This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By woolly bugger

88 degrees, gas $2.99 or $3.99 if you start pumping the hi-test

One thing lead to another and I was late leaving, I got all the was across town, twenty minutes, before I realized there were no rods in the car. Almost canceled, but I hadn’t been fishing in a week.

Dougfish was coming out as I went in.

I drank The Oktoberfest while I studied the water.

I was thinking that I would have to nymph, but then I saw a fish rise. I went after it. Second cast.

More fish were caught on the surface, most were small but a couple were above average.

I was just enjoying being back on the water, listening to the birds and the water as the sun set and the heat of the day faded into the darkening sky.

By woolly bugger

85 cloudy

got to the river earlier than yesterday. Thought about going down river a ways, but decided to go across the field again.

this Asheville brew is very tasty, malty with a hint of honey sweetness and a clean finish, one of my top American Oktoberfest beers so far.

I spied some caddis dancing on the water and saw a couple of trout nab them as they fluttered on the surface. I went after them, got a couple to rise but failed to connect and put them all down. I went to the pool and tried to nymph up a fish when I noticed an interloper coming downstream fishing the water I planned to hit a bit later in the afternoon. He was tossing streamers but I didn't see him hookup.

It was John whom I've met several times before. I switched back to dries and brought a few punes to hand.

Sulfurs were still around although not in any significant numbers.  Midges, bwo and caddis made up the majority of the sparce hatch.

John moved on down and disappeared into the evening fog, I was alone once more. The dry fly bite wasn't happening so I went back to nyphing and stuck a few more before the sun set.

there is a hint of color in the trees and fall isn't far away.
By woolly bugger

With cooler water temperatures and  a cloudy morning I hit some lower river spots. Nymphing away I brought some browns to hand and as I worked my way across to the far side I hit pockets of chub all of which had full bellies. It was about 50/50 ratio of trout to chub. I moved on down a ways and caught a few more trout.

Down at a deep run I hooked a good fish and played it against the fast current, I got a glimpse of its size before the tippet broke at a suspect knot which I had retied earlier. I continued to work that water and hooked a small chub and as I was pulling it in a large brown, possibly the one I hooked earlier, took a swipe at the chub.

I cast to that area and hooked that trout.

Plenty of PawPaws, but not quite ripe.

The sun was out now and the day was warming up, so I headed up river to colder water. But took a fugacious break with some old world flavor, a Spaten Oktoberfest, the original. Very tasty and smooth, malty and aromatic with a clean finish.

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly in solitude, and I was packing it in when the phone rang. It was Devvisdad inquiring about my planned attendance at the Fall PFF. Prior to Delta I was certain to go, the new variant had given me pause, but I was still planning to go. He recruited me to cook on Saturday night. Yo’ Mama’s Red Beans and Rice!

What’s going on here?

By woolly bugger

hot and humid with some clouds 86 degrees

I started listening to the radio and I was in Stokesdale when I realized that I had left my phone at home. This is the first time in decades that I’ve traveled without it. There was a bit of withdrawal but I managed. I was going to start listening to a new book, Hillbilly Elegy.

One car in the lot and the sun was too hot to even think about hiking into the lower spots. It felt good to get to the cold water and some shade. This Radar Oktoberfest from a local brewery is spot on with a malty flavor and smooth finish with a hint of hops bitterness.

[left]Notes on Oktoberfest beers:

Oktoberfest Biers have been reclassified into Style 4B Festbier in Category 4 Pale Malty European Lager which contains malty, pale, Pilsner malt-driven German lagers of vollbier to starkbier strength. While malty, they are still well-attenuated, clean lagers, as are most German beers.

The Oktoberfest beer style is no longer only brewed in the spring. Today, they can be brewed any time the brewer wants.
They are no longer aged for 6 months like they once were. To age a beer that long would be an expensive proposition for a brewery these days.

If the beer has the name “Oktoberfest” on the label, it is now aged for 12-16 weeks. If the beer is only called a Märzen, it only has to be aged for 6-8 weeks.

There are other amber lagers that have their own style designation and aren’t grouped in the European Amber Lager category, the bocks for example.[/left]

The river was quiet, no activity save for birds chirping. I struggled to find fish willing to be hooked. I lost some flies and spent time retying tippet and flies.

Got caught in a shower without a rain jacket for the first time in years. It cooled things off and the fog rolled in after the rain stopped cooling the air.

A handful of fish were caught.

I stopped fishing and took photos for the rest of the evening.

By woolly bugger
Short trip, partly sunny, cooler day

Drove up to watch Dougfish work a run, just to see how another angler would approach this section. I arrived late and he was moving on. I was wearing my brand spanking new Guide Pants for the first time, and when I reached the run I realized that I should have been wearing chesties, I couldn’t cover all the water but I did connect with a couple that Dougfish had missed.

Listened to Hillbilly Elegy on the drive. Interesting story and gives insight to how weapons could be drawn at a baby shower.
By woolly bugger
Civil War Maps from the Army Corps of Engineers Now Digitized

Below is a sketch of the Battle Field of Young’s Branch, or Manassa Plains fought on July 21, 1861 showing Federal and Confederate infantry and artillery positions:

https://unwritten-record.blogs.archives ... digitized/

#88 Gas $2.95 clear blue skies 72 degrees

Railroad has been patrolling the tracks. New No Trespassing signs places.
not.jpeg
not.jpeg (154.67 KiB) Viewed 433 times
I don't remember ever seeing a sign in the 30 years I've fished there.

I did a bit of trail maintenance today. Stopped short of the creek. I lost the trail where a little branch comes in. It looked like the trail either went right along the bank or turned in a bit. I was done at that point as I wanted to fish a bit.

Caught a few fish and called it a day.
By woolly bugger

I'm loving the cooler weather. Hit the river a bit earlier than usual, shorter days...

this rainbow looks very clean...

not too many browns came out to play.

Hooked and played a big fish for a while, thought I had it under control. It was fighting the current in a fast run and I was thinking it might be about time to reach for the net. The fish thought otherwise and bolted downstream snapping the 6x. I thought it might have been a knot issues but close inspection revealed the tippet broken mid point. Don't know if it had been nicked.

this was the consolation fish, it wasn't very cooperative in posing for the photo.

I read creaky'a report, I tried the dry fly game. It was slow but I made a connection.

I've been listening to Jim Harrison's Brown Dog, I read it a few years back, but it's good company on the road.
By woolly bugger

gas $2.95 partly cloudy, 78 degrees

With the cooler nights I started thinking about brookies and J&D's report inspired me along with Brown Dog's tale of catching a 3 lb brookie up in the UP. So I grabbed the 2 wt and headed up the road for the afternoon.

It was good to be back wet wading up this creek. Lots of small fish, really small, a few of the larger ones (7-8") wriggled off the barbless hook,

There was something in their report about things shutting down in the afternoon... perhaps I started too low, and didn't go high enough, maybe I was fishing behind someone, maybe listening to Brown Dog had me thinking about booze and pussy, anyway, this trip was a bust on the catching side of things. My sure thing spots didn't produce or that tungsten dropper snagged the bottom and spooked my quarry 

a few were bigger, most were smaller

this find saddened me, but I felt the strong medicine of the birds spirit

a walk through the campsite -- I guess that they didn't care for the reviews of the book they were reading, or needed fire starter, or were just lightening the load.

new rock stacking phenomenon

winter is coming
By woolly bugger

80 degrees, mostly sunny

I went back for one fish, the one that broke me off the other day and to get my fix of Brown Dog also knowing that I won't be able to fish on Thursday.

I passed over a lot of opportunities and headed directly to the spot, with a freshly tied rid.

Nothing! Nada! Nobody home!

I moved on down. Found some fish.

Repaired the tippet.

Looked up.

Looked down.

Moved around.

Enjoyed the solitude and sounds of the river in the evening.

Snapped a few more pics.

and got back in the car with Brown Dog for the ride home.
By woolly bugger

80 degrees partly cloudy.

I could have stopped after catching this fish. After struggling and failing to hook a fish working a different run, which I’m puzzled by at the current flows, I moved on down to the usual spot. The bugs are gone and I’m starting to think sink tips and streamers. I had hiked in on the trail and stopped at the first rapid past the creek, sliding down the steep bank, I’ll worry about climbing out later. After about 30 minutes, losing flies and retying leader I headed to where I thought I got in. Nope, not there, couldn’t find my red cooler on the bank, I had passed it and had to double back, but when I tried to climb that bank I realized that I would have to find an easier slope to get out. Down at the usual while working the run I noticed an angler upstream at the spot where the tiny branch comes in. There was another person hiking down the trail. People! :gun

Not the best images of this fish but I was having a photo fish flub day.

The couple had hiked in below me and were headed on to the big hole. The man was fishing, the women was carrying a rod, but I never saw her cast, come to think of it, I once saw the man switch rods with her and continued fishing with that rod. She didn’t’ look comfortable wading. Later in the evening as they were coming back upstream, I thought that they might pass by and get on the trail, and I was going to ask  them how they had done, but they must have cut up to the tracks.

The browns look like they are coloring up and caught a good number during the afternoon.

The Leinenkugel Oktoberfest is crisp and light, drinkable but not inspiring. Thin and watery with a malty bread aroma. 

Back at the lot I met the Audi driver with the euro tag “24 BWO 8X”, he’s from High Point and has been fishing the river for 35 years, “I’ve seen it all”, he stated, when I asked how long he had been fishing the river. He was wet wading and likes to fish the flat water behind the field. With the higher flows, he’s now switched to 7x. He also remarked that he had seen the couple and that the women didn’t look comfortable on the hike in. What was it that Mudwall said about taking wives and girlfriends fishing?

I stopped for my mackerel dinner on the way home.

Forgot to mention that I may have underestimated my trail blazing ability, as much as I thought I whacked, the lower part of the trial, which twist and turns isn't as discernable as I thought. It could still use some more machete work. :smile

Also finished listening to Brown Dog and went back to The Orvis Fly-Fishing Podcast for my drive.
By woolly bugger

75  and cloudy until I started hiking in, then the sun came out and it heated up with the humidity approaching 90%

I told dougfish that the next time they dropped the flow I would go in and cut out the snag that was blocking the run at the head of the pool. I didn't think the fishing would be good but I rigged up the euro for the hike in. this was a mistake. It ended up a tangled mess that had to be cut off and rigged again. I whacked here and there on the first leg and then worked harder on the last section of the trail. I veered off my trail and cut away before relocating the proper trail.

I had planned to fish before tackling the snag, but since I had to redo the rig I went ahead and waded into the head of the pool. With only a small folding hand saw I was able to cut just enough off to clear the chute, which will open it back up for fishing and kayaks too.

With my chore done, I had a beer and then rigged up the rod, going to the top of the pool and hooking a nice fish in the now open run.

The low flow had me puzzled as some productive spots now looked like frog water. But some spots were productive.

I went up a ways and then back down to the lower pool. I wouldn't say that it was on fire, but fish were caught. A train labored down the track and stopped well below me. I left at about 5:30 and trail whacked a little more on the way out. Another train came along in the same direction and passed the stopped one which was about a mile long.

Here's the photo dump.

Bear poop?

This Local brew is very drinkable, clean finish and slightly malty. Maybe a little thin on the mouthfeel, but a solid fest beir.

Plenty of bumbles doing their thing with the last of the flowers.

Whay settle for just one?

The Woolly Bugger in his natural environment.

This dragon/damsel fly popped off in front of me.

By woolly bugger
#95&96
PFF v42

South Holston River

Camping in the rain.
smoked salmon
cheep beer
DD strawbossing the bake
Good eats - Spaghetti and meatballs
craft beer
Phesant tails and spitbacks
ODG3's hugh kyped brown
three legged dog
Plum 'shine
Campfire blazing into the morning
Sausage and eggs, with gravy biscuits
Trout Crack
Staggering Red Beans and Rice
a full day of sunshine
19 showed up, 'twas good to see everybody again.

This stuff right here is what I miss about the suk[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

#116 Back to the usual beat. It’s definitely[…]

UV stuff

I gave away all my fishing books and magazines to […]

Man. Seeing as my venison stock is running low and[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine