kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
I used to fish bigger articulated crayfish flies with pretty good success. I've never really threw small stuff at them, but the smaller flies in this group make me wanna give it a go. :cool
Last year I caught more carp on a size 2 8089 craw fly than anything else. Big fly for carp but they wanted a meal. I've never had a ton of notice with the small small stuff unless I have been way back into the creeks.
I stalked a mid to upper 20lb carp for hours this past week. Got him to stare a few things down but could not get him to eat. The smallmouth on the other hand.. couldn't keep them off the line. Try it again this weekend.

Need a pro tip... these are river fish. When they're face down ass up mudding in some of these back channels. There's not much current if any.. you're not going to see them eat the fly. Do you wait to feel them on the line then set or just guess. My experience with carp is if they feel something they don't like they're pretty quick to spit the fly.
one of the methods I use is a slowed, hand twist retrieve. It keeps tension on the line, the fly is kinda moving, and you'll feel the inhale

and try to cast beyond the carp and in front of them. maybe one bigger strip to get the fly close, then the retrieve

or just use a doughball and a boober, you fucking hack
:cool
The adolescent gnar fish seemed to like steelhounds crawfly.

Boom!!
whatcha tying?

I thought I’d tie pretty flies one day. Then[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

again. with the heads. is there something wrong wi[…]

great. now I'm googling tattoo's feet.

make it stop :vomit

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine