This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Darth Wader
Catching browns on dry flies in February.

Seriously, is there anything cooler than watching a trout drift up and take a dry fly? I can't quite describe the feeling I get while watching this phenomenon. It brings a rush of adrenaline, like you just pulled one over on mother nature, and you're hiding because you know you're about to get caught. However, there you are, tucked up in a ball, hiding as best you can, with a big smile on your face. But there is also a deep sense of peace in the feeling, as well. All is right with the world...the trouts still eat the bugs. How bad could it be?

And when the trout drifts up, taking it's time, knowing that it's meal isn't going anywhere, because you've created such a realistic impression, and been so weary in your approach, and paid so much attention to your drift...only to imitate something that happens between fish and insect thousands of times a day.
In the relatively short time I've been fly fishing, I've realized that it's not exactly relaxing. In fact, it's actually exhausting. The focus, the attention, and physical demand, in conjunction with an awareness and sense of connectivity to your surroundings, create a deep calm that I equate with a good day of honest, hard work. Of course, the earnings are of a different currency, but in my eyes, every bit as valuable.
Last edited by Darth Wader on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nllaeder
Darth Wader wrote:Catching browns on dry flies in February.

Seriously, is there anything cooler than watching a trout drift up and take a dry fly? I can't quite describe the feeling I get while watching this phenomenon. It brings a rush of adrenaline, like you just pulled one over on mother nature, and you're hiding because you know you're about to get caught. However, there you are, tucked up in a ball, hiding as best you can, with a big smile on your face. But there is also a deep sense of peace in the feeling, as well. All is right with the world...the trouts still eat the bugs. How bad could it be?

And when the trout drifts up, taking it's time, knowing that it's meal isn't going anywhere, because you've created such a realistic impression, and been so weary in your approach, and paid so much attention to your drift...only to imitate something that happens between fish and insect thousands of times a day.
In the relatively short time I've been fly fishing, I've realized that it's not exactly relaxing. In fact, it's actually exhausting. The focus, the attention, and physical demand, in conjunction with an awareness and sense of connectivity to your surroundings, create a deep calm that I equate with a good day of honest, hard work. Of course, the earnings are of a different currency, but in my eyes, every bit as valuable.
You suck.
By jerome
I agree..and stated eloquently..... i miss those days like today when i was 30 min away from buford dam... but the 40 degree and rainy feb. days were good too. Unreal midge hatches and "wild" browns on midges and small bwo's... :cool and the beers that evening at roadhouse or ga bar tasted so good after those days.... but so did the draft and wings at hooters if we couldnt make it back to A-town fast enough... :bow

still cant believe how much i would drive into atlanta to fish for trout.....
You know what I love about the south?

I saw girls laying out (southern for suntanning) during my drive through UNC campus to the see my bro in law at the hospital.
By jerome
indeed, CFKid... that jog bra and bikini hatch will start in a few weeks in Athens...... :drool: sure was nice to live in 5 pts. sit on front porch with a bowl and a good beer from 5pts bottle shop watching the ladies jog by scantily clad after catching bass wade fishing the oconee or the broad all afternoon...... :cool
By catjuggin
We hooked some nice fish on #14 gray mayflies w/ Psycho three weeks ago in the snow on the Watuaga. All nymphs/midges last weekend but we were fishing in shirt sleeves...
Keep your crappy weather up north. :vomit
Longslostrip and I are headed to NE TN / W NC in late March for some Southern Comfort.

Sounds like we should be in for some nirvana...
By befuddled
There's nothing to love about the South. Everybody stay the fuck out.
By Bird Dog
FlyPhisher wrote:indeed, CFKid... that jog bra and bikini hatch will start in a few weeks in Athens...... :drool: sure was nice to live in 5 pts. sit on front porch with a bowl and a good beer from 5pts bottle shop watching the ladies jog by scantily clad after catching bass wade fishing the oconee or the broad all afternoon...... :cool

Wow, flashback. Thanks.
By Yard Sale
DW,

Ditto. fishing is neat.

Well put sir.
2021 Smalljaw Swap

That fucker PBR better hurry up :wink

The return of Stolen Hours

GSMNP / BRFFF Roundup Good times! so glad I g[…]

whatcha tying?

Nice vise, G. https://i.imgur.com/5umX8w3l.jp[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics