kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
Peetso

Get some denatured alcohol or methanol

Soak the entire thing in a vat of either for a week.

It'll set the hair in the skin and will degrease and cure the hide. Then you'll have to break and soften it yourself but I believe you will get the results you're after

:cool
By SLSS
peetso wrote:Methanol you say . . . just so happens the meth lab has a 43350.6 gallon tank of the stuff.

thanks Brad :cool
Wondered what you did up there in the Great White North….
I tanned the first muskrat I ever caught, which was probably in about 1985, and I still have the hide (and occasionally use the fur for nimps). I used a basic Tandy kit and it worked pretty well. The fur is soft and supple. The hide isn't as soft as Heero's hands, but I think it would work for zonker strips.
My great grandma shopped at Goodwill and always coveted the long trench coats with fox or mink collars.

As utes we would practice our burglary skills by breaking into her house (she was also my neighbor) and stealing gold coins from a shoebox beneath her bed, adjacent to the boxes of various designer aerosol fragrances and shitty plastic tupperware from Reader's Digest.

If I only knew then what I know now. You'd envy my mink.
Did this ever turn out? I wanna see some flies.
Good bump. I'm interested as well.

FyI snakes: scrape and salt the skin until dry, a few days. Then soak in 50/50 glycerin and alcohol for a few days. This makes a nice soft snake.
MTgrayling wrote:Good bump. I'm interested as well.

FyI snakes: scrape and salt the skin until dry, a few days. Then soak in 50/50 glycerin and alcohol for a few days. This makes a nice soft snake.
I'm interested as well.

Life has gotten in the way of a lot of things since then, (mostly the fun things) I've still got the skin and still plan on doing this.

I'll keep you boys updated when I get around to it this winter.
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

a-ha... prematura ejactulatorie. my a-notta so goo[…]

A Confession

you know as well as I do it'll be a woman. most li[…]

Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

Bump FFS

whatcha tying?

Fokker...rooibaard

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine