By Ginseng Sullivan
OK so 25% on steel, 10% on Aluminum.

Question- what was the price difference between US and imported steel to begin with? Does the tariff make up the difference? I searched online and fuck yeah I can buy myself some steel from damn near anywhere. I could not find an exact comparison product, US and imported. I don't know fuck all about steel but was just looking to compare Korean apples to Washington and couldn't seem to do it.

His dim logic is that this will bring back the US steel industry but then he exempts countries representing 25% of the current imports. So now it's a 25% of 75% tariff as it stands now with likely more exemptions to come.

If we tax imports of raw materials does that not spur the domestic manufacturing to start looking at importing the finished product which is currently not taxed? Why import steel, pay 25% more for it when you can have the wiley Chine make the product out of their cheap steel and sell that to you minus the 25%? Seems that wouldn't help US manufacturing.

The general consensus is that the tariff won't be enough to hurt other manufacturing. OK then how the fuck will it help the US steel industry? You can't have it both ways. Either it's enough to make a difference or its just wind.

Fake news is reporting that a PA steel company is now starting two new furnaces and re hiring 500 workers. Before the tariffs will even take effect and with what little effect they all claim it will have, how the fuck is that possible? Well, I'm glad for it and somehow it's possible but I don't buy the kiss my fucking ring look what I did for you bullshit.

Funny too there's this special election in PA tuesday...
By CC Riebeeck
Ginseng Sullivan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 am OK so 25% on steel, 10% on Aluminum.

Question- what was the price difference between US and imported steel to begin with? Does the tariff make up the difference? I searched online and fuck yeah I can buy myself some steel from damn near anywhere. I could not find an exact comparison product, US and imported. I don't know fuck all about steel but was just looking to compare Korean apples to Washington and couldn't seem to do it.

His dim logic is that this will bring back the US steel industry but then he exempts countries representing 25% of the current imports. So now it's a 25% of 75% tariff as it stands now with likely more exemptions to come.

If we tax imports of raw materials does that not spur the domestic manufacturing to start looking at importing the finished product which is currently not taxed? Why import steel, pay 25% more for it when you can have the wiley Chine make the product out of their cheap steel and sell that to you minus the 25%? Seems that wouldn't help US manufacturing.

The general consensus is that the tariff won't be enough to hurt other manufacturing. OK then how the fuck will it help the US steel industry? You can't have it both ways. Either it's enough to make a difference or its just wind.

Fake news is reporting that a PA steel company is now starting two new furnaces and re hiring 500 workers. Before the tariffs will even take effect and with what little effect they all claim it will have, how the fuck is that possible? Well, I'm glad for it and somehow it's possible but I don't buy the kiss my fucking ring look what I did for you bullshit.

Funny too there's this special election in PA tuesday...
So he's placing a tariff on aluminum, to what end? Who cares. (Well I'm not allowed it seems, to care...cause as some have told me "it's not my monkey or circus.") Seems the U-Sucks-A closed 11 aluminum smelters while the Chinoise built about 30. Of course they do, just like they will gladly buy unrefined bitumen to refine ONLY back home (and we stupidly sell it to them...fuck Trudeau that cosplay dolt). And we've about 3 refineries left in this place. Looks like China is great again...
And you're spot on Nick, yuze guys will get fucked from both ends. Only winners are the .1%
You won't be able to afford stainless steel flatware from even a dollar store any longer...and that starts with you rustbelters.
By Kfoxwyo
As boring as it may be, wooden pallets went up 30% last year to this year..anyone want to guess why? Thats about 4K directly to my COGS for one brand for one year. We have about 15 different brands.
By VTNZ
I suspect your wooden pallets are used with Canukistani lumber? And Commie in Chief put a doodee/tariff on it.

He's a fucking retard, only surpassed by the folks who bought into him.

How much steel comes from China to US?

Answer: 2 fucking percent.

Way to fuck yer allies, or whats left of them, i.e. Canadadia who exports the most steel to the DSA.

Get ready for the Trumpinistas to pay more for their canned beer.....'murica doesn't produce enough aluminum and has to import high grade aluminum to make cans for beer and canned food. Have fun with that.

Like most everything since 1980, it ain't other countries taking yer jobs....90% of all manufacturing losses in both the DSA and the UK were the result of automation and robotization. Lol, but yea...threaten the German auto makers...the same germans who hire folks in the south and midwest at their auto plants. Good paying jobs for folks in Alabama, S.C, etc etc.

If I was zee germans I'd say "ok, we're moving our plants to Toronto....have fun in the stone ages..."
By ironman
VTNZ wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:10 am Get ready for the Trumpinistas to pay more for their canned beer.....'murica doesn't produce enough aluminum and has to import high grade aluminum to make cans for beer and canned food. Have fun with that.
higher grade alloys aren't used in beers cans. the alloys used to make cans are referred to as common alloys.

I agree with your point, that the US doesn't produce enough aluminum to meet demand. that's certainly true, and why we need imports. primarily on common alloys - 1000 series, 3000 series, and 5000 series.

the can market is really owned by 2 mills, and their business is healthy and well run. add in golden which is owned by who? that's right.... coors. i'm not too concerned about the cost of a can. the hipsters are to blame for the recent, old brand price hikes, the likes of which aren't related to the cost of aluminum.
By Kfoxwyo
Yes indeed, Canukistani as you say. Funny thing is that no America sourced wood floated to the top to fill the void left by the tariffs. Who ever came up with "Drain the Swamp" likely helped him win-have to admit it is pretty catchy-just untrue as fuck. But who's counting....
By Surly
Covfefe
By ironman
Kfoxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 pm Funny thing is that no America sourced wood floated to the top to fill the void left by the tariffs....
Remarkable isn't it? Same for steel and aluminum.

All this talk about these industries and mills roaring back, will only happen if there's a long term market to support it. Econ 101. So far all we've experienced, is longer lead times, inflated costs, and uncertainty. Midwest Premium to hit $0.20/#. This is why I'm not a fan of the gubmint getting involved in industry and markets they really don't understand.

Related news: PM Justin Trudeau and his government, are now scrambling to enact their own duties and penalties against foreign metal. They are trying to prevent import metal being diverted from US shores, from arriving and decimating Canadian steel and aluminum industries. Seems "attractively priced" products, aren't welcome when they threaten the health of companies and employees in Canada. So deliciously hypocritical, yet a smart move for maintaining their tariff exclusion and renegotiating NAFTA.

Relates: the Canadian Border/Customs/Security/Workers Union is looking for monies for additional workload associated with the not-yet enacted duties and penalties.

My mornings start with a cup of coffee and the daily edition of the AMM. It used to be catching up on what happened overnight on Teh Suk.
:coffee
By Kfoxwyo
Shit man, I just make booze-and I'd like to think that we have skipped on bottom and are about to bottom out but as he surrounds himself with more like minded people does not feel like bottom yet. At this point I hope he has pissed off enough of the FBI, CIA, DOD and generals in mass that we don't just go to war so he can to stimulate the economy and make his military parade inflate the size of his hands and ego. I know every country has their own inherit problems, but it was fucking hard to come back from Argentina right after the Florida awfulness and and now this continued mess.
By LTD
BigCliff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:50 pm Theory- its just a negotiating tactic being used to gain him leverage to "fix NAFTA".

The Trump presidency is a testament to the "lesser of two evils wins" approach.
Nailed it....
By BigCliff
LTD wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 pm
BigCliff wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:50 pm Theory- its just a negotiating tactic being used to gain him leverage to "fix NAFTA".

The Trump presidency is a testament to the "lesser of two evils wins" approach.
Nailed it....
And that what's originally perceived as the lesser of two evils may turn out to be a truly evil mutherfucker.
By dunk
The greatness is killing me

We sent a container to China and the test marketing went very, very well. The Chinese love fancy American booze it turns out. Got ready to send another order then - wait...

The 10% tariff made pricing weird so we're on hold for now. If it goes to 25% as is the discussion we'd be done there apparently. New jobs here are on hold for now too.

Then I get the notice that all our packaging is going up largely due to tarriffs. That dosen't help my economy or the economy of our employees or our community... After all, the true american shops at wally world and wants cheap shit and more of it

FWIW its about 50 years too late to save the steel / aluminium industries as we once knew them

Hung our breathables up till may. I guess that mea[…]

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/12/small-firm-lawye[…]

Ah Mark, Dog rest his soul. All he wanted for th[…]

come hell or high water tr

Good year SFB. Thanks for all you do for us on the[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine