Sage Z-Axis for sale

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
Hogleg

Re: Sage Z-Axis for sale

Post by Hogleg » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Outstanding.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:33 am

I always enjoy a good g-smolt recipe, and as always, this one did not disappoint.
jhnnythndr wrote:I eat these fairly regular. All kinds of ways. Not a quiche. Not an omelette. And thank god not that disasterous "skillet breakfast" bullshit they try to pass off on the peckish in the morning so often in the USA.
I vaguely recall this as being yet another topic that resulted in a mildly heated discussion one evening between you and I and Avalanche, with the two of us pointing out the fine distinctions that make this dish what it is, and him coming back with the provincial "It's a fucking Denver omelet." To the best of my recollection, the debate ended with him yelling "You know what? Fuck you guys! Fuck you guys!"

Good times.

jhnnythndr

Post by jhnnythndr » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Holy shit. That's right! Oh my god. Alright- so when some half pickled old coot tells you over a campfire and whiskey that a
Frittata is "a fucking Denver omelette" there's really nothin to say.

I will point out that my first trip Out with avalanche (in an ACTUAL suburban) I watched in fascinated horror as he consumed coffee steak blue cheese and booze exclusively for 72 hours. In that light it becomes apparent that the man has some relatively idiosyncratic ideas regarding menu. Have you ever met someone more resistant to the idea of
Cooking a legit meal 1 or 2 evening over the course of a week? Cup a noodles. And grand marinier. Whoa.
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:36 pm

Hahaha. I know, right?

When I first saw all of that shit in the back of his truck, I thought "This man has definitely come prepared," only to discover that there wasn't a single pot or pan or cooking utensil in any of that mess. No grill. No camp stove (other than his pocket rocket). Not even any foil.

You cooked the two finest meals I ate on that trip, but he would have been just as happy with some Nutter Butters and a Winston.

Odd duck that Avalanche. Cast iron bowels and taste buds of stone.

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 pm

I'd like a Reuben sandwich; only, hold the sauerkraut and thousand island, and put a fried egg on it....

And that, my friends, is how you order breakfast at lunch time. :smile

Avalanche has been known to survive a two week trip on nothing but peanut butter & Frito sandwiches
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

CarpeTructa

Post by CarpeTructa » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:55 am

fatman wrote:Avalanche has been known to survive a two week trip on nothing but peanut butter & Frito sandwiches
Recipe?
Somebody else is going to have to watch the door for me now. Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. Outcast (RIP)

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:13 pm

I did GSmolts Frittata today-didn't suck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RonRatliff

Post by RonRatliff » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:17 am

you ever wondered what potted meat was made from? I mean think about it, they fucking pickle every part of a pig....besides its asshole.........
my dry rub for pork and yard bird

2 part roasted paprika
1.5 part Tony Chacheres original
pinch of garlic
Black pepper ..... unless you have a sensitive asshole

Redchaser

72 HOUR SHORT RIBS

Post by Redchaser » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:27 pm

[report]72 HOUR SHORT RIBS

Short ribs are one of those cuts that has a lot of rich beefy flavor, but has a tendency to tough, much like brisket or chuck. All of these cuts are generally cooked low and slow until they are tender, leaving you with a flavorful but well done piece of meat that is tender if you cut across the grain. This recipe takes low and slow to the extreme, cooking the short ribs for 72 hours, that's right, 3 days, but leaving them medium rare and meltingly tender.

The reason this recipe works is because Medium Rare, just like all levels of doneness is a temperature. Med-rare to my liking is around 130 to 135 F. If the meat never exceeds this temperature, it never cooks beyond Med-Rare, no matter how long you cook it.

Preperation - season the shit out of the short ribs with coarse salt and pepper
1-photo 11.JPG
1-photo 11.JPG (102.59 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Once the ribs are seasoned, I vacuum bag them with my Foodsaver. Because these will be cooking for so long, I double bag them as insurance against leaks.
1-photo 7.JPG
1-photo 7.JPG (110.9 KiB) Viewed 790 times
The bagged meat is then placed in my Sous Vide cooker. A water bath heated and kept at temperature by a thermostatically controlled immersion circulator. This one is made by Anova.
1-photo 10.JPG
1-photo 10.JPG (82.72 KiB) Viewed 790 times
1-photo9.JPG
1-photo9.JPG (65.65 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Then I close it up and leave it the fuck alone for 3 days (except a once a day check to make sure the water level hasn't dropped from evaporation
1-photo 6.JPG
1-photo 6.JPG (79.62 KiB) Viewed 790 times
After 3 days I remove the bags and cut them open
1-photo 4.JPG
1-photo 4.JPG (141.12 KiB) Viewed 790 times
At this point the meat lacks the appetizing caramel color of a seared piece of meat, so I give it a quick sear in a hot skillet for about a minute a side
1-photo 3.JPG
1-photo 3.JPG (120.02 KiB) Viewed 790 times
The result is beautiful Med-Rare short ribs that are incredibly tender and have as much hearty beefy taste as anything you'll ever put in your mouth
1-photo 2.JPG
1-photo 2.JPG (120.28 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Served with Puree'd parsnips and steamed fresh green beans and topped with a red wine/demi glace reduction. It was fantastic
1-photo 1.JPG
1-photo 1.JPG (109.67 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Any other attempt to cook short ribs Med Rare would leave you with an terribly tough piece of meat, but even at low temp, cooking for this length of time breaks down the collagen in the meat leaving it tender, but because the temp is kept low, the meat fibers don't contract expelling juices which would leave you with a dry stringy piece of meat. You can do other interesting stuff cooking Sous Vide. I will cook steaks this way, cooking for about 40 minutes at 130 F then searing in browned butter. The result is a steak that is wonderfully browned and seared, but Med Rare from edge to edge without the "bullseye" effect of having it well done by the edges and gradually more rare as you move toward center. I'll get massively thick double cut pork chops and treat them the same way to get perfectly medium, never dried out pork, it does a great job on root veggies, makes awesome butter poached shrimp or seafood and you can even cook a nicely poached egg in the shell[/report]
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Fishwater

Post by Fishwater » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Damn Red, just damn...
The famous are rarely relevant, the relevant rarely famous.

fatman

Post by fatman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:43 pm

if we ever do a Gulf Bake, you're doin' those shortribs....along with about 50 other dishes

that would be great for Tri-tip.
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Damn Red, we gonna have to start calling you Chef!