CA Senate Primary

BigCliff

CA Senate Primary

Post by BigCliff » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Thought this was interesting for its uniqueness if nothing else- 34 candidates ran for Boxer's open senate seat, and now the top two vote getters will be the sole options on the ballot in November. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/calif ... -democrats Using the same system, I could easily see two republicans making the runoff in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, etc

I suppose I'm also bringing it up for my own entertainment, to see the reactions from some of y'all at the prospect of only having female Dem's on said ballot...

Buy better hooks and bourbon.

yard4sale

Re: CA Senate Primary

Post by yard4sale » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:12 pm

Why does it matter if they are female?

Don't get me wrong, I already hear Hillary pounding the female/minority drum and I hate it. We clearly have bigger issues to solve.

But cmon man, saying shit like that is what gets people all riled up.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Plow

Post by Plow » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:45 pm

yard4sale wrote:Why does it matter if they are female?

Don't get me wrong, I already hear Hillary pounding the female/minority drum and I hate it. We clearly have bigger issues to solve.
Ditto that right there.

hillary's pounding on that drum because she can't pound on her record.
Better Reds than dead...

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:07 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (186.45 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Cary

Post by Cary » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:45 am

Men have been fucking shit up since time began, put the ladies in charge.
Utah is great, it's just too bad it's in Utah...
-CE

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:53 am

go trump.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 am

austrotard wrote:go trump.
Trump, go away.

Fixt.

There's a ballot initiative collecting signatures for a top-two primary system here in AZ. I'd put its chance of success at near zero. The last time it was tried it was voted down almost 2 - 1. Dems don't like the idea of not having their guy on the ballot, even though in many districts it's largely symbolic. And teapublicans don't want anyone who doesn't share their Trumptopian vision to have a chance of being elected.

Given who shows up to vote in primaries, in practice top-two would mean most of us would get a choice between the batshit crazy tea-party Republican candidate and the somewhat less batshit crazy second-place Republican candidate. Despite primary elections being funded by taxpayers Independents can't vote in them, and the party establishments will fight with their last breath to keep it that way.
"unsalvageably incoherent"

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:14 am

Jon wrote:Given who shows up to vote in primaries, in practice top-two would mean most of us would get a choice between the batshit crazy tea-party Republican candidate and the somewhat less batshit crazy second-place Republican candidate. Despite primary elections being funded by taxpayers Independents can't vote in them, and the party establishments will fight with their last breath to keep it that way.
Yup. I like where you're going here- instead of insisting that all primaries be open, tell the parties that if they want a closed primary, they're putting it on and paying for it.

One can only imagine the shenanigans party managed primaries would bring though...

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:38 pm

BigCliff wrote:Thought this was interesting for its uniqueness if nothing else- 34 candidates ran for Boxer's open senate seat, and now the top two vote getters will be the sole options on the ballot in November. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/calif ... -democrats Using the same system, I could easily see two republicans making the runoff in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, etc

I suppose I'm also bringing it up for my own entertainment, to see the reactions from some of y'all at the prospect of only having female Dem's on said ballot...

Louisiana has an open - free for all primary system like that. If a candidate wins more than 50% of the vote in a primary, they get the office. If not, the top 2 vote getters go to a runoff. They can be of the same party, different parties, same sex, different sexes, sexually fluid or what the fuck ever. It is what it is, and I fail to see what's the big deal about it being 2 females, minority or otherwise. Why get fixated on gender and or race? Vote on their platform and/or record.... of course even if you vote on the issues, people will accuse you of voting based on race/gender etc.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:06 am

Redchaser wrote:
BigCliff wrote:Thought this was interesting for its uniqueness if nothing else- 34 candidates ran for Boxer's open senate seat, and now the top two vote getters will be the sole options on the ballot in November. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/calif ... -democrats Using the same system, I could easily see two republicans making the runoff in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, etc

Louisiana has an open - free for all primary system like that. If a candidate wins more than 50% of the vote in a primary, they get the office. If not, the top 2 vote getters go to a runoff. They can be of the same party, different parties, same sex, different sexes, sexually fluid or what the fuck ever. It is what it is, and I fail to see what's the big deal about it being 2 females, minority or otherwise. Why get fixated on gender and or race? Vote on their platform and/or record.... of course even if you vote on the issues, people will accuse you of voting based on race/gender etc.
The problem I see with that is the turnout difference between primary elections and mid term or presidential. Don't know what y'all's look like over in LA, but Texas avg's about 60% for Presidential elections, 40% for mid terms, and frequently well under 20% or even for primaries. I mean sure, its the fault of the voters for sitting out primaries, but allowing elections with such low turnout to determine who becomes the people's representative doesn't seem ideal.

I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of the fact that its two women on that ballot, but rather that the result was two democrats and nobody else. Then again, other than Hillary, I've never seen the Right devote more hate to a politician than they have Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein...

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:04 pm

BigCliff wrote:... other than Hillary, I've never seen the Right devote more hate to a politician than they have Pelosi, Boxer and Feinstein...
I'm assuming you're not forgetting the Most Hated in Chief?
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:19 pm

^^^ This fixes nothing ^^^
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!