All threads that bitch about new, existing, or old members will be posted/relocated here. Keep this shit off the General forum, because no one wants (or cares) to hear your opinions. Now go back to the other forums and post something worthy of reading.
By VTNZ
You make some good points. Though the "journey"thing has been completely and utterly hijacked in social media/movies; shitting on a trail and photos of guys getting pissed off at lodges aside....

But I will rise to your challenge sir!

Bonefish on Strike Indicators it is!!! :cool
By yard4sale
VTNZ wrote:You make some good points. Though the "journey"thing has been completely and utterly hijacked in social media/movies; shitting on a trail and photos of guys getting pissed off at lodges aside....

But I will rise to your challenge sir!

Bonefish on Strike Indicators it is!!! :cool
Agreed.

Shit, now I have to sight cast a crab pattern to steelhead? Can it at least be a shrimp? I'm going to need somebody with size 4 shoes to work form my casting platform. Nemo?
By VTNZ
Nah....what you need to do is swing deerhair frogs made for bassin'...but for the ghosts of Steel. Now that would be different and pretty funny once you succeed! In pc speak...lets break down the barriers amongst the flies....

Nymphing for bones?

Swinging frogs for Steel?

San Juan worms in the film?

Midging for Crappie?
By Randall Dee
I'm calling out Yardsale. He struggled to take enough photos long before he was a daddy.

VTNZ, I agree with most of what you said. The dick swinging, the same old, same old in TR's. Hell, even the stupid banter when some newbie drops in to post in the classifieds. But then again it's hard to keep a TR fresh. When you throw up a TR, I know you're in NZ, but that's all I know. I couldn't say north or south island, let alone what river you're on. When getrdone posts, I know he's in FLA, but that's all I know. I've posted 3 different trips to WY. I challenge you to tell me what lakes I hiked to. And if you can, then you knew already and I haven't told you anything you didn't already know. And if all you learned was that it was WY, then good for you, go exploring. If you think someone is fishing your river now because of a photo you posted, then they knew already or you need to be more selective on the photos you post.

If nothing else, its good to see you pop your head up out of the basement. Some of those other fuks can stay down there for good as far as I'm concerned.
By VTNZ
I hear ya Randy, but truth be told, and I think I mentioned this to Yard on some other thread and Upsetter has had the same problem:

Multi-web fishing spot forensic stalkers.

You may think I'm far off and there are rivers everywhere in NZ; but what these dudes are doing before their 90 day fishing junket down here to make their eGOpro movies and such, is gleam the webs for areas,pics, landmarks,etc. The NI looks totally different than the SI; then the SI has distinctions within it where if you see one type of fauna or color of water, so can void out 50% or more of the island,etc. Once it's whittled down, they start looking for info and what rivers there are in that region,etc. "oooh look, and landslide in the back of the photo..."

Unrelates: All good down here, got a few days off before a big stint so I can play mental jujitsu on here for a bit. :cool
By yard4sale
VTNZ wrote:Nah....what you need to do is swing deerhair frogs made for bassin'...but for the ghosts of Steel. Now that would be different and pretty funny once you succeed! In pc speak...lets break down the barriers amongst the flies....

Nymphing for bones?

Swinging frogs for Steel?

San Juan worms in the film?

Midging for Crappie?
Ha! Bacon2fry (Remember him?) convinced me to chug bass poppers early season when steelie rivers are blown or off-color. Still do it but have yet to get one like that. Now I have to keep trying.

As for the chain smoking baby, don't you have a widespreadpanic or drivebytruckers show to attend tonight? There better be a TR.
By D-nymph
VTNZ wrote:I just think the sport, passion, hobby, whatverthefuckyouzecallit....has jumped the shark. A TR a few years back of some cool place I'd never been to along with some truly witty and twisted banter was what drew me here.

But now not only is no place secret or low key, the social media webs and the fuckall attention span means I feel like I've seen it all before. Trout-done and done again, very,very few places a TR would perk my interest as something fresh, let's say. Steel? Fucking overkill, literally and figuratively. Salt? All the guys with attitudes and salt stuff are mostly gone (hold on, let me check, watch this [hands around mouth, yelling at the top of my voice: WOLVES!!!! LTD....you there? Hello? tap,tap..])....nothing like a Vitamin D/sunlight deficiency in seppovian winter and some salty attitude banter. Alaska? Salmon eating crayola crayons and rainbows with cleft palates...Bass? Pretty flies,but they'll eat a wine cork with a hook in it fyi...

And the only things left are the priciest, privatized places: Atlantic water, Iceland, or say, Kamchatka. And even now, there are look at me fishing video TR's all over the place....chasing the dream broheem...trustfund stylie.

Did I mention that this place is also become mostly a my rod is longer than yours swingy fishing site? But hey, buy a Reddington "Chromer"...lol.

The game has changed with social media overload...."if" I find a place left on earth truly cool to fish and special....no fucking way I'd post it here or anywhere....we're overcooked.

Remove the Overeaters Anonymous bake from the front page and the place would have boards on the windows.

Solution? Go fishing...with no camera or phone, and just bloody well enjoy it. Sorry teh suk....
So, this place, for you, is & has been only about the TRs. Interesting.
By peetso
D-nymph wrote: So, this place, for you, is & has been only about the TRs. Interesting.
All the good banter is hidden and squirreled away in a billion topics about god knows what, scattered in threads and boards all over the place. Which makes it hard to keep up on it all unless you've got the time too sift through it all.

I personally thought this place was at its best when TRs were the jumping off point for all manner of discussion and wit and infighting and whatnot.

I find the reverse is now true

the good TRs just get the standard responses, (which i'm as guilty of as anyone else)

"Nice"

"real good"

"thats gorgeous country"

"x2"

"what he said"

" :cool "

and the bad ones don't get called on their shit (hotspotting, landmarking, a pic of every damn fish you caught, grip and grins, boringness, same old shit, non-DIY trips, etc) because of the new and gentle suk and worrying about everybody's feels.

So yeah TR's matter to me, its what feeds the stoke. Its about fly fishing and how this community approached it, its what drew us here, thats the soul of this place, or was anyway.

If its just a bunch of dudes yapping without persevering that part of it, well I can find that anywhere nowadays.

my 2 cents.
By Upsetter
Im going to pm jed about an auto-resizing feature for direct downloads from our phones. Resizing is a pita and I have a lot of iphone pics I can post without regret. I think this would bump the amount of pics folks could/would post in the almost a tr and friday threads.

I never was one for telling a huge story. This place aint practice for my creative writing career. I barely have time to piss and moan about the state of our sorry union any more. But I will post a lot more nice pics of my two corners of the world if that feature comes to pass. Promise.
RIP Croaker.

Here's to Croaker. RIP dude.

2021 Smalljaw Swap

Your flyties look great. Way to go. We have the […]

UV stuff

Just got some uv stuff in the other day. Was putt[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

3/25/2021 60 clouds turning to drizzle to dow[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine