Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
[report]I bought 5 sets of crab traps in October after my long time fishing buddy told me about a nearby Dungeness crab fishery. I told my wife that I plan on getting some crabs as part of the Thanksgiving dinner to justify the considerable $$ spent on the damn traps.
Thanksgiving came and went and the traps and associated accessories remained in the shipping boxes in the garage. No motivation, no knowledge, scared of the ocean, etc….and the list of excuses goes on. Then a couple of weeks ago my buddy calls me up
“dude, you need to get your shit out here. Crabbing is off the hooks!”
“Uh, damn, I really want to go man, but I don’t know what I’m doing…”
“Fine, I’ll send you a map with waypoints. And I’m just a phone call away if you have any other questions. And grow some balls and just launch your shit already. The ocean ain’t that scary.”
Fuck it. I got no more excuses. Just do it to it:

Got three trips under my belt so far: first trip with my bud, second one with the kid as a deckhand and last one with my brother. It went something like this:

We got our feast on:

And pluck the meat out of whatever is left, which is plenty:

Put some in the freezer for future consumption.
Like a crab omelet for breakfast:
And the wife says we’re running low on crab meat so I guess I’ll have to go out and get some more.
Such is life.[/report]
Last edited by cornholio on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Redchaser
Awesome dude. Down here we have blue crab, and you can run traps for them but that requires spending money on traps, getting a gear license etc. Fortunately blue crabs instinct to feed is stronger than their flight instinct so we can just tie a chicken neck on the end of a string, throw it out and wait for it to pull tight. When it goes tight you slowly pull it in and use a dipnet to scoop the crab that will be holding onto the chicken neck.... unless it's an alligator because sometimes they will grab your chicken neck too.
By yard4sale
Great job stepping out of your comfort zone. Looks like you were well rewarded.
By fatman
fuk yeah :smile

for the record, MtGrayling bakes a mean crab pizza
By 421sd
Solid stuff Cornholio!
Redchaser wrote:Awesome dude. Down here we have blue crab, and you can run traps for them but that requires spending money on traps, getting a gear license etc. Fortunately blue crabs instinct to feed is stronger than their flight instinct so we can just tie a chicken neck on the end of a string, throw it out and wait for it to pull tight. When it goes tight you slowly pull it in and use a dipnet to scoop the crab that will be holding onto the chicken neck.... unless it's an alligator because sometimes they will grab your chicken neck too.
We did this on our Family Vaca at Gulf Shores this year. What we caught was barely legal buy mighty tasty!
Cleaned.jpg
Cleaned.jpg (198.8 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Seefood.jpg
Seefood.jpg (860.2 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
By SLSS
Damn that looks like a fun time.

I watched a young couple throwing a pot off a dock a couple hundred miles north of you. Abut very 10 minutes they'd pull it up and pluck half a dozen crabs, about 1/2 legal. They had a good start on a cooler full. Told me they came down once a month and had all they could eat.
By Kfoxwyo
Good lord that all looks delicious. Way to step up- And good on ya for teaching the kid a skill!

Red, growing up in Md. we did the same thing as a kid, I remember some odd "red tide" off shore and it pushed all the shell fish and fish to the causeway, we literally scooped the blue crab up by the net full. Summer season sweet corn and blue crab...I really respect my family making making time and finding the $$ to do so-

I just need to figure out how to get ms. Connie to boil up a pot next nov.!
By austrotard
only a mexican would have crab attached to fried chicken.
fingie lickin.jpg
fingie lickin.jpg (163.46 KiB) Viewed 4841 times

and I'd bet your brother can pronounce balvenie.

:cool

topical: the cure for crabs is caster sugar.
By Willi
Redchaser wrote:Awesome dude. Down here we have blue crab, and you can run traps for them but that requires spending money on traps, getting a gear license etc. Fortunately blue crabs instinct to feed is stronger than their flight instinct so we can just tie a chicken neck on the end of a string, throw it out and wait for it to pull tight. When it goes tight you slowly pull it in and use a dipnet to scoop the crab that will be holding onto the chicken neck.... unless it's an alligator because sometimes they will grab your chicken neck too.
I agree with the work involved with tending traps. But the chicken necks on a line sounds fun. Similar to how we used to catch crawdads as a kid. We usually used a hunk of bacon.

Willi
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

that doesn't dye away from photos and you fucking […]

WTF, Hieronymus

He’s too busy on the run from Sasquatch afte[…]

A Confession

okay, I got a good one. jose, mars and kyle get o[…]

Does anyone want to do a Pike/Muskie swap?

sorry. I thought we were playing nazi tennis.

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine