This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Redchaser
About 5 years ago, Lurgee and I fished the marsh together on MLK weekend and had a spectacular trip https://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/viewtop ... 19#p684219 . Because of that we have tried to make a tradition of making a trip each year on MLK weekend.

This year Pale Dan, a friend from Colorado flew down to join us, Lurgee was accompanied by his son Max and our friend French Eric came over from Houston with his skiff and a neighbor as well. La Fly Guy even drove over and joined us for a day of being tortured in 40 mile an hour winds as well.

Great fish were caught, great food was ate, and good times were had. I’m not quite sure why, but every time I got on the front of the boat a black drum would pop up. I only caught 2 redfish and a bazillion bleks, Pale Dane upped his personal best redfish 4 times, Max did his usual and slayed fish putting on a clinic for some out of state Douchebags who were on the same flat, French Eric and his buddy put bulls in the boat too.

On Monday Pale Dan and I were fishing, he had caught several redfish including an 18# and 20# fish, his first real bulls, I of course had caught a bunch of black drum. It was getting late, almost time to exit. We were about 700 yards from the cut to get out of the pond we were in. I told Pale Dan “you’re going to catch your tank on the inside of the point right by the exit/entrance to the pond. It was the only spot in the pond where the depth varied it was slightly deeper. I started poling him along the banks toward the exit, after making a turn around a point he hooked up to a nice black drum. I told him I would keep poling while he fought it because we were running out of time, he fought and landed and released the drum while I poled, we finally made it to the inside point near the exit and with 15 yards and about 60 seconds of fishing left to do a fish popped up off port, Pale Dan dropped the fly in front of it and we saw the huge mouth open and eat, within a few seconds the fish had Pale Dan deep in his back, rod bent deep. Pale Dan finally got the fish to the side of the boat, it was over 28 pounds, caught at the last possible moment exactly where I told him it would happen. As soon as the fish was released I cranked the engine slammed the throttle down and we were off, the hurried rush of having to get in gear and run back never gave the adrenaline rush of catching that fish a chance to fade and we were still jacked when we got to the launch.

Talking to Lurgee, not only had Max caught a bunch of fish, but he had boated a bull as well. Great weekend with good friends. I hope Lurgee will add some pics of Max and fish. (Some of these pictures are mine, some were stolen from Pale Dan)

paledan pb1.jpg
paledan pb1.jpg (85.43 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
10 Minutes into the first day Pale Dan had a new personal best
paledan shallow pond red.jpg
paledan shallow pond red.jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
And another
saturday red.jpg
saturday red.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Hey look, Ron caught a red
big blek.jpg
big blek.jpg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
rubber lips.jpg
rubber lips.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
and a big blek
dan goes blek.jpg
dan goes blek.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Pale Dan caught some bleks too
blek in stupid hat.jpg
blek in stupid hat.jpg (114.19 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Oh look Ron caught another blek
paledan pb22.jpg
paledan pb22.jpg (95.18 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Then Pale Dan beat his personal best again
dan1st bull too.jpg
dan1st bull too.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
tail.jpg
tail.jpg (80.02 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
....and again
oh no blek again.jpg
oh no blek again.jpg (86.02 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Who would believe Ron caught....another blek
eyeeye.jpg
eyeeye.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
and, big surprise here.....Ron caught a blek
tank28.jpg
tank28.jpg (95.35 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
tankandtongue.jpg
tankandtongue.jpg (95.16 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
and in the bottom of the ninth, Pale Dan caught his tank

We ate good too. Ever the gent, Pale Dan showed up with chicken from Willie Mae's and we ate boiled shrimp, raw oysters and soft shelled crab Saturday night.
willie mae.JPG
willie mae.JPG (51.75 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
softshell.JPG
softshell.JPG (36.07 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
skrimp.JPG
skrimp.JPG (52.37 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
oyst.JPG
oyst.JPG (48.39 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Cheers bitches.[/color]
By slapshot
Damn that was good. It's cold as balls here. I needed that. Thanks dude
By fatman
strong :smile
By The Wandering Blues
This is the first winter we haven’t rolled south to the Gulf. And seeing all that good fishing and food is just killing me.

Looks like a perfect time.
By stillsteamin
That's just good clean fun. The low country is definitely chicken friendly. Keep telling myself I need to get back.
By Redchaser
stillsteamin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:32 am That's just good clean fun. The low country is definitely chicken friendly. Keep telling myself I need to get back.
Fried chicken is now considered required equipment when fishing the flats. The fish seem to know and are much more willing to come into the boat when you have it.
By fallen513
That's doing it right. Cheers Ron.
The return of Stolen Hours

#74 73 scattered clouds, Gas $4.45 I took a[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Halibut on a fly. Fucking impressive. :cool

Mad Max -Redfish Road

Damn it Kevin. hehehe. Strong work, gents. […]

Ladder Lake

People watching at its finest. Good shit Joe. La[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine