Welp I'm screwed

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Spicytuna

Welp I'm screwed

Post by Spicytuna » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:14 pm

After receiving a killer balsa fly from the late Carolina Fly I was hooked as that fly was $$$, well I lost in the mouth of a very above average fish for me.

Since then I have looked and messaged and tried to track someone down who can do similar work.

Finally I took it upon myself and this will now consume way to much of my time that I didn't have much to start with.

I got the wood and the paints that I will need. Have not even got into hooks, weed guards, materials to trailer etc... I am in to deep and have no clue what I am doing but what the hell I like how they fish.

Any tips hints or ideas please send them as I am all ears, no seriously I need info if ya got it.

So it here it goes.

Phase one:

Front:

Bottom:

More to come...
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

cornholio

Re: Welp I'm screwed

Post by cornholio » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Looks like a penis head.
Huh..huh...I said penis.

Seriously...nice start Spicy! Let me know what type / size hooks you need and whatever tail materials you need. I got a lot of that shit scattered on the floor and will send some to you.

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm

I don't know the first thing as far hooks sizes and all that shit. I will have to measure the bottom when I am done sanding it to see what size hook I need. I got AW on the lifeline as well, between the two of you I should be just fine.

thanks
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Palometa does a nice finish man...he should be good for some info...seriously...no penis about it

Palometa

Post by Palometa » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:48 am

CC- thanks. Spicedawg, how are you going to finish that beast? I'd say paint and then apply 2part epoxy with a paint brush. Let me know if I can help. Cool project
Protect WYDAHO fish & game, fence out Utah.

overbrook

Post by overbrook » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:33 am

That's how I do mine...I just use cheap acrylic paints and coat them with zpoxy...fuckers are as tough as nails....but Palmetto has that fancy airbrush shit so his are prettier than mine.
"Enjoy these times before you get married and ruin your life." Fat Tire

"this place is full of very sweet, nice, kind gentlemen. You will like them, just don't sit on their laps." Vaku

I like everybody up here.
If I go down there... that's gonna change. I'm here for the fishin'... Fallen513

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:24 am

I got the cheap acrylic paint for now. I already have two coats of sealer on then I am going to paint it then put the varnish on at the end. Got some small brushes that seems to work fine for the painting. At my pace right now I can probably bust out maybe 2 flies per month, but i am pumped to catch fish on something I put a lot of work into. will keep the progress updated.

Surly

Post by Surly » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:08 pm

If'n you want to try airbrushing, I'd recommend the Copic marker "system." Alcohol (mmmm, alcohol) markers, a nozzle-thingy and a can of compressed air. Cheaper than an airbrush setup. But tougher to feather/blend colors.
"If the trout are lost, smash the State." Thomas McGuane

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:23 am

Here is the latest.

As of now I am cool with the sealer, paint, and varnish with the brush. I don't need to get any deeper than I am maybe down the road I will look at an airbrush.

This shit is fun and I am stoked to see it come together. Can't wait to stick my first pig on one.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:43 am

Spicytuna wrote:Here is the latest.

As of now I am cool with the sealer, paint, and varnish with the brush. I don't need to get any deeper than I am maybe down the road I will look at an airbrush.

This shit is fun and I am stoked to see it come together. Can't wait to stick my first pig on one.
Nice! We are going to need a lighter in the pic for reference.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:52 am

My bad, that is standard now in teh suk I will sit in the corner and feel shame now

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Here ya go Yard...