Chubby Sex Chicken SbS

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
kollman

Re: Chubby Sex Chicken SbS

Post by kollman » Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the tip on getting the hair damp and then drying before trimming. I will have to give that one a try on my next bug.

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Mon May 24, 2010 11:17 am

SLSS wrote:
Outside Bend wrote:

I'm not sure of the physics of it, but it seems to cause the hair to swell, and the body of the bug/head/whatever to become more dense. I just hold the spun body part to the spout of a teapot for a couple seconds with hemostats, it works.
OB's right. Ad water to something absorbent and it expands. When I get around to spinning deerhair I get all the bugs tied/spun and put them in a wire strainer before trimming. Hold them over a tea pot steam for a few seconds, bounce/mix them in the strainer, few more seconds of steam. Then let them cool and dry before trimming. If you trim right away the hair will be soft and hard to trim. Let them dry out and they hold shape and trim much nicer.

If your bugs/muddlers get mashed to shit, clean them up and steam them and they'll look near new. Same with most any fly, especially dries with good hackle.

Awesome tip, thanks guys.

Now that SLSS mentions restoring hackle, I do remember that tid-bit lost somewhere back there in the ole brain pan.
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

kamikaze74

Post by kamikaze74 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:59 am

bump for a dam good pattern
Anytime you dont feel special, remember: You could have been a blowjob.

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 pm

SLSS wrote:
Outside Bend wrote:
D-nymph wrote:

Wait, what? This seems like a top secret deer hair trick? What do you steam with? What's it do to the hair to allow better trimming? Interesting.

I'm not sure of the physics of it, but it seems to cause the hair to swell, and the body of the bug/head/whatever to become more dense. I just hold the spun body part to the spout of a teapot for a couple seconds with hemostats, it works.
OB's right. Ad water to something absorbent and it expands. When I get around to spinning deerhair I get all the bugs tied/spun and put them in a wire strainer before trimming. Hold them over a tea pot steam for a few seconds, bounce/mix them in the strainer, few more seconds of steam. Then let them cool and dry before trimming. If you trim right away the hair will be soft and hard to trim. Let them dry out and they hold shape and trim much nicer.

If your bugs/muddlers get mashed to shit, clean them up and steam them and they'll look near new. Same with most any fly, especially dries with good hackle.

i never thought of this....

thanks guys
"Most of my money I spent on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted." locogringo

"Fishing and whores... 99 percent of my brain activity." Blumpkin

shunned

Post by shunned » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:58 am

I knew steam would put a fucked salmon fly wing back to it's original glory but I did not know the deer hair trick.

I shall now pretend I made this up all by myself.
ta.
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:34 pm

fucking works great!!!!

makes them way easier to trim!!!

thanks again
"Most of my money I spent on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted." locogringo

"Fishing and whores... 99 percent of my brain activity." Blumpkin

steelhound

Post by steelhound » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:33 pm

Going back in time, this is a kick ass fly and sbs
frustrated. After a few "what the fucks?" "i suck"s and a break on shore I convinced her to get back to casting. I clearly remember this question/statement "so you actually think this is fun. These fish are fucked"
Marlo

overbrook

Post by overbrook » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:34 pm

steelhound wrote:Going back in time, this is a kick ass fly and sbs
Hell yeah! Thanks SH, one of these days I need to take the time to peruse way back thru this section....there are probably nuggets of fuckin gold everywhere!
"Enjoy these times before you get married and ruin your life." Fat Tire

"this place is full of very sweet, nice, kind gentlemen. You will like them, just don't sit on their laps." Vaku

I like everybody up here.
If I go down there... that's gonna change. I'm here for the fishin'... Fallen513

mendthatshit87

Post by mendthatshit87 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:30 pm

RIP Squiggly. Miss that guy. Hell of a tie.
"......what evil lurks in the hearts of Drake."