kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By ScottP
fallen513 wrote:Let me save Scott some time.

Buy some kool aid. Mix in a little water & dunk your shit.

Voila!

In a nutshell, what he said; you can find all this info on the Interweb, but nowhere will they use the word "cock", so this is cooler.

Here's all you need:

3 glass dishes
water
vinegar
dishwashing soap
Kool Aid (2 packs unsweetened)
feathers/fur/whatever natural substrate you want (I did some grizzly hen and cock saddles so you can see how they come out a little differently; webbier feathers take the dye a bit easier)

dish #1 (for degreasing) hot water and a few drops of soap; let the feathers soak for about 5 minutes

dish #2 (rinse bath) water, vinegar (couple tablespoons) and a few drops of soap; let the feathers soak for about 5 minutes

dish #3 (dye bath) water, vinegar (couple tablespoons), a few drops of soap and 2 packs of Kool Aid

add feathers and place in the microwave for 2 minutes

ding

pull a feather out, rinse and check for color intensity (wet feathers will appear darker); if it's not what you're looking for, back in the microwave for another 2

when done, blot dry on paper towel; then finish with a hair drier (if you have a bunch of feathers or if they're little and hard to hold, put them in a nylon stocking and stick the hair drier inside); hen saddle is on the left, cock on the right

I strongly suggest you do this when your spouse is not around; you will never convince them that you'll be careful and won't make a mess
Last edited by ScottP on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
By BigTimber
oh yeah, the wife is going to fucking love this! Thanks!!!
By T.J. Brayshaw
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but is there a particular reason I would do this, instead of just buying dyed feathers?

(I totally get the "do it yourself" thing, so this is an honest question. This strikes me as a fair amount of work for something that would seem less satisfying than other "do it yourself" projects, like tying the flies, etc.)
By ScottP
Last edited by ScottP on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Adams
Scott - I'm diggin the pile of SBS you've been posting! Keep it up.

Important safety tip - its not a dyeing technique for synthetics - works on natural proteins only.
By slapshot
Excellent. I've been wanting to do this to some hackle for awhile now. Thanks dude
By D-nymph
I don't have a microwave. :stupid
By RT
Anyone ever try this on arctic fox that has already been dyed(?) white?
By Wharf Rat
If you don't have a microwave (or you want to pretend you're in a meth lab), use a camp stove to heat up the dye bath. This has the added benefit of letting you work in a place where spilled dye won't be an issue.

Thanks for the barrage of SBSs Scott. Keep 'em coming.
By tailchaser
BigTimber wrote:oh yeah, the wife is going to fucking love this! Thanks!!!
yup, that's what I was thinking.

you put the entire dish in the microwave? or just the materials?
By ScottP
Last edited by ScottP on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By pbrstreetgang
Fuck, it tastes NOTHING like Kool Aid after I dyed a bunch of feathers. You never said anything about that. I just spent the last 40 minutes evacuating my guts from every possible exit.
what the fuck man...
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

again. with the heads. is there something wrong wi[…]

great. now I'm googling tattoo's feet.

make it stop :vomit

Rust Belt 2019

Glad all you guys showed up! Had a great time fish[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine