kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
By -G-
Flies are all here and packed away for each one of yous. Whenever I’m not working, when the post office is, I’ll be dropping them off. They all look great too. Happy holidays fuckos.
By Woolybug25
Wifey threw my flies in my tying room and I completely forgot about them until tonight. Just did a deep clean and ran across them. I am enjoying looking through them. Fucking great flies, gang. :cool
By pbrstreetgang
So I guess these were mailed out in order of submission...kinda passive/aggressive, -G-

But I get it as things like this are hard to forget. You knew that already, though.
:wink
By yard4sale
aren’t GL fish skamania strain, aka summer fish?
By pbrstreetgang
Skams, Chambers Creek, and Ganaraska.

The WiDNR nixed one of the strains, sighting poor returns and average size being smaller than Skams. The catch here: our summer river temps are too high for salmonids to survive, so a summer run would have great chance of just ending up as shoreline carpeting.
I get it though as Skams are bigger in size - and the WiDNR wants its return on the investment - so they play to the charters. With baitfish crashing, clarity issue (the GL are getting too clear in some spots due to invasive mussels), and other challenges, the DNR is propping up bigger fish to be caught in the lake so the charters can continue to operate.

The truth behind this:
it is all charterboat welfare bullshit. The DNRs don't know what to do with the mess that is now the GL Frankenfishery, so they play to the charterboat lobbyists.
One upside - they are considering to re-introduce coaster brook trout. Which seems odd to me, since they have pretty much sold out lake trout for chinook since the charterboats "prefer" chinook...it's a real fucking shame.
By -G-
pbrstreetgang wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:25 pm So I guess these were mailed out in order of submission...kinda passive/aggressive, -G-

But I get it as things like this are hard to forget. You knew that already, though.
:wink
Yeah, yeah.. cry me a river. You lot’s tardiness was so inspiring I’ve been looking at them all packaged away neatly on my passenger seat as I drive by the post office on my way home each day this week. Suck it! Soon, though. :Roll Eyes
By stillsteamin
yard4sale wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 am aren’t GL fish skamania strain, aka summer fish?
Skams are gay. Great lakes skams are all pellet heads that are stocked to keep smiles on the faces of shit heels from Indiana and corporate retreat types that keep the charter captains in business. The OG great lakes steelhead were stocked in either the PM or Little Manistee I dont remember which sometime in the late 1800's and they were McCloud winter fish. The story goes that it was an accident, they thought they had resident rainbow trout eggs but then all the smolts disappeared... for 3 years or so. That stock of fish has since spread up and down the northwest coast of the lower peninsula and is the only significant naturally reproducing population in the great lakes. (The rust belt dudes are gonna hate that, maybe GS or Pibber can prove me wrong). There are wild winter fish elsewhere, in Lake Superior and probably a few in Lake Ontario but the MIDNR runs its entire hatchery program off the egg and jizz take from wild fish in the Little Manistee river alone and that stream still returns thousands of wild fish every year. Idk anyplace else where that goes on.

Ironically that means that the only place wild McCloud steelhead still exist is in northern Michigan. Those genetics have been muddled some, but with the northwest in the condition it's in, I will wager these are the finest steelhead left in healthy numbers in the country. Or maybe I just think that because its the only place I can catch them.
By LTFI
It always amazes me how far those McCloud genetics have traveled and how often they've found success. Im'a have to dig a little deeper into the history of the great lakers.

Wait.... Some of you got flys already? :coffee
By pbrstreetgang
-G- wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 am
Yeah, yeah.. cry me a river. You lot’s tardiness was so inspiring I’ve been looking at them all packaged away neatly on my passenger seat as I drive by the post office on my way home each day this week. Suck it! Soon, though. :Roll Eyes
[/quote]
Fair volley
By pbrstreetgang
stillsteamin wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 pm
yard4sale wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:50 am aren’t GL fish skamania strain, aka summer fish?
Skams are gay. Great lakes skams are all pellet heads that are stocked to keep smiles on the faces of shit heels from Indiana and corporate retreat types that keep the charter captains in business. The OG great lakes steelhead were stocked in either the PM or Little Manistee I dont remember which sometime in the late 1800's and they were McCloud winter fish. The story goes that it was an accident, they thought they had resident rainbow trout eggs but then all the smolts disappeared... for 3 years or so. That stock of fish has since spread up and down the northwest coast of the lower peninsula and is the only significant naturally reproducing population in the great lakes. (The rust belt dudes are gonna hate that, maybe GS or Pibber can prove me wrong). There are wild winter fish elsewhere, in Lake Superior and probably a few in Lake Ontario but the MIDNR runs its entire hatchery program off the egg and jizz take from wild fish in the Little Manistee river alone and that stream still returns thousands of wild fish every year. Idk anyplace else where that goes on.

Ironically that means that the only place wild McCloud steelhead still exist is in northern Michigan. Those genetics have been muddled some, but with the northwest in the condition it's in, I will wager these are the finest steelhead left in healthy numbers in the country. Or maybe I just think that because its the only place I can catch them.
WiDNR - we have zero natural reproduction on the SE tribs in Wisconsin. Due to industrial/commercial/residential use, the temps in summer on the tribs are too high. So stocking is all we get. And McClouds are pipe-dreams. Most of what we see are chambers IIRC, with the occasional errant Arley...but those are not stocked by WiDNR. We supply a lot of the squeezers from a few "steelhead facilities" we have (Root River, as an example) - mostly the Chinooks that we share with IN and MI. Again, fucking Chinooks...

Shit, we've started seeing more pinks lately too...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49909295692_1[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

BRF’s Hi-vis Spinner II https://live.s[…]

93F279A2-B8AE-4AAA-8F54-DB6286C7D6DE.jpeg

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine