An offer you can't refuse

Upsetter

Re: An offer you can't refuse

Post by Upsetter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:02 pm

Good post Doc! :cool

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 pm

ditchdoc wrote:The middle class has always made up the bulk of tax revenues. The difference is that when I pay more in taxes, my net income goes down and I move further down the economic ladder. When the one percent pay more taxes, they remain the one percent.

I've never had children, so I've never received the child exemption on my taxes, and therefore pay more. I pay the same tax rate for schools and services which I have never benefitted from. I don't bitch about it because I believe in civilization and the common good. Having said that, there is a lot of bullshit that our tax dollars get spent on, not to mention the outright waste. How much money has been, and still is being pissed away in the Middle-East? We will never get a full accounting of that. When pallets of cash just disappear into a black hole, you can bet that you and I are getting fucked. What could that money have done right here?

I'm of the first generation of baby-boomers. I've been around long enough to see an amazing amount of change. Some of that change has been very discouraging. The fifties and early sixties were boom-times. The American middle class was the envy of the world. It literally drove our, and for a large part, the world's economy. The middle class, since then, has been in decline steadily. St. Ronnie and his ilk destroyed unions. Wages have, overall, stagnated or declined since then. At the alter of profit and dividends, corporations merged, consolidated and moved their manufacturing off shore. Careers were lost. Paychecks were lost. Benefits were lost. Tax revenues were lost. Banks were allowed to pretty much do anything they wanted--damn the risk. Lobbying took over Washington. Now we have ALEC, Citizens United, bought-and-paid-for politicians. None of them give two shits about the middle class.

We have only one recourse. Stop drinking so much of our particular brand of kool-aid, pay attention, separate the bullshit from fact, and VOTE!
Great post. I concur with everything but the last paragraph. It is no coincidence that our police state is ramping up the violence at this point in time. They KNOW we have more options than voting and are attempting to frighten the citizens into believing that we don't.

Options:

Vote. Protest. Revolt. Drop out.

Bernie or burned. That is the stark choice. Anything else just continues the status quo in the best scenario, or accelerates our steady decline.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:27 am

Yes, of course Bernie is the answer. Yet ANOTHER CAREER POLITICIAN is going to fix this? Really? Is that truly what you believe? The liberals are hysterical - at least Obama looked different, which I suppose made the promises and ra-ra talks more believable. Career politicians are ALL THE SAME. If you think any of them have our interest in mind and give a Flying goat fuck about anything over than getting re-elected or running for higher office, you are straight fucking crazy. Bernie - case in point.

Trust me, I am absolutely NOT saying that Carson or Trump are the answer, but at the very fucking least... they are not career politicians. While neither of them are electable, it is a step in the right direction. How hard is it to grasp that the leader of this nation should be a person who is successful outside of the political arena? People who get into politics without having accomplished anything in life do so for themselves... For the money, for the ego for the power, who knows why. Career politicians are the lowest of the fucking low and we'd all be in better shape if we never voted for an encumbent, ever, no way. That is real change that might actually work, because it's not so easy for them to be bought. They have concerns other than reelection, like our interests, in mind.

Don't drink it. It's res, it smells like cherries, and everyone is doing it. Don't do it. Don't vote for a career politician.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09 am

I'd vote for you.

Is making a career out of public service the same in your view as being a career politician?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... e-20150429

Let there be HIGH water!

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Trump and Carson a step in the right direction?

Holy shit.

A guy who's been born into $, filed for bankruptcy to milk his failed real estate dealings over the decades, a blithering racist, and would likely set policies that would benefit his own business dealings, since afterall, he's no career politico....he's a holy righteous businessman, overflowing with life experiences all americans can relate to...like backroom business deals....and lambasting foreigners while having his own line of ties made in China...

Another guy who is as fucking batshit crazy like Caribou Barbie....who in a previous version of 'Merican la-la land, was also "an outsider". He sure is raking in the $ during his book tour; you know the one where he essentially suspended his campaign so he could bend the morons over and sell books? Whew...with priorities like that transferred to the WH, and wow improvement will be just around the corner, I promise.
This a guy who is currently trying to prove that he was violent as a youth and he stabbed someone to get what? Kudos? Street Cred?

The problem with the R's, and to a degree 'Merica in general, is the idea that "see above" is a step in the right direction.

Where is the big list of $ Bernie has taken when compared to every other lifelong congressman? Where is his Super-Pac? Well, he has none. Surely our sensational, appeal to IQ's of no more than 80 media surely would have dug up dirt on all the power and money Bernie has acquired thru his shady political dealings?

Go look up how much Mayor of Burlington paid in the late 70's/early 80's. Oh the greed...

Speaking of greed...if one follows the logic, only guys (and fiorina types) from the "outside" can win as "they can't be bought". Lol...uh...the reason they can't be bought, is because they're the ones doing the buying! In other words: 'Merica needs an outsider, someone who's never been bought, and knows the middle class....so let's elect a billionaire, cuz they can't be bought!

"let's make America the greatest oligarchy on earth again"
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:06 pm

can you even still vote in this country?

Seriously, you give me the choice between a batshit crazy brain surgeon and another Bush, and I'll take my chances with the crazy. Trump was a bad example, he should just go away. The only thing he has going for him is that he is not a career politician. That is all.

