BIG FATTY STREAMER SWAP

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Woolybug25

Re: BIG FATTY STREAMER SWAP

Post by Woolybug25 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:24 am

Articulated Trico wrote:
First of all some of the flies in fact almost all of them have a perfumed odor! No shit! Smell your flies! I had to take a few pulls off a buterol puffer to get my lungs back to full capacity and I don't have asthama.
haha, thats because I rubbed them all on my testicles....

On the serious note, do they all smell the same, or have different scents? If they all smell the same, then they might smell like the room they have been sitting in for a week. My house smells like lavender and salami... Is that it?
Last edited by Woolybug25 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:26 am

southernstrain wrote: thanks for the lady bug!
:cool
If I am anything, its a man of my word. I will try to stick the woolybug into a whitey for you. :cool
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

West Chester

Post by West Chester » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:34 pm

Woolybug25 wrote:
Articulated Trico wrote:
First of all some of the flies in fact almost all of them have a perfumed odor! No shit! Smell your flies! I had to take a few pulls off a buterol puffer to get my lungs back to full capacity and I don't have asthama.
haha, thats because I rubbed them all on my testicles....

Watch out for those double hooked ones... really tough to ask a buddy to do the mono hook removal trick on your taint
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Wooly, I need to say "real nice job on the swap." That was one of the best that I've been involved in. Some of you guys even labeled flies for specific people. I feel like a bit of a slacker. Mine took a little longer for me to tie than usual, since they were a bit out of my area of expertise.

You "non-labelers" need to be smacked. What am I ever going to do if any of you guys get famous?! :bow
Articulated Trico wrote:I was going to do brief personal assessment of each fly but declined for being perceived as a real "bottom rung a-hole"!
You could always start a "Bottom Rung A-hole Assessmnent Thread" :smile
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

Articulated Trico

Post by Articulated Trico » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Grades are in! The view expressed do not represent those of someone being all that serious or possessing an educated perception of what a quality fish catching fly looks like! These view represent most of my years on lost time pursuing fish that eat flies!

CCB-very stoked to see the innovation with the up turned hook eyelet. This fly would be great in some deep pocket water fished on a floating line with a lot of stack mends. Heavier eyes would work better in getting it down quicker!

SoutherStrain- Basic well tied kiwi muddler! Personally would have prefered a it on a saltwater hook because this would fly would be good thrown to some mangrove roots. What is it with the micro orange rubber legs?

BearsFan- Great fly! This fly will fish anywhere for anything! Your style of lead eyes are soft and will break over heavy clanging! Good work!

Thalweg- Cool color combo and catches my eye. But not sure how the fly will swim and strip? With the eyes on top and bottom? The tandem hooks don't really line up but I like the hooks very sticky!

Nich- Coolest color combo and would fish great on a floating or full sink line! Not sure I like the trailer hook being so long and in the way back? False cast's will find the trailer tangled in a cluster fuck on the tippet or in the actual fly. Still nice innovation with size shape, color combo and use of eyes!

NeedsMoreDEET- I can tell you are great tyer and assume you could crank this fly out in your sleep! Again this fly will catch fish anywhere!The only thing that concerns me is the wear and tear of the ostrich after getting sucked into crushers or rakers of a red or snook!

Mark- I assume you tied this yellow chartreuse with the ostrich deal! Similar popular toad color scheme but proven tarpon deal closer on the ocean side or in the back! The eyes could foul on leader or break with closed loop! Remember a tight loop can travel ninety to one hundred and twenty five mph!

Rhyacophila-real basic well tied fly with proven color combo! Again this fly will catch anything that eats baitfish! I am going to glue some eyes on this and catch a snook in the surf! The size is small forthis swap but perfect fingerling for spring!

Woolbug- I like black especially at night! You need to look at how a clouser is tied. The lead eyes need to be flipped because your fly will ride opposite of how your intended with the mallard flanks on top, not bottom! Personally think the mallard flanks on the Zoo Cougar is not needed and does not add to the action! It only adds to fouling issues! The deerhair head is what gives it the action. Also, the wool needs to be trimmed tighter and will afro out with use. I really like the intent and with a few refinements you have a winner!

Ricky Bobby?

Non tagged flies? Whoever tied the kiwi muddler style streamer with tan bunny and mallard wrapped prior to the deer hair I am totally diggin this fly! Cannot wait to fish this well tied fly! I would have preferred a larger hook but beggers cannot be choosey!

Two untagged orange crystal chenille head articulated white back end fly? Overall I like the design. It should feed fish and still live to fish another day. What lost me on this fly is the color scheme? It starts out very cool and loses me with the whit backend? For me white is a a belly color or just all white! If you continued with the craw color or sunburst all the way to the back you would have a great pattern! Oh yea nice touch with mashing down the barbs!

SLSS- Great color combo and proven steelhead pattern! Not sure about the length of the rubber tubing? This pattern usually has a small quarter inch cut tubing attached near the end of the bunny strip. Or a quarter inch or less off the copper tubing and rigged with a large loop knot putting the knot in the way back. Overall very well competently tied fly!

