy.
I knew it was going to be a windy day, but when I arrived it was calm, so I rigged up the spey pole. I had tied up some new intruders but left them on the bench.
Rocky has moved back to the right again, not too much left now.
I swung my way down Sally’s pool and then worked the left-hand run. All I got was a couple of grabs.
I recently listened to Tom Rosenbauer’s podcast with Kirk Deter, when they were talking about catching less fish, instead of playing  numbers game, and that is what I was doing today. That’s my story….
By the time I got down further the wind had really picked up and I felt like I needed an extra layer or two. More grabs and a beer break.
I stuck with my fish taco intruder all day, might be too big, or just not getting in the zone, but, I think, my snap T is improving. The only thing missing was a couple of fish to hand. Will I go tomorrow?
By woolly bugger

mid 50s, partly sunny to mostly cloudy... Gas is going up, didn't need to get any but it was $3.49

got up to the river in the afternoon, Dougfish was already down at the usual spot. I looked at my quiver of rods and thought about the spey pole but went with the 5 wt which was rigged with soft hackles.

Rocky is picked clean.

I started up at Sally's run and didn't even get a bump. Then I worked my way down stopping along the way to swing the flies.'
The snow is mostly gone but some is holding tight on the shaded slopes of the ridge.

Looks like Doug's stash.

I studied the water and popped the top of Dunkel as Doug came up the bank.

He had taken a spill and had soaked his arms as he broke his fall.

He drank a beer with me and then split as he was getting chilled.

I fished on till dusk.

Not many bugs at all and only saw a handful of fish rise. I told Doug that I was going to title this TR "The River was as dead as the raccoon."
By woolly bugger
#22 Gas $3.39

I started to step out of the car and the wind tried to rip the door out of my hand. I shut it quickly. Damn. Oh, what the hell. I regrouped, donned a wind block hat and began gearing up. A car pulled up and an angler jumped out all geared up and stated that he had just come from upriver, and the wind was too much, he hoped to find some relief down here.

I packed the cooler and grabbed the 5 wt.  In the bog along the field the spring peepers were out and chirping I hiked in a mile hoping to get some shelter around the bend in the river. No dice, the wind was just whipping straight downstream.

I nymphed a couple of runs and was discouraged by the wind picking up the line and making things difficult if not impossible. After an hour or so I was about to give it a break and go grab a beer when a shout out from behind me made me jump. One of those damn flycraft rafts had snuck up on me.

I waded ashore and drank my beer. The wind increased and I heard the crack of a large tree snapping and falling to the forest floor. Clearly this was a sign to get out of the woods. I witnessed another tree top snap and crash down. No need to stick around.

:cool

#23 Back for more punishment. Well, it was windy again but not quite as bad and from the south so there I would be in the lee of the ridge. I decided to work on my cack-handed spey cast. I had tied up some intruders in purple and black. I worked from sally's pool on down to the Hodgeman hole. Then the left hand run and the trestle pool. I caught nothing. So, I drank a beer.

I thought about going down to the low hole. tI was past 4:30, I envisioned the fly swinging over the shelf and down into the run where I've caught many trout before, and this would be the only river right casting on the day. I worked the water on the way down and caught nothing. When I got down to the low hole, I thought this would be the last chance to catch a fish. It did not happen.

I hiked out at dusk and hit some of the runs again on the way out with hopes of avoiding a skunk.

Back at the car I had a snad and then drove home.

By woolly bugger

Gas $3.39 Temp 55 Skies clear

Squeezing in more trip in February.

With the local running too much water, I had to look elsewhere. Back to the small stuff for the day.

Dry dropper/

Caught a few pune brookies and rainbows.

I was hoping the last fish was a brookie so I would have a photo of a nice sized speck but it turned out to be a rainbow.

The water was damn cold and the fishing was pretty slow.

photo dump

By woolly bugger

sunny 70s

Water was clear and a little higher than the new normal low.

It was just a feckless day on the water, the fish only added to the delightful outing. I caught enough to keep it interesting but I had to work for them. Not many bugs other than miniscule midges. I saw a total of 2 trout rise during the afternoon.

Pretty clean looking holdover stockbow
Delightful weizen-doupelbock
Typical trout
Trout lily
Hepatica nobilis aka liver leaf

Found some floatant
Delicious chocolate stout
Shadow casting
By woolly bugger
#26 sunny and warm but windy..

Spey Day, I studied some videos and identified some faults with my cast, so I swung flies for most of the day and I felt a significant improvement. Had a fish on and one other grab. Later I switched rods and caught some fish at the end of the day.

By woolly bugger
gas $3.79

a bit cooler but still sunny and just breezy...

Back to basics with only one rod, thinking about regular nymphing today after an initial streamer assault. On the hike in I talked to Chuck who was fishing the left-hand run. He reported catching a handful. I moved on down and took up position on the far side of the river and threw a zoo cougar and didn't move a fish, so I went on down to where Doug was, and we talked for a while before I went up to the head of that run and fished the streamer. I moved a good fish, but it was a short strike.

About this time, we started seeing caddis coming off and a few fish were rising. I rigged up with a dry and proceeded to miss fish after fish as I called out, "missed 1", "2", "3", "4", then I finally connected and landed a fish, but then continued "5", "6,"..."9", "10" I couldn't take any more, so I quit, besides, I had to get home early anyway.

By woolly bugger

70s and sunny

I had hoped to see more caddis and rising fish and I did get one on the surface but quickly went down under with a girdle bug, dropper, and a couple of BBs on an indicator rig as there weren't enough bugs to get the fish to rise.

Later a SmithFly raft floated on down behind me, they were polite and kept their distance.

It was a double digit day, here's the photo dump;

By woolly bugger

69 and partly sunny Gas $3.79 where you can find it. Mostly $3.99 but I saw one station @ $4.19

Having seen the caddis the other day I tied up some LaFontaine's to see if they would work some magic.

One truck in the lot, he must have been fishing up high as I never saw him.

Trout lilies are blooming. I recently read that they are edible although emetic in quantity. The young leaves are supposed to be tender and tasty. 

I studied the water while enjoying my lunch, mussels, Rauchbier, and salmon.

Then I spent an hour and a half working the water with the caddis pupa -- I caught nothing.
There were no caddis and I saw only midges and a few wayward stoneflies.

I switched gears and caught a few before a floaty bote high and low holed me.

Moving on down the river, I changed gears again and caught nothing -- blaming the intrusion of the raft.

Back on up more fish were caught as the day wore on.

and then you look up and the sky starts to turn red and you find yourself enjoying a sunset while the cold dark waters swirl around you.

You could stop fishing, but you want to catch one more and a quote from a book you read a long time ago runs though you mind, "Big browns dine at dusk".

Walked out at 6:30 and was crossing the field listening to the spring peepers' cacophony when heard the voices of children which seemed out of place but when I turned in their direction, I saw the silhouettes of eight or nine people crossing over from Sally's pool.

Back at the lot we talked for a bit, they all had been spin fishing and one adult had caught two, but the kids hadn't caught any.

By woolly bugger
Monday was a blow day, or so I thought, others went, I stayed in.

59 degrees, the gas station where I filled up the other day was up twenty cents.

geared up in an empty lot and hiked in and it felt warm in the sunshine.

Checked all the likely spots on the way to look for risers, there were none.

Bloodroot in bloom

Trout lilies too.

Tried a leaf..
not to bad, maybe a little sour at the end of the stem

When I got to my destination I sat down and ate lunch while looking for bugs and rising fish. There were a sparce number of caddis and a few small fish rose in the nearby channel.

I was still rigged for nymphing so I stayed with that untill I saw a few more fish rise in the main run.

There were still a number of winter stones about too.

I finally switched over to dries and played that game for the rest of the day.

Things slowed down in the evening and there was a chill in the air, I should have put on another layer.

By woolly bugger

Gas $4.19 -- 60s sunny

After getting the CR-V (212K miles) serviced for belts and fluids, I headed off to the river a little later than usual. dougfish was already there as was another fishermen, Dean, who turned out to be a friend of Mudwall Gatewood 3.0. It was crowded for a Friday.

I hiked in and heckled doug while I downed an ale. I saw a fish rise and went in after it. It didn't rise again. I moved on down and found the Dean at the head of the pool I wanted to fish.

After he left I tried to convince some trout to rise but failed, so I switched to nymphing as doug informed me of a raft headed our way. I blocked the top of the run to protect my water from the amphibious assault of yet another one of those smithfly, flycraft, riverrat, that are becoming a nuisance.

I caught a fish, doug caught a few more, I drank a beer or two.

The bugs never really got going but it was an enjoyable afternoon none the less.
The return of Stolen Hours

#73 84 sunny and very windy ]Dougfish sent a te[…]

Mad Max -Redfish Road

Damn it Kevin. hehehe. Strong work, gents. […]

Ladder Lake

People watching at its finest. Good shit Joe. La[…]

:cool :cool :cool

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine