What am I?

LTD

Re: What am I?

Post by LTD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm

Upsetter wrote:Nope, cant say that about the ABA, thanks for the link. Although, it seems like her affiliation is considered by the ABA to be as prestigous as all those other affiliations listed in the same paragraph, including their own organization. They dont sepearate it out as a point of major concern. Why would the ABA consider her affiliation with laraza to not be a problem and instead list it as an accolade? Honestly, I don't know a lot about the ABA and its positions regarding topics that concern me. Although think the ABA would remain neutral rather than assume any specific position that would represent many opinions across the board. I mean, if they are in fact a racist organization comparable to the kkk, as you suggest? Thats not what I am suggesting...If I were I would have just said it. There are many other "white activist groups" that cannot reasonably be blanketed with a KKK reference. Has the ABA been duped? I mean, w/in the legal community, the ABA is pretty conservative, so I would expect them to take issue with this if it was in fact an issue.

FTR, I have no on the ground understanding of how la raza operates. I had never even heard of them until that day in cali where all the illegals went on strike or whatever it is they did. (Burnt the AMERICAN flag amongst other things) Then they were all over the news for a while, but otherwise I know nothing about them. I did read some of their 'peaceful propaganda' though: http://www.nclr.org/section/about/history. They seem to be a civil rights group. I am sure that can translate to angry people on the ground though, saying and doing things the group wouldnt support. I know I saw that back in the midwest when things were bad b/n black and white folks around the end of the 'crack era', late 80's, early 90's. I lived in kinda bad neighborhoods back then and saw folks pulling in different directions as far as giving a voice to their frustrations, concerns, and desires.
I agree with you when you talk about the La Raza supporters on the ground. On the other hand....How do you view Sotomayor being a CONFIRMED MEMBER OF LA RAZA (not for just a short time but for many years) knowing the Board as well as the Founders of La Raza spew and support racially bias activism like the statements below? Is this appropriate for her to be considered for a SCJ? Would it be appropriate for ANY potential SCJ, black, white, purple, brown, yellow? IMO....NO! Now...knowing the above to be TRUE...How about you?
[report]
file.jpg
file.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 592 times
[/report]
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:32 pm

Well, taken with the caveat that all those guitierrez statements came out of a single news conference in 1969, not long after the guy's house was burnt down and he was kidnapped for purposes of 'shutting him up' (http://www.uta.edu/public-affairs/offic ... hp?id=2133), it would seem that la raza followed a similar path to many civil rights groups w/origins in the 60's. Born out of indignation and rage at perceived injustices, they sooner or later turned to more productive and peaceable forms of activism. For laraza, it would appear that turn came about in the 70's as its leaders became accepted by mainstream culture and their ealier anger, evidenced by that press conference, was diffused. Like so many others, they turned away from anger and confrontation to community building and opening pathways for people to achieve positive ends, like going to college, entering professional careers, etc.

So, how do I feel about sotomayor's involvement with this group decades later? I guess I would want to know what her involvement constituted. Based on my earlier link, it would appear la raza published a legal journal out of UC-Berkeley, so if sotomayor's involvement in laraza, as a leading figure in the legal community, was to spur laraza in appropriate directions for advancing their cause of equal rights and treatment for latinos, as well as encouraging latinos to pursue legal careers, aiding in developing programs to help latinos do just that, then I guess I dont have a problem with it.

For my part, I recognize and accept that many of the leading organizations in the civil rights movement have violent, angry origins because of the societal conditions in which they were founded. If it turns out that sotomayor's involvement in la raza was to incite violence or hatred towards other people and pull laraza in that direction, I would be appalled, and think she has no business being a judge period, much less a SCt justice. Something tells me though, that this is not the case, like the fact that bush sr, a texan, appointed her to the 2nd circuit. Why would he do that if she had anything in her past that would suggest such an attitude?

LTD

Post by LTD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Upsetter wrote:Well, taken with the caveat that all those guitierrez statements came out of a single news conference in 1969, not long after the guy's house was burnt down and he was kidnapped for purposes of 'shutting him up' (http://www.uta.edu/public-affairs/offic ... hp?id=2133), it would seem that la raza followed a similar path to many civil rights groups w/origins in the 60's. Born out of indignation and rage at perceived injustices, they sooner or later turned to more productive and peaceable forms of activism. For laraza, it would appear that turn came about in the 70's as its leaders became accepted by mainstream culture and their ealier anger, evidenced by that press conference, was diffused. Like so many others, they turned away from anger and confrontation to community building and opening pathways for people to achieve positive ends, like going to college, entering professional careers, etc.

So, how do I feel about sotomayor's involvement with this group decades later? I guess I would want to know what her involvement constituted. Based on my earlier link, it would appear la raza published a legal journal out of UC-Berkeley, so if sotomayor's involvement in laraza, as a leading figure in the legal community, was to spur laraza in appropriate directions for advancing their cause of equal rights and treatment for latinos, as well as encouraging latinos to pursue legal careers, aiding in developing programs to help latinos do just that, then I guess I dont have a problem with it.

For my part, I recognize and accept that many of the leading organizations in the civil rights movement have violent, angry origins because of the societal conditions in which they were founded. If it turns out that sotomayor's involvement in la raza was to incite violence or hatred towards other people and pull laraza in that direction, I would be appalled, and think she has no business being a judge period, much less a SCt justice. Something tells me though, that this is not the case, like the fact that bush sr, a texan, appointed her to the 2nd circuit. Why would he do that if she had anything in her past that would suggest such an attitude?
A good question.....one we will likely never know.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

upstanding

Post by upstanding » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:09 pm

LTD:

We take turns in the politics of federal judges. It's now our turn to get 5 to 4...Kennedy and Thomas before his eight are up. The constitution is what 5 says it is; the meaning of the acts of the congress are what 5 says it is...I want my five at bat...after all your five put bushman in the whitehouse when the constitution said put in the House where politics is a profession and at the time 'publican's ruled the House but no 5 said we got it right can't have politics decide the election of a president and he is it.

Today's Supremes are the essence of cloaked partisan politics; consequently, it's our turn. As between Lucifer and the Scal and Ali on the bench I'd want the Devil at least his in for sin and not all sin is bad IMHO clerics notwithstanding...

LTD

Post by LTD » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:20 pm

upstanding wrote:LTD:

We take turns in the politics of federal judges. It's now our turn to get 5 to 4...Kennedy and Thomas before his eight are up. The constitution is what 5 says it is; the meaning of the acts of the congress are what 5 says it is...I want my five at bat...after all your five put bushman in the whitehouse when the constitution said put in the House where politics is a profession and at the time 'publican's ruled the House but no 5 said we got it right can't have politics decide the election of a president and he is it.

Today's Supremes are the essence of cloaked partisan politics; consequently, it's our turn. As between Lucifer and the Scal and Ali on the bench I'd want the Devil at least his in for sin and not all sin is bad IMHO clerics notwithstanding...
Hey upstanding......good to hear from you hope all is well! I think its safe to say you will have your 5!