kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
I have used Super 77 to create all my layered foam flies and have never had a problem with seperation. They hold up just fine. One trick is to compress the foam sheets between two heavy books for 30 min or so.

I have sheets of the 5mm in Black, White & Red. Going to try the Black/Red layered, 10mm head should be just about right on a 2/0+

I also have an old collection of black flip flop foam that should make for some perfect SBSH heads...

Josh
NEKvt wrote:Go with the toluene. By the time you finish gluing the heads you'll be high as shit. Not marabou high... but pretty fucking high.
it sounded like a good idea to me when I heard it..the goop type stuff has a real pungent odor itself..
NEKvt wrote:Go with the toluene. By the time you finish gluing the heads you'll be high as shit. Not marabou high... but pretty fucking high.
That is fucking funny! :cool
That is a fine looking creature AA! That head looks really pushy pushy.
You really should drain that pool though...that line over the loveseat is calling my name. :coffee
FF2- quality marabou- fine barbules- and a fair amount of spit make a difference. Tie it in by the tip, hold upward by the stem, and stroke the fibers toward the of the fly back between the thumb and forefinger, with a dose of spit. As you wrap, keep stroking the fibers back with each wrap. If you start to wrap barbules under the stem, back it up and clear them out. Spit controls those wavy barbules.
SLSS wrote:FF2- quality marabou- fine barbules- and a fair amount of spit make a difference. Tie it in by the tip, hold upward by the stem, and stroke the fibers toward the of the fly back between the thumb and forefinger, with a dose of spit. As you wrap, keep stroking the fibers back with each wrap. If you start to wrap barbules under the stem, back it up and clear them out. Spit controls those wavy barbules.
Advice from hurricane country...Get one of those little desk fans. Once you've tied in the tip or stem, hold the other end and turn the little fan on as you wrap. The slight breeze pushes all of the fibers to the rear and you geta nice full collar of fluff. Sounds silly but it works - best with a rotary vice.
SLSS wrote:FF2- quality marabou- fine barbules- and a fair amount of spit make a difference. Tie it in by the tip, hold upward by the stem, and stroke the fibers toward the of the fly back between the thumb and forefinger, with a dose of spit. As you wrap, keep stroking the fibers back with each wrap. If you start to wrap barbules under the stem, back it up and clear them out. Spit controls those wavy barbules.
What is considered quality marabou?
GoodBoo.JPG
GoodBoo.JPG (127.79 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Good

BadBoo.JPG
BadBoo.JPG (122.73 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Bad
In my experience, any package of strung blood quill marabou will have mostly the first type with fine barbules and good definition. I prefer the second fluffy kind for wooly buggers and other stuff with a bulky marabou tail and it can be hard to come by. Hareline makes entire packages of the fluffy stuff and calls it Wooly Bugger marabou or something like that. Make sure you're not getting that kind.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

The little French chick is coming along nicely

The return of Stolen Hours

October 20, 2020 #46 Gas $1,85 Last time I wa[…]

whatcha tying?

Mostly Kori spey fly

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Olive Bunny Cormorant https://live.staticfli[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine