This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
thread needs mur gods n jim
The stars have been getting to large lately,
big white loose splotches in a liquid sky.
Can i handle this jigsaw puzzle
of the universe? I'll need a thousand
dog teams and very long ropes.
There'll be no seating for the audience
they must stand in the nations back yards.
Earth will be at peace again through dog power.
The International Dog Church will be founded.
The moon will be called Holy Dog Moon,
the sun called Sun Dog
The gods are now called dogs and much happier.
Marching is permanently banished in favor of trotting.
- Jim Harrison ~ Moon Suite from Dead Man's Float
ImageImage
peetso wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:32 am This puppy I have is amazing.

I have been running her on wild birds for the past few weeks. At first with my older dog and then solo. She has required no pigeon work and no launcher birds - she knew exactly what to do straight from the get go.

We have had many, many points on huns and grouse in the past month. She is becoming confident and bold and ranging a couple hundred yards already. She scents with nose high, noticeably gets the scent sooner than my VERY experienced 9 year old griff, locks up at a reasonable distance, and doesn’t break point to flush.

I am, quite frankly, blown away. I may actually kill something over one of her points with an angry chicken before the season ends in March.
I've naturally had the quite opposite experience. The pup only knew how to do one thing properly and one thing only . . . find birds.

Everything else was shit show or rodeo.

But after plenty of pigeons and plenty of yard work, I do believe we've gotten somewhere. Steady to wing is inconsistent at best and moving birds still cause him to flush but if the bird holds so will he. A far cry from where we started.

This season we will get after it in earnest and hopefully the wild birds will learn him what I couldn't.

34143FD1-B31B-44E8-80A9-57DB0C297ED3.JPG
Keep at it. He will get there. Be careful you dont over train at this point - too much pressure causing birds to bump with no reward is a better lesson than the reward of a pigeon shot out of a launcher he is pointing 10' away (because you dont want him thinking he can put that much pressure on birds).

Mine is still doing great. Its going to be a tough season. Drought means everything has been grazed or grasses are sparse. The sharptail hatch mostly failed. Not sure of the sage grouse. There are huns around, tho.

Didnt start running her with chickens last season, but she has been doing ground work with the new one this season. No pitchers, but Ill get some. Here is one of one of my other mongrels:
birddog.jpg
birddog.jpg (149.07 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 am
Keep at it. He will get there. Be careful you dont over train at this point - too much pressure causing birds to bump with no reward is a better lesson than the reward of a pigeon shot out of a launcher he is pointing 10' away (because you dont want him thinking he can put that much pressure on birds).
Indeed. Started tapering off training the last month or so, just a couple birds here and there but no extended sessions or successive days. I've got a nice stretch of days off coming and then young Mr. Fitz will be getting schooled by wild birds for 21 days. :Roll Eyes :cheer :cool

8F276117-79A3-4C06-BF54-B9515C4FBF60.JPG
8F276117-79A3-4C06-BF54-B9515C4FBF60.JPG (163.75 KiB) Viewed 721 times
That’s solid work, Peet’s! My 16 month old Braque Francais just went with me on a DIY Hun and Sharpie trip. For the first day, she lost her mind and seemed to forget to point half the time. She steadied down some after that, and we had a lot of good hunting and shooting.
F5DEDF48-99C2-4B4C-B2E3-13CA9EE5129D.jpeg
F5DEDF48-99C2-4B4C-B2E3-13CA9EE5129D.jpeg (195.09 KiB) Viewed 687 times
The chicken has an off day today so I brought the 31lb small fry out to just run some birds. Since I didnt have chickens and everything else to focus on, I made a video.

She locked up at 180 yards out and held the point til I got there. I took my time. She broke point at the end as I closed in, que embarrassing (I kid, not embarrased at all).

Ive thought about shooting a few over her, but there is no need. Plus, I dont really want to shoot birds from coveys I plan to fly over for the next 5-6 months. Ill start flying the chicken over her this coming week.
I took the pocket pup and chicken out east for 4 days hunting. Got some great dog work in and had some good flying. Chicken knocked down a hun (as it was putting into cover, not hard enough to kill) and put some ducks back on water. He is almost there - young bird still doing young bird stuff. He is flying great, tho.

After I flew over the small fry, Id run her a while more to get bird contacts. She is a little champ. Huge motor for such a small pup. Lots of wonderful points each day on both sharptail and sage grouse. And then some hun points which I flew over. She is ranging 100's of yards and holds point til the end of time.

Here is a sharptail single, the only vidja I made:

I could feel my heart rate go down and blood press[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

#115 temp in the low 50s Gas $3.24 The rain made t[…]

Man. Seeing as my venison stock is running low and[…]

Not my circus, not my monkey- but a worthwhile cau[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine