Kettles...

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Gremlin

Kettles...

Post by Gremlin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:53 pm

sorry for the spam, but this is not my area of specialty. I am tired of buying cheap Timexs that don't last (the bands/pins always go out on me, often under 1 year). So, for the man who can not afford a Rolex.... can you list some companies that make good, but not outrageously priced analog watches. Keep in mind, that I will be shopping at Lost Coast Outfitters, lol.....

G
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

Spicytuna

Re: Kettles...

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Gremlin wrote:sorry for the spam, but this is not my area of specialty. I am tired of buying cheap Timexs that don't last (the bands/pins always go out on me, often under 1 year). So, for the man who can not afford a Rolex.... can you list some companies that make good, but not outrageously priced analog watches. Keep in mind, that I will be shopping at Lost Coast Outfitters, lol.....

G
http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A107-Aut ... tch+square

And damn its on sale, she paid way more that what its going for right now.

Wife got me this for our wedding. single most complimented thing I have ever owned and is a battle tank, no batteries either its a wind watch.

my 2 cents

Not sure if Lost Coast carries it but its a good deal.
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

SouthFork

Post by SouthFork » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Give up the analog and get a Casio Pathfinder. Its bomb proof. Survived fine sheetrock dust on two house remodels. Lots of days on the water, and everything else thrown in. Its big, its a little bulky but I swear you could use it as a hammer in a pinch. I have constantly worn it for about 3 or 4 years now, and never had a problem with it.

I don't know how to operate more than a few things on it, but its still been a great watch.
That was one of the finest examples of spiritual guidance I've ever had the good fortune to witness.

Lurgee

Post by Lurgee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm rough on stuff and historically have destroyed watches in no time whatsoever.

However, upon reading this post I looked down at the Citizen I've been wearing for the last 8 years and realized I've done nothing to it other than reset it for daylight savings time and many time zone jumps. Been bulletproof as far as I'm concerned.
"Fried Chicken for President!" Trucha del Mar

"Sweet Jesus... untold hundreds of linear miles of pristine trout water within pissing distance, and you cocksuckers went fishing for carp?
What's next? A Wang Chung show? Ajax

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Reasonable cost, I would consider either a Suunto (digital) or a Luminox (analog). Either are bombproof and have street cred when it comes to adventure. You'll spend $300 and up, but should stay under $500 with enough options.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Glista

Post by Glista » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I’m with SouthFork on the Casio. I have had a G-sock for 5 or 6 years now. Tough, water proof, Solar powered.

http://www.shopcasio.com/category/watch ... ns-watches

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Glista wrote:Solar powered
What if its raining????
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:16 pm

I'd skip the solar option. The batteries are expensive and it's easy to fry the circuitry when replacing them due to the nature of the battery being rechargeable.

Can't go wrong with a Pathfinder though... Love Casio.

Need more criteria. Budget, dress or function, etc.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

dunk

Post by dunk » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Omega Seamaster - beat this shit out of this one for years. Sent it back to them a few months ago and got it back looking showroom new. bunch of new springs, new crown and other mechanical shit in it too.

Suunto Core - I'm not bright enough to figure it out but it seems like it can do some cool shit. WB - show me how to use the thing over a pint of IPA sometime...

Wife just got me a Shinola - bad ass and made in Detroit for a reasonable price...
You can''t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. Frank Zappa

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:22 pm

buy a snide.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Momentum...made in BC...titanium...analogue (fuck digital)...sub $200

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Glista wrote:I’m with SouthFork on the Casio. I have had a G-sock for 5 or 6 years now. Tough, water proof, Solar powered.

http://www.shopcasio.com/category/watch ... ns-watches
Count me in too! Atomic time, so you never have to set it either. Pair that with never having to change the battery (solar recharge), being waterproof and being shockproof... and you have a kick ass watch.
Spicytuna wrote:
Glista wrote:Solar powered
What if its raining????
I originally bought mine in Colorado, so I was worried about this when I moved to Buffalo, but never had a problem. I'm sure Charlie will echo that sentiment. If you don't have to worry about it in Buffalo (or MI, for that matter), then you don't have to worry about it anywhere.
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com