Cole's U-Con 2 Caddis SBS

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
ScottP

Cole's U-Con 2 Caddis SBS

Post by ScottP » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:18 am

Howard Cole's thinly veiled take on LaFontaine's Sparkle Pupa - a Bubble Boy in a shuck.

hook - Dai Riki 320 #16
thread - Uni 8/0 olive dun
shuck - Congo Hair amber
overbody - Sparkle Yarn olive
abdomen - dubbing olive
thorax - Mercury glass bead silver
wing - deer hair

Mash down barb, slide on bead; start thread at 60% mark

tie in shuck; fold, wrap back to bend and trim

tie in sparkle yarn

dub abdomen

push bead back against abdomen, take a thread wrap over/in front of bead; pull sparkle yarn forward over/around the top half

push it back slightly to create a bulge; tie off in front of bead and trim

clean, stack, measure (tips extend to bend) a clump of deer hair; trim to length and tie in

half hitch x 2, SHHAN

semi-ventral

Last edited by ScottP on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone stopped to stare at your technicolor motor home
RIP Walter

BigCliff

Re: Cole's U-Con 2 Caddis SBS

Post by BigCliff » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 am

Dude, I think that looks pretty genius, and a bit easier to keep afloat than a trad ESP.

Quick question- why not just use the sparkle yarn for the shuck as well?
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:56 pm

BigCliff wrote:Quick question- why not just use the sparkle yarn for the shuck as well?
I like having 2 different colors for no particular reason; using a single hank and separating some fibers for the shuck would probably work as well, and save a step.
RIP Walter

RFA

Post by RFA » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm

I like this pattern as well, but (as with the last fly I commented on), the added plastic bead seems to thwart a lot of the flies buoyancy, especially when fished for awhile. Once this thing is taken by a fish or two, I assume that it will need considerable shake/drying so it won't sink the second it lands.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:52 pm

RFA wrote:I like this pattern as well, but (as with the last fly I commented on), the added plastic bead seems to thwart a lot of the flies buoyancy, especially when fished for awhile. Once this thing is taken by a fish or two, I assume that it will need considerable shake/drying so it won't sink the second it lands.
I have fished this fly a bit (unlike Hogan's Wingman) and while it's not a high floater, a couple false casts put it back on top after a fish eats it; I also tie the wing a little denser than I would for an EHC or CDC & Elk.
RIP Walter

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:57 am

RFA wrote:I like this pattern as well, but (as with the last fly I commented on), the added plastic bead seems to thwart a lot of the flies buoyancy, especially when fished for awhile. Once this thing is taken by a fish or two, I assume that it will need considerable shake/drying so it won't sink the second it lands.
I know part of what LaFontaine was going for with the original ESP is the appearance of an air bubble trapped in/on the emerging critter, and I assumed the bead is intended to enhance that effect. http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/cadlarva.htm

I'd think the bead needs to either have the silver core or a pearly coating to pull that off.

Even if it makes it more likely to sink, the reflectivity of the bead might help it produce more on a Leisenring lift.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:17 am

BigCliff wrote:
RFA wrote:I'd think the bead needs to either have the silver core or a pearly coating to pull that off.
It is; updated that in the materials list
RIP Walter