This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.

There’s a small spring fed creek here in West Ky that empties into a large reservoir that used to be the Cumberland River. My grandfather took me with him 40 plus years ago to wade the streams and fish and pick up crawfish and fossils and arrowheads. We visited several streams each summer and I loved the time with him and the beauty of these places. Every year in the heat of the summer I try to take a day or two to go “ Creekin” and talk with his memory and reflect on all of the things he taught me.
Today was one of those days . Despite a torn ACL and 100 plus degree heat index I took the chance and hiked 1.5 miles in to check out a stream that I hoped would be familiar.
These rural West Ky counties are full of history and character. As I age and become more contemplative I find it weird how so many folks take a tremendous amount of pride in a lost cause. I guess it’s no different today as I pass yard signs and flags that stand as testaments to ones loyalty. I don’t really give a dam about either side and just want to be free to fish and enjoy the cool spring fed waters.
One thing I’ve noticed the last ten or so years is the scarcity of crawfish in these streams. Being in a heavy agriculture region I can only guess that herbicide and pesticide residue has critically impacted our streams. The good news is there was plenty of baitfish and the ones I caught were all healthy.
It was a good day and I enjoyed the conversation.

See ya next year PaPete !
By fallen513
That's real nice Brett.
Thanks.
By McH
Thanks for the tour!
cool rock or was it a cannon ball??

:cool
First thought was cannonball.

The geologist in me recognizes that it would take centuries and centuries to tumble it into its spherical shape.

Cool rock though and it rolls down the hall on the hardwood floors very well.
By fly-chucker
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:57 am First thought was cannonball.

The geologist in me recognizes that it would take centuries and centuries to tumble it into its spherical shape.

Cool rock though and it rolls down the hall on the hardwood floors very well.
Hillbilly bowling ball?
The return of Stolen Hours

#91 80 degrees, mostly sunny I went back for […]

Raffa’s Got a New Gig

I love IF. There is a gas station just east that s[…]

A Quikie

Most excellent. :cool BTW Pete's just big-boned[…]

mitch drags roy to italy and wales

poured :cool

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine