Help - DIY Hide Tanning (payment included)

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
peetso

Help - DIY Hide Tanning (payment included)

Post by peetso » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:54 pm

[report]The other day I came home to this lying on my floor.

Funny. The cats seemingly let the mice roam free but the weasel gets the wrath. Poor bastard probably kept more mice out of my house than the fuking cats ever will.

I didn't want to just toss him out, so I figured I'd get some use out of him. Weasel zonker strips. Brought the DSFK into work, a guy I work with is a trapper on the side, we skinned the animal and its on a drying board as of 10:30 this morning.

But after an exhaustive search of the google machine, (Edit - to be honest I probably spent more time googling the payment) I've still yet to come up with a home DIY method for tanning that will give me a nice supple hide for zonker strips. And I don't know of any tannerys or taxidermists around that might have a clue.

So I turn to you guys to see if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing.

Paymento:

:cool[/report]
Last edited by peetso on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

flybug.pa.

Re: Help - Free Range Tying Materials (payment included)

Post by flybug.pa. » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Tandy leather. I saw a kit at a craft store like a year ago some where in their leather working aisle. Your cats are going to have to pick up the slack. Its in the liquid section of their site. Dr. Jacksons tanning shit is what you are looking for.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

peetso

Re: Help - DIY Hide Tanning (payment included)

Post by peetso » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks.

I think thats exactly what I'm looking for.

:cool

the borealist

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Do you know how to skin a critter? If not, Id suggest practicing on a few squirrels before you go and ruin that nice skin.

After its skinned, just dunk the skin in soapy water then rinse the soap off. Place the skin into a tupperware bin with a load of borax, which just a household cleaner, for a couple weeks and youre golden. If you arent going to de-bone the tail, itll take a good bit longer to fully cure the tail so leave it in the borax for a few extra weeks.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm

Oh, I see you already had someone skin it for you. In that case, Id just put it into a tupperware bin with an ample helping of borax and let it ride for a few weeks.

peetso

Post by peetso » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't borax leave me with a stiff skin unsuitable for zonkers?

the borealist

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:03 pm

Oh right you want to cut strips from the hide not just cure for hair/feathers. You are right, youll need a tanning solution like flybug said. You can use a borax/water solutions to dissolve any fat thats there. Im not familiar with a mink skin so I dont know and you may not need this step. You can then use the solution. Youll need to stretch and work it pretty regularly so it doesnt dry out in order for it to stay soft. Its not a set it and forget it type deal.

peetso

Post by peetso » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm

[report]Skinned and on the board.

From what I've gathered I gotta:

-stretch it
-dry it
-soak it
-scrape it
-salt it
-apply the tanning solution to it
-break it (work it back and forth over and over to soften the skin)

Then I'll tie bits of it to sharp metal things and try and make fish eat it.

:cool[/report]
Last edited by peetso on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the borealist

peetso

Post by peetso » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:19 pm

I've read all kinds of tanning solution recipes today, the most coming one is washing soda, salt and alum.

But with that solution, the hair won't stay on the hide when immersed in water . . . which would be an obvious design flaw for a fly-tying material.

I'm going to call the manufacturer of that stuff flybug was talking about to see if this will alleviate that problem.

the borealist

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Just omit the alum. Thats what gets rid of the hair. Hell, I dunno. I just stick birds skins and squirrel tails in borax and call it a day but I am not interested in the hide so this works for me.

Im sure thisll work out. :cool

Articulated Trico

Post by Articulated Trico » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:19 pm

How soft is that hair?
I like that tail! Would spin great in an intruder if it has some squirrel stiffness?
For my local squirrels I wash then with some 409 and hot water, dry in the sun, then toss in a bag of Kosher salt(sorry Mitch I owe you a squirrel tail).
Looks like you are on track for some usable materials!
"them books is wrong"

"The universe shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you will end up where you were"

"Opinions were like kittens always giving them away"

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:25 am

mink is very soft. I use it on the smaller zonkers. this however you can cut wider since you have an entire hide which translates into the shit, being very good stuff.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa