This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ok so the wife wants to take a summer trip away..............she suggested Bahamas but I hate paying for what I have in our own backyard. She wants to head to western North Carolina for a hike and maybe rent a house for a bit but we have done that many times over. So I suggested a trip to Montana or Wyoming for some mountain scenery, cooler weather, change of scenery, and maybe our first attempt on a float or something of the sort. She was pretty OK with the suggestion.

Trip requirements, must be able to fly in rather cheaply, rent a car, must be beautiful countryside, i guess have some trout, fine places to eat and stay, and be somewhat toddler friendly. Yeah I gots baggage these days......................At the perfect spot we would be to able to rent a quaint pad for 4 days, have fine dinning close by, be able to access pretty hardcore day hikes with a short drive, and lastly maybe access to a few fellow drakians that would swap some fresh trips for some salt trips back in South Florida.

Any suggestions? Let me preface that I know COCK about trout fishing or the area I speak of above nor have we defined any dates but I suspect btwn June & August but hopefully the later after tarpon season.

GED
This is easy man. Fly into Bozeman, rent a car, drive to Livingston, head south and make your base camp here - www.chicohotsprings.com/

This hot spring has great accommodations, a kick butt restaurant and a bar with $1 PBR's. It's centrally located in Paradise Valley (aptly named) and just a stones throw from the Yellowstone River with great hikes just behind the resort in the Absaroka MTN range. Plus, it's an easy drive down to the park (everyone should do the Beartooth HWY drive once in their life). Options are endless if you base out of Chico, it really is a great place.

PM me when you decide what you're going to do, I'll put your ass in the front of my boat for a day.
Listen to badfish.
pm sent.
Bad Fish wrote:This is easy man. Fly into Bozeman, rent a car, drive to Livingston, head south and make your base camp here - http://www.chicohotsprings.com/

This hot spring has great accommodations, a kick butt restaurant and a bar with $1 PBR's. It's centrally located in Paradise Valley (aptly named) and just a stones throw from the Yellowstone River with great hikes just behind the resort in the Absaroka MTN range. Plus, it's an easy drive down to the park (everyone should do the Beartooth HWY drive once in their life). Options are endless if you base out of Chico, it really is a great place.

PM me when you decide what you're going to do, I'll put your ass in the front of my boat for a day.
Aaaaaand... your planning is done...
Bad Fish wrote:Plus, it's an easy drive down to the park (everyone should do the Beartooth HWY drive once in their life).
x2
And you can drive right to a grayling lake, fish the Upper Clarks Fork for dinks, or about 1000 other pieces of water.
What Bad fish said AND you are welcome in my boat as well. I can show you some out of the way places to fish/hike a short drive from Livingston and let you experience the summertime Bighorn or vice versa.
Yer done. Between BF & BT the fishing's covered, and if you've never been to YNP- well, holy shit you're in for a great surprise. Great hiking, great scenery, amazing wildlife, and the fishing's ok too.
And if you dont like how all that prices out, you can always fly into billings (usually much cheaper than bzn) and stay up in the red lodge neck of the woods. Day hikes galore into the beartooth plateau, which has the best alpine lake fishing in the state, tons of small crick fishing along the way. You also have a great freestone floater in teh stillwater and rock creek right outside your door. Cooke city, NE entrance to the park, is about the same distance as gardiner is from chico, and the beartooth pass is only 20 miles instead of being a full day trip of driving thru the park. There are lots of places to stay, but one that is hanging over prime rock cr water is the rock creek resort: http://www.rockcreekresort.com/. Upside, there is a lot more to do in red lodge (restaurants, walks thru town, possible special events, etc) than the dice when you arent hiking and fishing. The hiking is better from red lodge side, esp the top of the pass neck of the woods, pm me for some options if you like. And amenities like restaurants etc, will be way closer to where youre staying, so a lot less driving around at night. Downside, no upper stone and no hotsprings.
Catch the Cody museums, especially if you're into guns... you won't believe what they have there. The Buffalo Bill and Western Art museums are great, too. You're also close (by western standards) to the Tetons. Better have a look while you're in the 'hood.
wow lots of good suggestions and PM's as well.............thanks to all.

Any other advice is certainly welcomed.

I guess I will see how much much she really wants to do this. She loves to plan exceedingly and which is good and bad...................only thing I ever plan for is 12:30pm is dump time for me, better be near a head or a roll of toilet paper.
Fly into SLC and drive up through Idaho or Wyoming through J-Hole and Grand Teton NP into Yellowstone. Alot to see, do, and fish. Plenty of places you can be dropped off to fish while the rest of the family drives through doing the tourist thing. Driggs is within an hour of everything, cheaper, and not as crowded as other towns during the summer. Plus an abundance of empty, fairly new houses has led to really cheap vacation rentals in the area.

If you get over this way, PM me. I can put you on some smaller water that should be pretty productive with big hoppers and such that time of year. Not very technical fishing and lots of fun.

My folks have done a similar trip many times, fly into Denver or Salt Lake. Rent a car and its easy to plan sort of a loop through the parks and such since its a vacation and not a fishing trip.
Fissures in Trout Idolatry

I wouldn't call meself a literary critic but it la[…]

2nd batch ready to ship. Hope you guys like some[…]

Top shelf goods :cool

Enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn2MwHGbP1A&fe[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine