By B.M. Barrelcooker
It's justified cause y'all don't think like us.

Haha . There's always gonna be something to argue about.

I'm glad we all have the freedom to express our own opinions and I'm glad that most of us could all get along fishing together.

I'm going back upstairs yall :smile
By Da Ax
BigCliff wrote:
Da Ax wrote:As quaint or flawed as some may think it is, it was designed so that everyone's voice was to be heard. Not just populations centers.
Problem is: any system that doesn't base the election on the popular vote is inherently stating that some people's opinions are more valuable than others.

If a "population center" holds more sway in determining an election's result, so what? Do we want a system where a larger proportion of dirt voting a given way is more important than how the total proportion of humans vote?

Why/how is that justified?
So you are OK with those living in population centers making decisions for the rest of the population? I'm not advocating this one way or the other...but values to people or populations change with geographic location. People in NY city have vastly different sets of values than I do. I'm not sure I want them speaking for me. The electoral is designed to support the popular vote in their particular location. This was done. Had someone went against what the popular vote in their location, I'd have an issue with this. (Like a few in Trump's camp that said they would do that.) There has to be a balance between the popular vote and how that is viewed in the country as a whole.

To be clear, had Hillary won, I'd be saying the same thing. I'm not politically motivated, at least no passionately enough to protest or even to make my position known. Some would take this to mean that I don't care...and that wouldn't be completely correct...or completely wrong. I did my part, but I stop short of convincing someone else to see my views. I'm speaking of me, no one else. In this day and age, you cannot help but be aware if you are even marginally paying attention. Trying to convince me will only result in me digging in...I'll make my own decision. I won't be cast as a villain because of who/what I voted for.

$.02 deposited.
By BigCliff
Da Ax wrote:So you are OK with those living in population centers making decisions for the rest of the population?
I'm more ok with that than I am with a rural minority having outsized influence on the country as a whole. Why should the vote of a rural person count more than the vote of an urban person?

Check this out:

Each person voting in Wyoming has over 3x the impact of each voter in California. In TEN OTHER STATES, each voter has at least 2x the impact of a California voter.

How is that fair?
By Spudnik
American history is hard.

Nobody was ever supposed to get the majority of EC votes and the people were never actually meant to elect a president. Otherwise, we'd had God-damned Hillary. The EC is in place so that the House would choose the pres and the world wouldn't implode.

Blame the 45% or whatever the fuck it is who didn't vote for this shit being the way it is. We could've prevented an EC majority, people's heads would have burst, and something meaningful might have actually gotten done.
By Spudnik
Interesting video Bob, and it addresses how the electoral college is practically valuable in today's two party system. It didn't, however, address the fact that we really were never meant to devolve into a two-party system.
By Bobwhite
Spudnik wrote:Interesting video Bob, and it addresses how the electoral college is practically valuable in today's two party system. It didn't, however, address the fact that we really were never meant to devolve into a two-party system.
Agreed...
By Willi
Seems to me that if we did evolve into a true multiparty party system with a number of competitive parties there would be some SIGNIFICANT problems with the way things are now set up. If the varied parties were truly competitive, the House of Reps would be choosing every one of our Presidents and the Senate would be choosing our VP.

Willi
By FormerlyChaseChrome
Electoral College was instituted to "protect" the "interests" of the slave-owning states...

That's all anyone really needs to know
Hmmmmmm

Ferit or againit
Nufence
By FormerlyChaseChrome
ChaseChrome wrote:Electoral College was instituted to "protect" the "interests" of the slave-owning states...

Hmmmmmm

Ferit or againit
Nufence

everybody quietly looking down at their shoes...
By Plow
ChaseChrome wrote:
ChaseChrome wrote:Electoral College was instituted to "protect" the "interests" of the slave-owning states...

Hmmmmmm

Ferit or againit
Nufence

everybody quietly looking down at their shoes...
Thankfully, it proved to be highly ineffectual at that...yet it's still around, Hmmmmmmmmmm
Now run along and shovel some snow, it time to make Canada great...

Hot Creek... Needs more cosplay...

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Dessie Paul’s Mayfly https://live.stat[…]

Impeachment pool

teflon don, teflon shawn. I give a fuck. where's […]

Thanks, Honyuker! Now, about that addy? And where[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine