Mercer's Z-Wing Caddis Emerger SBS

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
ScottP

Mercer's Z-Wing Caddis Emerger SBS

Post by ScottP » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Most often seen on a scud hook; tied here as an October Caddis, hence the longer iron. Easy tie, catches fish.

hook - Dai Riki 280 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 brown
back- turkey tail
rib - Ultra wire small copper
abdomen - dubbing amberish yellow-orange
wing pad - Congo Hair brown
thorax - dubbing dark brown
head - ostrich herl dark brown

Mash down barb, attach thread, wrap back to point above barb

tie in 2 sections of turkey tail (1/3 gap width), one on top of the other

tie in rib

dub thread, dub abdomen up to 75% mark

pull turkey over the top, tie down and trim

spiral rib forward, helicopter end and cover with thread

tie in CH; divide, wrap back so that it extends down both sides, then trim (even with hook point)

dub thorax

tie in ostrich

twist with thread, wrap head, tie off, trim, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

Everyone stopped to stare at your technicolor motor home
RIP Walter

Horn_Identity

Re: Mercer's Z-Wing Caddis Emerger SBS

Post by Horn_Identity » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

ScottP, have you thought about just doing one thread with all your SBS?

RFA

Post by RFA » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:38 pm

I guess not.....

How's about threads for flies that are similar? I see two posted in the last 24 hours that are variations of each other.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Guys, I just throw them out there as they come to me; organizing this stuff would take actual thought on my part, not my strong suit. I agree the last 2 were similar and could have been combined; I'll keep that in mind. Never really considered just putting them all in one thread 'cause I refer back to old ones often and it would be a bitch for me to page back through a single thread. If I'm throwing too much out there, please feel free to let me know, or the mods can pitch them.
RIP Walter

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Hell no Scott, always enjoy your stuff, plus it reminds just how shitty my flies are!

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Keeping it all in one thread would be a big hit around here.

Your many fans and followers would still see your daily efforts, or twice daily or thrice daily or whatever because you'd keep your thread bumped to the top all the time with every new SBS post.

Think about this: The SBS you posted last Wednesday is probably back like 16 pages by now because you've posted 15 pages worth of SBS threads in 7 days in this forum. God forbid someone wanted to search for one you posted back in July, now we're talking like 105 pages of your individual SBS posts.

I think one thread would actually increase your visibility and readership. Keep in mind that this is not your personal blog or web page, folks actually come here for other things if you can fathom that.

"Never really considered just putting them all in one thread 'cause I refer back to old ones often and it would be a bitch for me to page back through a single thread."

This shouldn't be a page for your own reference but, rather, a continuous thread for your many fans and followers to reference. You think it's a bitch for you to page back through? Think about your fan base man, they can't find their ass with both hands the way you're doing it.

Your fans and readers are searching by "ScottP", they don't remember the name of the fly you tied but they'll recognize it when they see it.

Make it easy for them man, put them all in one thread.

Suggested title:

"The Thumbnail That Will Not Heal"
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 pm

I just check in to see how his thumb is doing.

It's not the fly anyway, it's the drift.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:36 am

Suggested title:

i am a fan . put it in its own thread if you want. or not.
the thumb. this is the longest healing process i have ever seen.
i have had a joint replaced that healed quicker.
disclaimer: gsp thread, superglue and lead eyes are not the hot ticket
i believe the poly in the thread is too slick. need epoxy.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

brent_e

Post by brent_e » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:55 am

How about this, folks.
I have a few free hours and have been meaning to do this anyway. Scott's stuff should be in a book and this is as close as we can get currently. Let me know if you have any suggestions!? I'll try and get this populated ASAP but am in the arctic working so it may take a little while!

Be nice if someone can make it a sticky.

http://www.drakemag.com/message-boards/ ... =6&t=27020

Brent
You don't sweat much for a fat chick - pibber

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah these are really nice step by steps with good photos but please for the love of dog stop starting a new topic for each and every one. Good grief.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:11 pm

KEEP IT ON ONE THREAD

Keeping it all in one thread would be a big hit around here.

Your many fans and followers would still see your daily efforts, or twice daily or thrice daily or whatever because you'd keep your thread bumped to the top all the time with every new SBS post.

Think about this: The SBS you posted last Wednesday is probably back like 16 pages by now because you've posted 15 pages worth of SBS threads in 7 days in this forum. God forbid someone wanted to search for one you posted back in July, now we're talking like 105 pages of your individual SBS posts.

I think one thread would actually increase your visibility and readership. Keep in mind that this is not your personal blog or web page, folks actually come here for other things if you can fathom that.
"Never really considered just putting them all in one thread 'cause I refer back to old ones often and it would be a bitch for me to page back through a single thread."

This shouldn't be a page for your own reference but, rather, a continuous thread for your many fans and followers to reference. You think it's a bitch for you to page back through? Think about your fan base man, they can't find their ass with both hands the way you're doing it.

Your fans and readers are searching by "ScottP", they don't remember the name of the fly you tied but they'll recognize it when they see it.

Make it easy for them man, put them all in one thread.

Suggested title:

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:56 am

Okey dokey. Do you folks want this to be from here on, or do you want the older posts concatenated/appended to the single file, too? I can delete threads if there aren't any comments from other members to free up eye space on the forum; otherwise, I can't get rid of them.
Gonna be on the road for a month and probably won't be doing much tying in the trailer so, as long as we have wifi, I can Cmd+C Cmd+V.
RIP Walter