MTG knows the truth. Spud 2020.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Spudnik wrote: Trump was a bad example, he should just go away. The only thing he has going for him is that he is not a career politician. That is all.
That and he will fire the shit out of all the incompetent hacks working in the executive branch and replace them with people who actually perform their jobs well and have no interest in being sycophantic, career bureaucrats.

The power of the president to affect sweeping change is wisely limited by our separations of power and checks and balances btw the branches. However, one thing the president can do is run the executive branch well. Actually cut costs, eliminate waste, fire incompetent hacks, negotiate effectively with other countries, etc.

If I could put a fine point on the trump candidacy is that he is going to fix the bloated and dysfunctional executive branch or run it into the ground trying to fix it...and then file for chapter 11 protection. :cheer

I am fine with either outcome.

Trump wouldnt be my first choice for this task either. There are better. But his candidacy is groundbreaking in the sense that other, less bombastic and divisive business leaders will hopefully follow suit now that they see a good chunk of the public is hungry for it, even if its trump.

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Spudnik wrote:can you even still vote in this country?

Seriously, you give me the choice between a batshit crazy brain surgeon and another Bush, and I'll take my chances with the crazy. Trump was a bad example, he should just go away. The only thing he has going for him is that he is not a career politician. That is all.

MTG knows the truth. Spud 2020.

Have you ever traveled outside of the country? And no, Texas doesn't count....
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Upsetter wrote:
Spudnik wrote: Trump was a bad example, he should just go away. The only thing he has going for him is that he is not a career politician. That is all.
That and he will fire the shit out of all the incompetent hacks working in the executive branch and replace them with people who actually perform their jobs well and have no interest in being sycophantic, career bureaucrats.

The power of the president to affect sweeping change is wisely limited by our separations of power and checks and balances btw the branches. However, one thing the president can do is run the executive branch well. Actually cut costs, eliminate waste, fire incompetent hacks, negotiate effectively with other countries, etc.

If I could put a fine point on the trump candidacy is that he is going to fix the bloated and dysfunctional executive branch or run it into the ground trying to fix it...and then file for chapter 11 protection. :cheer

I am fine with either outcome.

Trump wouldnt be my first choice for this task either. There are better. But his candidacy is groundbreaking in the sense that other, less bombastic and divisive business leaders will hopefully follow suit now that they see a good chunk of the public is hungry for it, even if its trump.

Let's follow this logic for a minute:

In your words, "...negotiate effectively with other countries,etc" Oh, right....like the POS Sen. Cotton writing his 5th grade letter to Iran? Like when Nutandyahoo spoke propaganda at congress to usurp our own democratic protocol? Gotcha...

Why on earth, would anyone objectively EVER want to work for Donald fucking Trump? Seriously? You'll end w/ the worst of the worst; soulless greedy little pricks setting policy to protect their and daddies money....again, the middle class loses.

The smart folks in the know, including a billionaire who appears to have his own independent ability to form a thought/idea, Mike Bloomberg...want nothing to do with the scrutiny and extreme fundamentalism in congress. Who would? Yup....only more of the "scream the loudest and craziest"....cuz Trump needs dumb folks around him to look smart and leader like. It's what gets him ratings.

Less bombastic folks by their very nature don't want to play with extremists, simply put. Only extremists want to play with other extremists, thats why the R party looks like it does today.

According to the Trump/GOP platform currently, anyone with a pussy or a tan won't be able to apply for these cabinet positions...and no Fiorina doesn't count....she's a newly discovered species known as greedytwaticus fuckdamiddleclassum. That of course will go over like a lead balloon with minorities that will very soon be the majority.

If anything,sadly, the rise of folks who are batshit crazy will not bring sane people to the table to sum up your assertion; particularly if the party they are part of embraces and enables craziness. Shit, look how hard it is for a Bush....lol...he can't say crazy enough shit!

I am intrigued by your assertion of a "bloated" executive. Care to expand on the bloating concept there? To me, the powers as you pointed out are very limited. I mean shit, he can't get that gun control you want, he can't get the immigration reform the R party loves so dearly,etc. Yea, it took a few years to tell Keystone to fuck off, and he's dragging his feet on Pebble....would you prefer the alternative to the latter two? By my take, the executive spending would be my eye blinking once, whereas the power of the purse in congress is the other 23.9999 hours of my day.

Lol...I don't think you'd enjoy the US filing for Chapter 11, so to speak, and I'm pretty sure deep down you know that.

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:58 pm

I have only been to Canada and have not been fortunate enough to travel anywhere else out of country. Once I finish graduate school, I do plan to go to somewhere in South America and do a ton of blow.

I have, however, been to 43 states so far. Texas ain't one., weirdly. I am always amazed by people who call America home and have seen more countries than states. They don't even know their own people and claim that we "should be more like other countries."

MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Spudnik wrote: Once I finish graduate school, I do plan to go to somewhere in South America and do a ton of blow.
Isn't that called spring break?

I'd make a damn great "ambassador at large for coldwater fishes". Don't let me down man.

Let there be HIGH water!

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Spudnik wrote:They don't even know their own people and claim that we "should be more like other countries."
FUCK that noise. I say gtfo if that is your sentiment. We dont need you, GTFO

We definitely dont need to be more like any other shithole country in this G-d forsaken world. We need to be more like the country we used to be. The beacon of freedom and self determination that we were after the world wars came to an end, and we can do even better now given the lessons weve learned since then.