kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
I’m a noob when it comes to tying dries and I’ve tried all sorts of different techniques but when I get to the end of the hook and want to tie my hackle off I have a bunch of fibers that are falling forward and it’s impossible to tie the hackle off without them all getting caught and creating an ugly mess.

I’m stripping or trimming the hackles at the end of the feather off and tying the bare quill to the hook shank shiny side up. I leave a little bit of bare quill so that the fibers stand up right on the first full turn, and everything seems fine until I make a few full turns and then the fibers start falling forward.

Thanks for any advice.
Reknirt wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:02 pm I’m a noob when it comes to tying dries and I’ve tried all sorts of different techniques but when I get to the end of the hook and want to tie my hackle off I have a bunch of fibers that are falling forward and it’s impossible to tie the hackle off without them all getting caught and creating an ugly mess.

I’m stripping or trimming the hackles at the end of the feather off and tying the bare quill to the hook shank shiny side up. I leave a little bit of bare quill so that the fibers stand up right on the first full turn, and everything seems fine until I make a few full turns and then the fibers start falling forward.

Thanks for any advice.
Have you tried taking a match or lighter to everything?
Reknirt, A good way to prevent this is to strip or burn one side of the hackle. With fibers on both sides of the quill, the side facing the hook shank causes resistance when being wrapped and causes the feather to twist. As you get to the finer part of the quill it will twist easier.

Another good way to keep a good thread head is to use a cauterizer to burn off any fibers before tying off. Also fold back all the fibers your first few wraps as you tie off the feather, the more wraps of thread you put on the harder it is to fold them back.

Tight Loops
SightCast wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 am Reknirt, A good way to prevent this is to strip or burn one side of the hackle. With fibers on both sides of the quill, the side facing the hook shank causes resistance when being wrapped and causes the feather to twist. As you get to the finer part of the quill it will twist easier.

Another good way to keep a good thread head is to use a cauterizer to burn off any fibers before tying off. Also fold back all the fibers your first few wraps as you tie off the feather, the more wraps of thread you put on the harder it is to fold them back.

Tight Loops
I appreciate it your help, tough crowd around here.
Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

Where are my fucking flies you gd degenerates? I[…]

come hell or high water tr

Good year SFB. Thanks for all you do for us on t[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Denson’s Black Pearl Dabbler https://l[…]

perhaps we need to revisit the paparazzi thread...

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine