Where is my magazine?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
T.J. Brayshaw

Re: Where is my magazine?

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Da Ax wrote:I've actually thought about submitting something...but I figured I'd have to submit three copies:

One for nemo to crap on
One to wipe his butt with
The last one to cover it all up with.
I bet he has a copy machine.

(Anyway, what's the worst that can happen? Send something in!)

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:34 pm

T.J. Brayshaw wrote:
Da Ax wrote:I've actually thought about submitting something...but I figured I'd have to submit three copies:

One for nemo to crap on
One to wipe his butt with
The last one to cover it all up with.
I bet he has a copy machine.

(Anyway, what's the worst that can happen? Send something in!)
Biggest problem is time. I'd rather fish than do any sort of writing and I don't even have time to fish.
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

burgerthumb

Post by burgerthumb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:41 pm

The Volfish wrote:What does that mean for Tom and his print enterprise? It could and should be a source for content.
The conundrum for Tom is, I think, basically the same as for every other print publisher. Why should I read the magazine when this free forum is continuously updated with content of nearly the same or sometimes better quality? Honestly, many of the photos in the Friday thread are equal to anything in the print mag.

The prose here is unedited and there is plenty of bullshit, but the essence is there. Every once in a while you read some dynamite on here.

I like the magazine. I buy a copy of about half the issues. It is the best one out there. Many of the new magazines, online or in print, are just trying way too hard. There is a huge difference between telling an honest story and pushing a "lifestyle" or a new "culture." When I see those words in a magazine I read: "marketing demographic."

I read (but don't post very often) the forum nearly everyday because there is always something new, and it's usually pretty good. Aside from the trolls, all of it is genuine, which matters to me. Plus I am still trying to figure out what the fuck Mitch is saying, so until that happens....
"...when it's your favorite stream, at some point...ya just gotta stand in front of the bulldozers." -Deerhawk

Bear River Boomer

Post by Bear River Boomer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 pm

burgerthumb wrote:
The conundrum for Tom is, I think, basically the same as for every other print publisher. Why should I read the magazine when this free forum is continuously updated with content of nearly the same or sometimes better quality? Honestly, many of the photos in the Friday thread are equal to anything in the print mag.

The prose here is unedited and there is plenty of bullshit, but the essence is there. Every once in a while you read some dynamite on here.

Bingo! The Suk has now become the magazine. There are trip reports that equal the print, the Friday thread has pics, the intros for some have page 6, and the traveling fiberglass rod is better quality than clyde. Nemo, the challenge for you is to publish the next edition based solely on The Suk. I can find anything you want in print, right here. How cool is that?

Btw, I buy every issue now that my one year subscription finally ended after 3 years. Funny though, I don't read each issue like in the past.

RFA

Post by RFA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:36 pm

I disagree with all of you assholes, especially CE.

The forum produces some good material for the magazine, there is no doubt about that. The reality is:

1. Tom, or any editor, can't wade through the enormous amount of bullshit to find the proverbial "diamonds".
2. Everyone thinks their story is the funniest/craziest/most "soulful". It's Tom's prerogative to be in charge of what is put in his magazine. He's done a good job of deciding that thus far, thus the following on his board. He's not telling individual members how to do their trades, and to think you could revamp a (successful) magazine with 0 knowledge of the industry must make him shake his head every time he logs in.
3. Every one of us has thought we could do a better job than our boss.....that's why bosses get paid more, because every single employee working for them doubts the boss' abilities. When the rubber meets the road, most don't have the balls to step into that position. This is mainly because the glamour is stripped out, and what is beneath is not anything most people want to take home every night.
4. Decisions come easy to those who aren't responsible for profit/loss, let alone organic growth....not to mention water/electric/mortgage for a person's home. Take that shit into account the next time you point towards a losing venture like a messageboard magazine

Edit - bunch of armchair quarterbacks, the lot of you.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

burgerthumb

Post by burgerthumb » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm

RFA wrote:Edit - bunch of armchair quarterbacks, the lot of you
Dude. He asked.
"...when it's your favorite stream, at some point...ya just gotta stand in front of the bulldozers." -Deerhawk

peetso

Post by peetso » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:58 pm

burgerthumb wrote:
RFA wrote:Edit - bunch of armchair quarterbacks, the lot of you
Dude. He asked.
Here comes Raffa. v

"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

RFA

Post by RFA » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:50 pm

thus far, thus the
terrible.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 pm

RFA wrote:
thus far, thus the
terrible.
you think anyone actually read that diotribe of brown-nosing horse-shite? get outta da way! There's armchair quarterbacking to be done here!
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

root wad

Post by root wad » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:27 pm

There is little question that "The Drake" is the overwhelming companion of choice in the sani-can at steelhead camp in Skeena Country. While its presence, at times, decidedly decelerates the comfortable pace of play for those waiting to tee off, its absence would be sorely felt. Were I to presume to make a suggestion, if I may, given that we are a fair drive from daily reprovisioning, is there any way you can arrange making the page stock significantly softer and way more absorbent? Or should this heartfelt request be presented in a letter to the editor?
Life is a whole lot more simple when you plow around the stump.
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

RFA

Post by RFA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Looks like Austrotard's on the new cover.

jdub

Post by jdub » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Mad_Mike wrote:I don't particularly care about the bio peices either... not being a dick, but I really don't give a fuck who else fly-fishes... unless they wanna tell me a story... or take me fishing.. or come along, as long as they bring beer... And really I don't care about "upcoming talent"... we all know that as soon as they smell their first pussy their gonna put the fly-rod down for at least 5-10 years before they pick it back up and resume.... anyway... just my thoughts.
I just read a piece in the NY Time mag on two twin brothers, one in Europe and one in NYC, who are phantom brewers for kick ass suds. I guess they hate each other so much they needed an ocean between them. That was a straight bio piece about something I do on occasion (brew) and drink, and it was a great read. While I didn't give a rats ass about the snowboarder who also likes to fly fish (that was a memory jog from somebody) I can get into reading interesting stories about interesting people who also fly fish...kinda like http://gardenandgun.com/article/texas-creek-boat (only in tejas do you have a mag called Garden and Gun). Person first, and the fact they fish, second.
"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home." Roderick Haig-Brown

http://utahstreamaccess.org/