This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By woolly bugger

Filled up on the way to PFF @$3.03, 75 degrees and cloudy

I shoulda thrown streamers, but I was confident in my nymphs. I was chasing after one fish, I did not connect.

caught some other trouts, drank a beer, it was good to be back on my home waters.

By woolly bugger

Gas $3.04 Partly cloudy, upper 70s

The river was quiet where I stood watching the undulating currents. I couldn’t hear it as it flowed. The sound of the rapids above and below drowned out the subtle gurgles in the swirls close by. Insects buzzed and a Kingfisher chattered. A redtail hawk flew overhead, the sunlight illuminating its identifying feathers. It was good to be alone on the water again.

I cast and watched, waiting for a strike, to feel the line and rod come alive with tension, connected to a trout.  It is easier to find them when they are feeding on mayflies, but the major hatches are done for the year and the trout are resting deep among the rock that offer shelter from the current.

The river appeared off color, no recent rains to blame, I figure that the lake might be beginning to turnover. The flow was just below normal, but the poor visibility made wading difficult, its more uncomfortable when you can’t see where you are placing your feet.

Fish were caught, they fought hard considering their size, they are adept at using the swift flow to their advantage. I failed to hook a trout in a favorite spot and while I was pondering my next move a large trout came completely out of the water chasing a #24 bwo as it became airborne. It rose only once. Go figure.

Fall weather is approaching and the day was pleasant, but there was a chill in the air down by the river.

Last of the Paqpaws.

Coming in I was able to follow the trial and only had to backtrack once. I've tried to mark this turn and will remember it now.

additional photo dump...

33K / year adds up...
By woolly bugger

I drove to the dam to confirm what I had suspected that the lake is turning over. I didn’t think that the nights were cool enough to state the process, but it is the middle of October.

The day was slightly overcast but temperature was approaching 80 and I worked up a good sweat walking across the field. I took no wrong turns on the way in, but I had to stop and study at a couple of points.

The shadows from the trees on the far bank now cast shadows across the river and I was able to stay cool in the shade while studying the water.

The fish were hanging close to the bottom and taking the fly ever so gently, hook sets were made on the slightest pause.

Time for a late lunch of roasted garlic mackerel with Texas Pete and a beer.

I swung flies in the late afternoon. I did find a nice fish that blew up on a Jeff Hickman’s Fish Taco intruder. I got a small brown on the swing and had another solid grab.

I worked my way back up the trail and stopped at several spots to swing the fly.

Plenty of bumbles out collecting pollen from the last of the asters.

By woolly bugger

cooler day had me thinking it was time to switch to streamers.

two cars in the lot had me concerned but they were fishing up in Sally's pool.

I had some grabs and a few fish blew up on the fly, only hooked a few on the swing. the most memorable part of the day was having a large brown trout swipe at the fly. I'll be back.

one solitary yellow drake, about size #12, floated on down, 10 feet, 20, 30, and damn if a trout didn't rise and snag it.

water may be a tad bit clearer...
By woolly bugger

Gas $3.17 67 degrees as the sun was setting.

One car in the lot, what's up with that? All of a sudden peeps be up fishing during the week. took the hike in. Looked back upstream at the creek, didn't see anybody. At the little branch I saw a dude in my run. Damn it. I jumped in and high holed him and went straight to the spot where I moved a good fish the other day. I had on a yellow Zoo Cougar. The fish swiped at the fly but didn't connect. I'll be back.

Had some grabs and connected with one as the dude was walking the bank around me. We spoke for a while, he started low in the skinny water by the field and had caught "a few" I hit the next hole and lost a couple of fish to the barbless firestick hooks that I use on a Rusty Trombone.

Gathered up my stuff that I stashed on the bank and took the trail on down. More bumps and grabs and a few that almost made it to the net.

Took a lunch break and then went on down to the next big run where I caught a number of fish and I snapped a couple of pics.

I hiked out as the sun was setting.

By woolly bugger
#102 67 degrees, bluebird skies

I was 30 minutes up the road when I reached for my phone to listen to my latest audio book, All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, oh snap! I left it on the charger at home and the camera is next to the computer where I left it yesterday. Too far down the road to turn around.

I planned switch things up today and throw streamers. I waded out to a run and got into position, stripping line off the reel. I cast and the fly began to swing and a brown trout grabbed it. "Wow, it could be a great day", I thought or a compete disaster as I may have jinxed myself. I worked the rest of that run and moved on down, I got a blow up on the fly but no connection and then at the bottom of this beat I hooked a stockbow of around 14" and that was all she wrote. I thought about moving further down but the clear bright skies had me thinking of looking for a shady run.

I moved on up near the dam and hiked in. The closer to the dam the more it was stained, it looked like tea with milk. I worked and worked the water with only one grab. I threw in the towel and headed to a spot to dewader. 24 BWO 8x, was in the lot gearing up. He was spraying OFF on his pants and explained how he got eaten up by chiggers the last time he fished here. I shared my chigger story and then I wished him good luck before I took off and headed home.

gas on the way up $3.09, same station on the way back, $3.28
By woolly bugger

I got off to a late start, almost too late to make the trip worthwhile.

I'm haunted by some fish, and I keep going back to make a connection with them. They appear to be above average, and I think I know where they are hanging out.

A pair of kingfishers patrol the river, one skimming the surface and its wingman 20 feet above, both chattering their territorial alert. The water is still turbid, a greyish green, with perhaps 18" of visibility. I don't like it. But the fish gotta eat, right? Anyone would think that streamers would be the ticket, right?

I started out nymphing just to get a few fish on the board before switching to streamers. I got a few grabs, but nobody was showing up for my tasty offering. Then I snagged a fallen tree on the far bank and decided to wade across to retrieve it after my roll cast failed to dislodge it. I made note of the depth as it was deeper than I thought, and it gave me a better look at the bottom of that run.

On up to the next several spots, they failed to produce, but I did move a fish at the fourth location. It took an immediate swipe at the fly as it hit the water, it didn't come back to look again.

I took a break and thought about going down to the bottom run as dusk approached, but the thought of wading back up gave me pause and I packed it in with the idea of revisiting a trio of spots on the hike out. I tied on a sex dungeon for the final attempts. It didn't produce.

I heard the Osprey approaching and grabbed the camera and quickly pointed it up and repeatedly pressed the shutter button in an attempt to capture the image as they flew overhead. 

By woolly bugger

Sunny, 70s

I usually don't go on the weekends, other things occupy my time, but I had no plans for Sunday and it looks like Monday could turn to shit.

Still thinking streamers, I broke out the 6 wt and a 30 foot tip. I had a couple of ideas where I wanted to fish, but I needed a place to rig and decided to fish there despite a spin guy fishing down below.

I had only caught one fish when my daughter called and we talked for a half hour, I continued to cast and swing the fly through the rung and by the time the call was over I had covered most of the lower section. Turning back upstream I ran into a couple of trout bros, one was bobber nymphing and the other was casting a small streamer I think. They hadn't caught any so far. PEOPLE!

I went to another spot and there were more PEOPLE, so I decided to drive on home.

By woolly bugger

68 and partly cloudy

One car in the lot, up or down I didn't know. It was after 2 o'clock and the water was dingey and about 6" lower that the new normal flow.  I was thinking streamers, but took along the nymphing rod too.  Sure was a pretty day, and it was amazing to see how much the leaves had turned in only five days.

When I got down the trail to where I could get a clear view downstream I saw a dude fishing one of my runs, thought for a moment to high hole the intruder, but he was too close for that.

We spoke, me hollering from the bank, I thought he was throwing streamers, but was nymphing without luck, I wasn't sure of his technique and neither was he, a young fellow. I left him casting away and headed on down below where he said he had started.

Couldn't find a fish nymphing, so switched to the trusty rusty trombone and went on down to the lower run of this reach. They liked it and I caught a handful in short order. Dredged the bottom with a nymph and caught a pune.

here is what the afternoon looked like...

By woolly bugger

The streamer bite was slow. Someone might have been in earlier. I did catch a fish.

It was a feckless day.

Fresh footprints  :gun   PeopLE!

Nice place to camp on an island

I enjoyed this festbier while listening to the river and looking at the fall colors

The crunch of fall on the way out.

The arsenal

Spectacular sunset on the drive home

I finished listening to All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr https://amzn.to/3ExY4qk
By woolly bugger

worked a lower reach with a streamer, got a bump and a bite, no fish to hand. I was planning to girdle bug on the way back up but the effects of the Moderna Booster that I got 4 hours earlier zapped my motivation.

On the drive I saw a Google Street View vechicle.

On the river I saw a bald eagle

and some DSFK

By woolly bugger

56 or so degrees, layered up a bit, some rain early on, but the sun tried to come out later and there was a nice sunset on the drive home.

going low in the afternoon with the adjusted damn flow.

was contemplating switching over to girdle bugs, but the rod was rigged for streamers

I hit the usual spots from the near side without moving a fish. Then I crossed over a popped the top on a festbier while changing over to a dirty double drop shot setup. While working the back side of a pool I noticed a young interloper across the way. Where the fuck did he come from. Obviously, I was focused on my fishing and didn't see him come in. I paid him no attention, but he eventually caught my eye and waved hello. I raised my beer and continued fishing.

I watched as he appeared to move downstream and I wondered if he was one who was leaving boot prints that I had seen in recent trips. Oh, crap, he's coming across to my side. I better move on up before he high holes me. I moved on up quickly to Fred's Pool as I saw him moving up from below. I hooked and played a fat and feisty brown into the net. Trout bro below was watching. I kept the net in the water and readied my camera to snap a pic, but the fish was too hot to handle and I was only able to capture a glimpse of the fish in a video. I continued to work this run as the trout bro came up and called out "Nice fish!" he waited for a reply and I grudgingly retorted, "yup". He then asked, "Having much luck today?" "Nope" I replied as I turned my back to him.  He moved on back downstream and when I looked again, he was joined by trout bro #2. Double crap. I thought they were going to make a run up to the top and high hole me again, so I made tracks to get there. The pressure was on. Who are those guys?

All I got for my efforts was a short strike.

I watched them as they moved across the river and up into the field. I wasn't sure what was up with that.

I went back down and across to where I had started the afternoon swinging streamers and managed to find a fish interested in the stonefly imitation. 

The return of Stolen Hours

#110 54 degrees. Partly cloudy. Getting in a fe[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Damn Po you must eat like a fucking King :bow

Luau 2021

I tried to be an influencer once. All I wanted was[…]

strong work :smile

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine