By ditchdoc
I've always had the opinion that we should listen to our military leaders. They're the experts. Not the politicians. Having said that, how can you make the troops keep their mouths shut and subordinate, when their leader shows insubordination to the commander-n-chief? I don't think he deserves to be fired. He needs to be reminded that you "praise in public" and "reprimand/disagree in private." What would he have done if one of his junior aides had criticized him in Rolling Stone? I garaun-god-damn-t-you he would not have been happy either. I know there are some who will disagree, but I think Obama is the kind of man who will listen and then make a decision. He has not shown that he is above reason.
By SOBF
I know there are some who will disagree, but I think Obama is the kind of man who will listen and then make a decision. He has not shown that he is above reason.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
He has shown otherwise.
By m.b.
ditchdoc wrote:but I think Obama is the kind of man who will listen and then make a decision. He has not shown that he is above reason.
the moratorium...
By Mattb
ditchdoc wrote: I don't think he deserves to be fired. He needs to be reminded that you "praise in public" and "reprimand/disagree in private."
I would agree with this if it was the first time this had happened, but this is the second time McChrystal has done this to Obama, and at this point he's really left Obama with no choice. McChrystal's a smart guy, he knew how the article would turn out, so he really does need to go.
By flybug.pa.
i believe the general has issuses with ALL authority figures who have no clue what is going on in Afghanistan . Fucking crazy taliban nearly got one of those figures (holbrook) today. :coffee
By Sakonnet
Mattb wrote:McChrystal's a smart guy, he knew how the article would turn out, so he really does need to go.
He may have wanted this. Things not looking too good, offensive plans being postponed/altered... could be he's looking at this as a better alternative than potentially being sacked/cashiered for lack of "progress" (I have no idea how big his ego is and if he gives a fuck about how history remembers him). Article reads like he's not following his own advice about hunkering down in a shitty situation. I have to agree though that BO needs to sack him. :coffee
By BigCliff
m.b. wrote:
ditchdoc wrote:but I think Obama is the kind of man who will listen and then make a decision. He has not shown that he is above reason.
the moratorium...
I think the situations are a bit diff't.

If he holds off on canning the first mouthy general we get two mouthy generals. There's a swift fix to that.

If a drilling moratorium was the right thing to do and he dithered, and we got a second oil geyser like the current one, then what the fuck do we do? I'm not saying its likely, I'm saying the downside of getting that call wrong is MUCH bigger than a mouthy general or two.
By ditchdoc
SOBF wrote:
I know there are some who will disagree, but I think Obama is the kind of man who will listen and then make a decision. He has not shown that he is above reason.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
He has shown otherwise.
The cop did act stupidly. And the President talked to both men involved==together. sounds reasonable to me.
By ditchdoc
m.b. wrote:
the moratorium...
You do know what moratorium means, right? Sounds more reasonable, at this point, than "drill baby drill."
By SOBF
The cop did act stupidly. And the President talked to both men involved==together. sounds reasonable to me.
BO made his comments before all the facts were in. That is my point. Not sure if the Pres needed to be involved in a local PD matter but that's another story.
By LTD
It's likely we will NEVER know the real reasons as to why MCC choose to revel his true feelings through RS. I really wish he would have just resigned prior to his statements without apology. He signed up for a tough job, took it by the only horns horn he could grab (be it only one from the sounds of it) , and served his country to the fullest. Thank you!
By The Volfish
The LAST thing you could call him is insubordinate.

He DID engage in behavior that once in public view (RS) has called his conduct into question.

Aside from airing his frustrations, he's faithfully executed his Commission. Too bad his boss cant say the same for his Oath.

It reminds me of the time Kyner and Heero went fis[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Dessie Paul’s Mayfly https://live.stat[…]

Impeachment pool

teflon don, teflon shawn. I give a fuck. where's […]

Thanks, Honyuker! Now, about that addy? And where[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine