This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By woolly bugger

didn't think I'd go today -- fear of crowds... made a short trip anyway...

not too many out -- fished the same run with great success, moved on up and the bite turned off... idk, water looked fishy to me..

a fly and spin guy low holed me, unable to go back down to the honey hole, I tried the water upstream without success.
By woolly bugger

80 degrees, Gas $2.74

After taking care of the morning chores, I headed up the road listening to another podcast.

I went back up top to the deep productive run that I've fished before, but this time I had fleece pants.

The river must have been pounded on the 4th, not too many fish were caught so I moved on down and fished some new water for a while.

After catching a couple more, I put up the euro rod, took off the fleece and headed further on down. There was one car in the lot, so I didn't walk the tracks and went on into the usual spot.

It was now around 4 o'clock and there were enough sulfurs popping off to get some of the fish excited. I sat on the bank, drank a beer, and studied them for a while.

I couldn't stand it any longer and headed out to catch one. On the second cast it took the comparadun.

I caught a good number of the pune brown trout and also would have had enough footage for an extensive bleeping video if I had the gopro with me.

The otters were out at the head of the pool and were joined by a great blue heron as woodpeckers called in the distance. I took a dinner break.

Then it was back to catching more on the surface as the sulfurs sailed on down the river.

An angler was approaching from downstream, and I worked the run up against the bank on the far side. There were several fish rising and I managed to bleep three. I continued to work the run and also kept a eye on the guy below me. He took a spill in a thigh deep run but bounced right back up.

I worked the run for twenty minutes and finally hooked a fish.

The other guy had was walking in behind me and I turned and recognized John from chapel hill who fishes bamboo. We talked for a while as I was finished for the day. He went up to fish some more and I walked out.

There in the lot was a Pretentious Snobby Bastard...

By woolly bugger

90+ degrees, sunny.

Gas – tomorrow…

In the heat of the day, I drove up to the river. There in the lot, off to the side, was a white Chevy Volt, the aborted Detroit hybrid auto. I geared up and headed down the tracks, I questioned my sanity and my choice of wearing waders, I knew I would be in waist deep water most of the afternoon and I didn’t know how late I would stay. The rail bed baked in the sun, and it felt like an oven. The only relief on the mile long trek was a brief spot of shade on the curve before the long straight stretch. The rails shimmered as heat waves rose from the tracks.

There were bugs in the air and fish rising. I set the euro rod down and fished the comparadun that was rigged on the Sage SP. It went something like this…

The shade of the trees led to the cool air by the river, but with no shade on the water, I pulled up my buff for protection from another high uv day.

I took a break from the sun and heat

I picked up the euro rod and caught one fish…

Then it was back to dry fly fishing for the rest of the day.

The fog began to appear in the evening and whisps of the mist obscured the view from time to time making it difficult to clears see the fish rising distance.

I was pretty much done by 6:30 even though it appeared that the bugs were really starting to come off I didn’t want to get home too late. I decided that I would return tomorrow a bit later in the day and stay until the sun went down.

The walk out was cooler, and I stayed on the shady side.

Back in the lot, the Volt fisherman was putting away his gear and came over to talk. He looked a lot like my friend, Fred, but is from Chapel Hill, He fished the upper reach across the field where I usually go and had a pretty good day too. We talked about his vehicle and the future of electric vehicles for a while, his other car is a bio diesel jeep, go figure on that one…

Until tomorrow...
By woolly bugger

Boats and Bugs

Gas $2.79 85+ degrees, slight overcast to sunny

Dougfish text asking when I was going back to the river, “Tomorrow!” was my reply…

I said I was going to go in late and stay until o’dark thirty to see what the evening rise looked like. When I left the other day, it looked like things were just starting to get underway.

Doug arrived before me and had hiked in, I geared up in the lot and waited for the train to pass before marching down the tracks, it was a bit cooler today and there was a little more shade on the hike in.

As I approached the path to the river, I could hear kayakers yahooing and playing their boom box. I was hoping that they would have gone by when I got to the water, but I found them having a party at the head of the run.

They finally left and dougfish came up from down below and headed up to the top of the run and caught a few.

We fished and drank beer and enjoyed the evening until a raft came through and anchored up on top of the run. I tried to wade up into a blocking position before they got there, but I ran out of freeboard on my pant waders and retreated to shallower waters as the raft moved into position

I caught a few fish too, and they looked especially pretty in the evening light.

More kayakers came on through as the evening fog crept up the river in cool whisps.

Things shut down by eight and we poured it sip and headed out.

By woolly bugger

I’ve been telling the Slimyhooker that the sulfurs were still coming off the river in the evening.

Elsa had stayed to the south and the damn dam had not changed its release and we both decided to go up in the afternoon, we both encountered thunderstorms on the drive, but radar indicated that they were staying south and east of our destination.

I arrived at my usual spot before the Slimyhooker and he was waffling about which section to fish, but decided to join me instead of parking at the downstream sketchy meth lot.

Fish were rising when I got on the water but kayakers banged through as I was drinking my cool off beer. That put the fish down for a while. I got back on the water and missed a few fish. The Slimyhooker arrived and being a bit smarter than I, had carried his waders in his pack, instead of hiking down the track in the scorching sun like I’ve done the past four times.

We worked the picky fish and he explored on down river.

I heard a boat motor upstream but couldn’t see it in the glare. Then to my surprise, two motorized kayaks drove right through the run I was fishing, “What the fuck!” I muttered as they passed.

As the evening wore on, the bugs started popping in numbers that got the fish to rise and the catching began.

After 8, it totally switched off and we hiked out around 8:30.

It was another grand day on the river.

Bleepin' my life away...

By woolly bugger
Gas $2.79 Temps in the upper 80s, occasional clouds and a bit of rain.

The river was calling me, I tied up a couple of #16 comparaduns, and headed off in the early afternoon.

I went in up top with the euro and struggled to catch a fish. I missed some bumps and one unbuttoned. As I was working the run, I heard someone calling, “Sir, sir… “ I couldn’t hear the rest over the water, so,I turned in the direction of the voice, and just as I did a fish hit, but of course I was in no position to set the hook and it got off. WTF, does this guy want, I thought. “Can’t hear you”, I hollered. “Where did you get the rod rack in your car?”, “On the internet….” , geeze.  p;-

There were sulfurs on the water, and I saw a couple of fish rise. So after working the run twice I retrieved the dry fly rod from the car. First cast up the run, which is about 4-5 feet deep, a nice fish whacked the fly. It was a heavy fish, but I may have played it to hard, and the fly popped out. I caught a couple more smaller fish and while bringing them in I noticed a large trout chasing after it in the deep water.

An Osprey and a fighter jet roared up the valley and I clicked off a few shots, got the slower Osprey, but missed the low flying jet.

Browns on the dry fly!

The SRO raft was putting in at 3 o’clock and I asked EJ what time he expected to be at the pool downstream as I was planning to be there around 5, he replied that since it was late, he would be blowing through and would fish around me if necessary. He asked my name, I in a slip of judgement, I replied. <-;:

I drove to the lot and hiked the rails carrying both rods. Despite fish rising I nymphed the head off the run and caught a couple of nice fish. Hooked and broke off a better fish on the 6x. Oh snap!

And then it was dry fly fishing for the rest of the evening. A few fish came to hand but as the evening wore on the fish refused almost all of my offerings.

Things shut down by eight and I hiked out on failing felts… I don’t think these are two years old and haven’t been used all that much.

time for some barge cement  d:b  ….
By woolly bugger

July 16, 2021

Gas $2.89 Partly cloudy, 90 degrees.

I inspected my boot and threw them away after giving SIMMS more of my money. The new boots won’t arrive for a while, so I scrounged through my collection of old retired boots and selected a pair in reasonable condition for the conditions.

So, I tried to head out a little earlier than usual and I was clear across town and headed north when I realized that I had forgotten to change and was wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt. So, I turned around and that cost me 40 minutes. I would still arrive at the river around noon.

Tom Kept me company most of the way as I listened to troubling news about the mysterious decline of brown trout in the rivers of Montana.

I went to the upper reach and scouted some other spots I’ll try in the future. I was hoping for rising fish. I nymphed instead. Only bringing a few to hand, I moved on down to the lower section.

There was a truck parked in the lot and I was concerned about making the hike in with two rods, worried that I wouldn’t get my favorite spot, but went on down the tracks with the afternoon sun beating down. The railbed emanating heat like a bed of coals, the shimmering air above tracks distorted the view like a mirage. I marched on, head down, looking for the markers of progress, the transducer with its blue cover marks the beginning on the long straightaway, a discarded Tums container marks the mid-point of the straight, at the beginning of the s curve the sonorous flow of the river reaches your ears, then the pile of discarded buckets as the tracks begin the curve back to the trestle, it won’t be long now, and I look up and see that I have arrived at the trail that will take me to the river.

My beer of the day was a Sam Adams lager, which is best served ice cold, so I carried in a little soft side with my snack and beverages on ice. I had another beer escape from under a rock the other day, so the cooler may be the new normal for me...

I took the euro rod up to the head of the run and fished the deep pockets and worked my way down a way catching rainbows and browns before heading back to my stash for a cold beer and the dry fly rod.

I broke open a case caddis to check on the color.

When I entered the pool, I didn’t see anybody else, but after a while a saw a guy working his way upstream, he was working the water methodically and it took a while for him to get within earshot. “Which way are you fishing”, he cried out. “I’m just working this pool”, I declared. “I’ll just head up around to above the next set of rocks”, he replied. We talked for a spell about the river and the fishing and the damn dam. He was down at the island in the morning are reported a decent hatch and dry fly action. I invited him to fish the pool with me, but he declined and bushwhacked around me. Now that is etiquette! 

Picking up my rod I put on a new leader and tied on a #16 compradun that I had tied last night. I cast to rising fish and missed three before bringing one to hand. I was pleased that my fly tie was working.

This fish is really pretty I just love the par marks and he deep rich colors.

And it was a good match for the naturals.

The catching was good, but they began to get selective as the hatch wore on and the number of refusals was maddening. I switched to a puff daddy and caught a few more.

I was taking another break when SRO showed up, I didn’t have time to get back up to the head of the run before they came through and anchored up. Not sure if they caught any, if they did, I didn’t see it happen.

This guy came to visit as I finished my beer.

I was time for me to leave, I wanted to stay a bit longer but had some end of day obligations to take care of at home.

I was going to sticker the guy's truck, but he was gone when I got back, maybe he stopped after the SRO raft came through.

By woolly bugger
I've missed my "local" and will continue to pound her day after day. Those little browns are scrappy fighters. I caught one at the head of the run and I was sure it was going to be the fish of the day, but when I finally got it to net it was one of the smallest.

July 18, 2021

82 degrees with scattered thunderstorms

Gas tomorrow.

The weather was iffy, thunderstorms in the forecast, but the radar looked clear as I headed up the road.
It was cooler but extremely humid and the air was thick with tension as I geared up. Thunder began to boom over the ridge and I checked the radar again. It looked like the storm would stay to the south, but I packed my rain jacket.

The far bank of the river was obscured by the fog on the water. There was a fair stain in the water despite that the flow from the creeks was back down to normal.

I nymphed up a handful of fish and then switched over to dries.

I caught another handful and then worked the picky fish at the top of the run. I caught a couple but they mostly refused my offerings. I’ve got some ideas, but my fly box doesn’t run that deep, so I’m going to have to tie up some new and perhaps smaller emerges to fool these fish. I didn’t bring the goPro, but if I did there would have been another bleeping video, “The Director’s Cut!”

The storms stayed south but thunder was a constant reminder that things could change quickly. Several kayakers passed through and then it started to rain. It was chilly on the water now and I put on my jacket for warmth as much as protection from the rain. I fished on for a while and then took a beer break, I noticed a fish rising across the way and waded out after it. First cast and fish on, maybe I don’t suk after all…

I dredged up this tangle of line along with a fly along with a fish.

By woolly bugger

No change noted on the gauges, so I took the afternoon off and went back to my old favorite spot.

I euroed up a nice brown on the first cast. It came to the net and I paused to reset my grip and the fish got away. I caught a good handful before slipping and getting a bit wet. Fish were rising like I hadn’t seen a quite a while, so I switched to the dry fly rod and began catching at least a dozen on the surface. No so picky up here, that’s for sure. I left at 6:30 with fish still rising.

By woolly bugger

Gas $2.85
Hazy sky, temps in the low 80s

AT 3:30 I was the only car in the lot, I packed up a snad and some beer in the soft side, rigged the euro and headed down the tracks.

I did NOT borrow these boots from Dougfish! New G3s coming in Thursday...

Had to jump off as a train maintenance vehicle came up the tracks. First time that's happened this year. I was 7/10 of mile in when I realized that I had left the cooler back at the car and I BLEEPED myself. I would have to survive on the bottle of water in my vest.

Blue tailed skink on the tracks.

Euroed up some fish, too bad they weren't browns...

Note: I just realized that I caught the same bow twice, twelve minutes apart.

Switched over to dry fly fishing and caught a few browns. they are becoming increasingly selective add the hatch is diminishing over the weeks. Towards the end I would work a fish for quite a while and finally get it to rise but miss the hookset or get a refusal.

Need to tie up some puffers.. Got a few swinging a soft hackle. Left early to get a beer and my dinner.

By woolly bugger

I think this was my third day in a row. I didn't need to go fishing but knew that Thursday was out, so I decided to "go have a beer with Doug" Since I was down low yesterday, I went high. Euroed up some nice fish, flubbed both fish and photos using the iPhone as the TG was left on the fly-tying bench. Scorcher of a walk in but the chilly water always felt great after that hike in.

Raft alert! I was taking a beer break as they parked on my run, I don't think they even noticed me as I was standing under a tree close to the bank. The SmithFly Trout Bros has a few yehaw, fist bumping, moments when they nymphed up a couple of trouts after flailing away with bobbers while ignoring the rising fish.

Fish were caught, beer was drunk, lies were told.

It was good to see Doug again!  :cool

By woolly bugger
hot and sunny with a bit of haze.

A familiar looking Tacoma was in the parking lot. After rigging up the euro rod, I geared up with my new G3 boots and headed on down the tracks in the heat of the day. When I got to the water, I grabbed a beer and waited in waist deep to cool off.

I watch the water is a drink my beer I didn't see much activity. There were only a few sulphurs floating on the water and I saw one or two fish rise. I decided to nymph the head of the run first while I waited for the evening hatch.

My first cast picked up a small rainbow and I thought it was going to be an epic day.

I struggled to find another fish for quite a while, so I decided to explore some new water, and moved up above to the next run.

I could see the other angler coming up the river, so I decided to head on back down. It was the same guy I had met on the river a week or so ago and we talked for a while, his name is Nate and he is from Fuquay-Varina, and he's been on the water since 8. I invited him to fish my pool but he declined and moved on up ahead. I drank a beer and waited for the sulphurs to start popping off.

The Hatch was mediocre at best and the fish were not cooperative, but a few took the dry fly.

Still wating for the hatch to get underway, I took another break for my dinner, Patagonia Spanish Paprika Mackerel; “Slow-cooked onion, red bell pepper, garlic and paprika wild Atlantic mackerel rich in flavor with a hint of heat.”

Then it was back to work the few selective risers. Some were taking sulfur duns, but others were hitting some unknown subsurface emerger. I missed a lot and caught a few, enough to be satisfied as the evening drew to a close and the fish activity diminished.

On the way out i almost got tea bagged by a tree …

Pawpaw: Small Tree, Big Impact (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)
https://www.nps.gov/articles/pawpaw.htm

Most likely I'll be back at it on Monday... jis say'in
Friday Cheer Through Pics

Fall Dreams, Final (for now) Edition The first goo[…]

Best day of my life TR

Congrats, beautiful bride, beautiful country, beau[…]

Unlimited Bronze Backs

Pig !

Unlimited Almost a TR thread

Good shit Joe! Looks like another fine outing to […]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine