DID ANYONE NOTICE

eponymous

Re: DID ANYONE NOTICE

Post by eponymous » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am

gadflyfisher wrote:
eponymous wrote:
gadflyfisher wrote:Having listened to all the released police tapes I have yet to hear the yelling or verbal abuse of the officer.
They also only give us the officers dealings with dispatch not with the suspect. It is still he said he said as to how the confrontational atmosphere began.
It is not exactly a "he said he said". It is a he said he said witnesses and other officers corrobating the one of the he's did say.....jus sayin'.
I have been waiting for witness statements. Where have you seen them. I have felt from the start that if we had some statements from the onlookers that were on scene this whole mess would have been resolved one way or the other long ago.
Not talking other officers here, corroborating your fellow officers lies is part of the job in some places.
The day after it happened there were a few local TV news interviews of folks who were at the scene. I have not seen them since.
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:29 am

stonedfly wrote:
eponymous wrote:
I'm curious to know what issues you had here in the US. Were you a US citizen at the time? Did you have a job and insurance? What were the injuries / illnesses?
Yes and yes. I was born in the Tennessee to an anesthesiologist father. I have been insured all my life (obviously). Careful lest you begin to sound sanctimonious.
not intended that way. simply looking for the background story.
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm

When someone can show me ONE thing that government does:
1)efficiently
2)economically
3)timely
4)compassionately
5)effectively
etc etc

I will be interested in them running health care.

As politicians do, they cause the problems and then tell us they know best how to fix them. Damn near every one of them needs to find themselves unemployed and/or under indictment. fuck every last one of them. :gun :gun This isnt a left vs right issue, as there is little difference between the two. Its plain and simple, right vs wrong.
"Get back home where you belong, and dont ya run off no more"

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:41 pm

When they come up with a plan good enough for Congress fucks and Senators they can sign me up.

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 am

Lenny wrote:When someone can show me ONE thing that government does:
1)efficiently
2)economically
3)timely
4)compassionately
5)effectively
etc etc

I will be interested in them running health care.
How about Medicare? It's certainly not perfect, but by almost all accounts it's better than the private alternatives. User satisfaction with medicare is far, far higher than for private insurance, medicare costs have grown more slowly than private insurance costs over the last 30+ years, medicare has significantly lower overhead, etc. etc.

I know Adam Smith would roll over in his grave to hear it, but the private market just flat out doesn't work in some (very particular) cases. I believe medical care to be one of those cases; that is, unless we're willing to truly deny care to some people, which I don't think anyone is advocating.

I know Uncle Ronnie used to love to rail about how government was always the problem, but the fact of the matter is, the government does some things well - better in fact than private industry.
Lenny wrote: As politicians do, they cause the problems and then tell us they know best how to fix them. Damn near every one of them needs to find themselves unemployed and/or under indictment. fuck every last one of them. :gun :gun This isnt a left vs right issue, as there is little difference between the two. Its plain and simple, right vs wrong.
I agree that our political system is badly broken - I don't know who first proposed the idea, but I love the idea of making all politicians wear suits like NASCAR drivers, with all their sponsors emblazoned on them. At least that way it'd be a little bit more obvious where their true interest were. As it is now, we have a bunch of guys that get hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from health insurers and drug companies working on health care reform. I'm not naive enough to believe that what they come up with will be perfect, but it'd be hard to do worse than what we have right now.

And, I agree that gov't played a large role in creating the mess that is the current US health care system - the (gov't imposed) wage controls in effect at the end of the WWII meant that companies had to find another way to attract talent and the companies settled on health bennies as a good draw - the rest is history.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Isnt Medicare about a Zillion dollars in the hole?

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:04 pm

No worries. We will just tax the wealthy and limit evil CEO's pay and it will be fine.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:06 pm

SOBF wrote:
No worries. We will just tax the wealthy and limit evil CEO's pay and it will be fine.
phew, thanks. I was starting to get worried.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 pm

phew, thanks. I was starting to get worried.
Man...no worries...BO will save us all