Articulated Trico-first of all you use entirely way to many explanation points on this webstie!!!!! Who the fuck do you think you are? Your approach is way to convoluted which brings me to your fly! Plenty of room for error with your wrapping attempt at palmering bunny strip! What happens if the glue lets go? I already notice the second hook has a tendency to slightly spin? Putting it out of line with the anchor lead eye hook! Personally think this fly need more time spent in the water and not in a fly box!
"them books is wrong"

"The universe shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you will end up where you were"

"Opinions were like kittens always giving them away"

CharlieJenkem

Post by CharlieJenkem » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:04 pm

:needs_pics

Let's see what I missed, boys!
Master of karate and friendship for everyone.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Articulated Trico wrote: Two untagged orange crystal chenille head articulated white back end fly? Overall I like the design. It should feed fish and still live to fish another day. What lost me on this fly is the color scheme? It starts out very cool and loses me with the whit backend? For me white is a a belly color or just all white! If you continued with the craw color or sunburst all the way to the back you would have a great pattern! Oh yea nice touch with mashing down the barbs!
3 reasons for the color combo, none very valid.

1)Ran out of materials (and time)

2)Bourbon

3)Ran out of materials, fukkin shop is 25 miles away.

I think it'll catch fish and was an experimental pattern. Hopefully it works for someone. :cool
"Get back home where you belong, and dont ya run off no more"

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Articulated Trico wrote: Woolbug- I like black especially at night! You need to look at how a clouser is tied. The lead eyes need to be flipped because your fly will ride opposite of how your intended with the mallard flanks on top, not bottom! Personally think the mallard flanks on the Zoo Cougar is not needed and does not add to the action! It only adds to fouling issues! The deerhair head is what gives it the action. Also, the wool needs to be trimmed tighter and will afro out with use. I really like the intent and with a few refinements you have a winner!
haha, I have tied plenty of clousers! The fly I tied is a variation off of the popular Galloup pattern, Boogey Man (thalweg's Swimmin' Jimmy is also one of his patterns). The fly calls for the eyes to be tied below the hook, not above. It also calls for the double flank as well. I made some small adjustments to put my own flare on it, but the fundamentals of the fly are the same. Galloup has forgotten more about streamer design than any of us will ever know, so I will respectfully disagree with you. I have fished this pattern for a while and I can attest to it riding correctly. Thanks for the opinion though. Here is what his looks like.
:cool

VS

Ricky Bobby?
Non tagged flies? Whoever tied the kiwi muddler style streamer with tan bunny and mallard wrapped prior to the deer hair I am totally diggin this fly! Cannot wait to fish this well tied fly! I would have preferred a larger hook but beggers cannot be choosey!
haha, Ricky Bobby.... you know why I find this funny! :cool
Last edited by Woolybug25 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NICH

Post by NICH » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Got back to work today and the flies were sitting here waiting. Thanks a ton Mike you've been a great swap host :cool I would have dropped the ball at some point or been a dick

AT thats a classic post... A nice healthy does of honesty from a self proclaimed "bottom rung a-hole" al a Suck style. I haven't had time to go over all the flies yet but they look very promising. I have a couple questions about your fly I'll ask when I get a minute to look it over... It may also see some bath tub time before hand. One way or another it's going to be entertaining watching everyone defend their patterns :cool

Oh and in reply to my grade, this was hanging back in the middle of all this so I just quoted it. I've fished it quite a bit since I first tied it so I'll add this. All the trout except one have eaten it head first so I haven't been using a trailing hook any longer. The stinger hook will really only be useful if your swinging it or have just want a AK stinger style because of regs and such. I now tie it on a Gama Stinger hook.
NICH wrote:So here it be. There is concept behind the fly. I wanted to send something that everyone in the swap could throw on their home waters or wherever for that matter. So I had to come up with something that could catch salmonids, bass, pike, musky and a ton of saltwater fish. You can dead drift it, swing it, jerk strip it or let it slither around. It has two hooks, a short shank wide gape for the front and (some Gama bait hook) and a Gama octopus stinger hook. So If you going after big game fish take the stinger off and for salmonids and smaller game cut the front hook off so it's a AK stinger style rig... Or if you want to get down and dirty and throw both I don't care, but pinch the barbs for sure. It didn't make them huge (they are about 5 1/2'') and I chose chartreuse or white since that color combo fishes just about everywhere. But the idea is that you can adapt the hook configuration to the game your chasing. It looks bulky but it slims down quite a bit and the materials hold little to no water so it's not a bitch to cast all day long.

I haven't fished the fly a ton but the first test run showed some great promise and it flutters and dances a lot. I'd like to know how it fishes for you guys and what species you have success with. Any other feedback is always welcomed as usual. I put a good amount of time and thought into these and I hope they don't disappoint :cool Oh and I need a good name for this one... Any ideas?

Thanks for the feedback AT let me know what you think when you get to fish it.
"Did you hand a buddy your coors light and say "watch this" right before posting this shit?" Yard Sale

We've already discussed pissed stained goat pubes and their applications in fly tying... Do a search dumb@$$! JoshO

http://flyobsession.com/

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:08 pm

I took pix of the flies on a shooting table I'll post them up when I get a chance this evening. Don't expect Ginseng quality macro shit :cheer
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

Rhyacophila

Post by Rhyacophila » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Articulated Trico wrote: Rhyacophila-real basic well tied fly with proven color combo! Again this fly will catch anything that eats baitfish! I am going to glue some eyes on this and catch a snook in the surf! The size is small forthis swap but perfect fingerling for spring!
Honestly, I hardly feel worthy of this swap. All youz guys did a great job.

I intended to tie something bigger and better (experimental - I really do have some ideas) but got close to the deadline and had nothin started (so much for good intentions), so I tied an old standby.

so as all the guys with little dicks say:

"Size dont matter anyway"
I guess being fat and ugly isn't enough for the powder monkey - hes got to be an asshole too. (RvW)

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:45 pm

Mark- Blah, blah, blah... Remember a tight loop can travel ninety to one hundred and twenty five mph!
You have obviously never seen mark cast.
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin