Sponge Bob Square Head - Musky(predator) Popper

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
JoshO

Re: Sponge Bob Square Head - Musky(predator) Popper

Post by JoshO » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:44 am

I have used Super 77 to create all my layered foam flies and have never had a problem with seperation. They hold up just fine. One trick is to compress the foam sheets between two heavy books for 30 min or so.

I have sheets of the 5mm in Black, White & Red. Going to try the Black/Red layered, 10mm head should be just about right on a 2/0+

I also have an old collection of black flip flop foam that should make for some perfect SBSH heads...

Josh
Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically vegetable. - Ron Swanson

NEKvt

Post by NEKvt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Go with the toluene. By the time you finish gluing the heads you'll be high as shit. Not marabou high... but pretty fucking high.

blue ridge angler

Post by blue ridge angler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 pm

NEKvt wrote:Go with the toluene. By the time you finish gluing the heads you'll be high as shit. Not marabou high... but pretty fucking high.
it sounded like a good idea to me when I heard it..the goop type stuff has a real pungent odor itself..

"When you gotta pull a head off a body to be humane, then the plan was flawed." - befuddled

"FTG!" - Everyone

"Is this site related to the beautiful Magazine by the same name?" - Harold Ray

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 pm

NEKvt wrote:Go with the toluene. By the time you finish gluing the heads you'll be high as shit. Not marabou high... but pretty fucking high.
That is fucking funny! :cool
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

thalweg

Post by thalweg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 pm

That is a fine looking creature AA! That head looks really pushy pushy.
You really should drain that pool though...that line over the loveseat is calling my name. :coffee
"only two things smell like fish... and one of them is fish." -grandpa

"Please take a brief moment to answer this question as the ferry approaches the shore.
Do you have the coin to pay for your passage, or the courage to take up the oar?" -the sword

"Dreams are free motherfucker!" -d boon

FlyFish2

Post by FlyFish2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:13 pm

AA, instead of using marabou wrapped spey style could you substitute let's say peacock herl instead. Truthfully I am not good at spey tying marabou, I really suck at it, I know I am lame.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:38 pm

FF2- quality marabou- fine barbules- and a fair amount of spit make a difference. Tie it in by the tip, hold upward by the stem, and stroke the fibers toward the of the fly back between the thumb and forefinger, with a dose of spit. As you wrap, keep stroking the fibers back with each wrap. If you start to wrap barbules under the stem, back it up and clear them out. Spit controls those wavy barbules.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

SLSS wrote:FF2- quality marabou- fine barbules- and a fair amount of spit make a difference. Tie it in by the tip, hold upward by the stem, and stroke the fibers toward the of the fly back between the thumb and forefinger, with a dose of spit. As you wrap, keep stroking the fibers back with each wrap. If you start to wrap barbules under the stem, back it up and clear them out. Spit controls those wavy barbules.
Advice from hurricane country...Get one of those little desk fans. Once you've tied in the tip or stem, hold the other end and turn the little fan on as you wrap. The slight breeze pushes all of the fibers to the rear and you geta nice full collar of fluff. Sounds silly but it works - best with a rotary vice.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

FlyFish2

Post by FlyFish2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:03 pm

SLSS wrote:FF2- quality marabou- fine barbules- and a fair amount of spit make a difference. Tie it in by the tip, hold upward by the stem, and stroke the fibers toward the of the fly back between the thumb and forefinger, with a dose of spit. As you wrap, keep stroking the fibers back with each wrap. If you start to wrap barbules under the stem, back it up and clear them out. Spit controls those wavy barbules.
What is considered quality marabou?

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:25 pm

GoodBoo.JPG
GoodBoo.JPG (127.79 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Good

BadBoo.JPG
BadBoo.JPG (122.73 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Bad
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

FlyFish2

Post by FlyFish2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Where can I pick up marabou like the stuff in that first picture? All I found is stuff similar to the bottom picture.

cerevisiaephilus

Post by cerevisiaephilus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 am

In my experience, any package of strung blood quill marabou will have mostly the first type with fine barbules and good definition. I prefer the second fluffy kind for wooly buggers and other stuff with a bulky marabou tail and it can be hard to come by. Hareline makes entire packages of the fluffy stuff and calls it Wooly Bugger marabou or something like that. Make sure you're not getting that kind.
"All I feel is a slight hope that a giant, shunned, sexually deviant Cryptid will start enforcing his own perverted justice for crimes against nature." -jerome